Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword ID? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Sword ID?         Reply with quote

I wanted to see if anybody had any information on this type of sword. I know it's probably British and from the mid to late 18th Century, but little else. It would be nice to find a more exact date (if possible), what sword pattern it is considered, what branch of service used the sword and if the blade is typically seen on this type of sword.

A little bit about the sword. The total length is 90 cm, with a blade of 74 cm. The hilt is made of iron and the handle is carved ebony. The blade has a triple fuller and is stamped "ANDREA FARARA" in script usually seen in early 18th Century blades. The weapon appears intact and undisturbed.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Attachment: 81.74 KB
P1060666.jpg

Attachment: 86.38 KB
P1060667.jpg

Attachment: 47.16 KB
P1060670.jpg

Attachment: 41.45 KB
P1060669.jpg

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don,
I agree that it is British, and based on the blade length for an infantry officer. The guard has the features one sees on swords from the 1780s (stirrup hilt, feathered langet), but the grip and pommel have a slightly earlier look to them (1770s). I suppose I would hazard a guess at 1770s through 1780s. I would expect to see this hilt with a curved saber blade or straight spadroon blade, so perhaps the owner had some sort of Scottish affiliation or just wanted a more robust fighting blade. It is a fantastic sword! I hope ElJay and others interested in the period (and more knowledgeable than myself) chime in.

All the best,
Jonathan
Don Stanko

PostPosted: Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Jonathan, that narrows it down a lot. I agree about the blade. I thought it might have been an heirloom blade, I never considered the thought of it being a personal preference of the original owner.

Thanks again!
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a great little sword! Iron or steel lionhead instead of the usual brass! I think that maybe it could even date in the 1790s, as that little feathered langet is something fairly common during that time period.

--ElJay
Don Stanko

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Eljay!
Any thoughts on the blade? I thought it might date earlier than the hilt but I have seen swords of this time period with similar configurations, but usually on basket hilts. One surprising feature of the inscription is the addition of a religious quote "Soli Deo Gloria" to the Farara signature.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, ElJay! The guard was screaming 1780s (or later) to me, but the grip and pommel had me second guessing that feeling. It is a fantastic fighting sword.

Don, While it might be a slightly older blade, I think it could very well be contemporary with the hilt. I have seen a few late 18th-early 19th century officers' swords with identical blades. (Unless they were all older blades with newer hilts--something one sees in Britain even through the late 19th century.)

Jonathan
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding the blade, I think that it's earlier than the hilt. The fullering is pretty normal for something out of the 1600s or early 1700s, and the engraved "Soli Deo Gloria" was a common sentiment during the ECW. Heirloom blade?

However, as Johnathan points out, the blade could be contemporary with the hilt. Andria Farara is found on blades all through the 1700s, but it becomes a scarcer inscription towards the end of the century.

Would it be possible to get a good closeup of the engraving in the fullers? That could help with determining how old the blade might be.

--ElJay
Don Stanko

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some close-ups of the fullers and text.

Attachment: 63.51 KB
P1060677.jpg

Attachment: 65.83 KB
P1060678.jpg

Attachment: 102.95 KB
P1060684.jpg

E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the blade closeup photos. The style of the inscription and the Andrea Ferara and the way that they are arranged on the blade are very typical of the 1600s. The fact that it appears to be shortened makes it look even more like a family blade that was later rehilted.

--ElJay

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword ID?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic