Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The 'Official' I want a maker to make such and such thread, Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Shane Askew

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is definitely a sword I would love to get my mitts on. It's a Villanovan period short sword. Bronze, but I'd like to see one made of steel. It has a very slight "carp's tongue" point - all the better to make a very powerful and penetrating thrust, I guess - and a pronounced, very solid central rib which forms into the carp's tongue when it reaches the point. Purely from the point of view of blade geometry, this one is fascinating.
I'd personally like to see this one done in steel, but I wonder if Neil Burridge has ever seen this.

http://www.royalathena.com/media/Etruscan/Bronze/HM1055.jpg

Sorry. I don't know why I can't get this to copy the actual picture.

Attachment: 76.34 KB
[ Download ]
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As soon as I saw that I thought of Neil

I am working on finishing one of his sword blades I bought from him. I would love to do it in steel it would be fantastical looking, sort of middle earth meets warhammer 4000

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A&A should recreate this mid 17th century dutch rapier. I found these photos at the Hermann-Historica website.

Attachment: 6.09 KB
rapier dsa 1645 118cm.jpg

Attachment: 20.41 KB
rapier dsb.jpg

Attachment: 31.26 KB
rapier dsc.jpg

Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Askew wrote:
This is definitely a sword I would love to get my mitts on. It's a Villanovan period short sword. Bronze, but I'd like to see one made of steel. It has a very slight "carp's tongue" point - all the better to make a very powerful and penetrating thrust, I guess - and a pronounced, very solid central rib which forms into the carp's tongue when it reaches the point. Purely from the point of view of blade geometry, this one is fascinating.
I'd personally like to see this one done in steel, but I wonder if Neil Burridge has ever seen this.

http://www.royalathena.com/media/Etruscan/Bronze/HM1055.jpg

Sorry. I don't know why I can't get this to copy the actual picture.

Ha, I actually plan to try a steel dagger of that type tomorrow! I started on one a couple weeks ago, but the metal was too thin to get a nice rib. With Neil's bronze antenna sword on one side and a bone-hilted iron dagger on the other, I'll be a proper Romulus.

Yup, those are gorgeous!

Matthew
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All this I believe can be summed up:
Production companies are supplying historical quality with regard to configuration and handling. Theses products are available from the Windlass/Hanwei's through the Albion/A&A's, in a comparable range of historical accuracy. Available budget determines the market point a buyer can land on.
Historical quality with regard to hilt materials, workmanship and appearance (especially in the Migration era and Viking ages) requires a level of effort and carries a price tag that places these products in the custom market.
The question appears to be, can a production company (Albion being mentioned) make a successful business case for moving some of the attributes now mainly found in the custom market into production?
Ron Reimer

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love one of the big production companies such a Hanwei to produce a copy of the Conyers Falchion, in both a sharp and a rebated combat safe version .Most of the production falchions are either a later style or a shorter length than the Conyers.
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see more XVIIIc type blades made, those wide bodied bastard swords, I'm talking 2.5" to 3" blade at the base. If a middle priced company like Del Tin perhaps made one, or a Valiant Armory....I would snatch it up, assuming it was "right" in my eyes. I love the AT Phat Bastard and the Albion XVIIIc blades but one is hard to come by and the Albion's I like a lot, but don't know I LOVE either one for the price....but I am tempted by those Albion's...so tempted.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From Records of the Medieval Sword XVII.11
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Aaron Henley wrote:
I would like to see Albion produce some type XIIIb blades for their Next Generation line. .

XIIIb's and also XIII's from Albion! With some tweaking they could share the same blade.

I agree with seeing a production XIII on the market from either Albion or A&A. Some more XIIIb's would be nice as well.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably this one...

I'm not even sure of its dimensions, or handling characteristics, though I can guess and dream (and dream I do).

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind seeing this one appear in someone's line of museum recreations. Ahem.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Wallace wrote:

i was actually going to say something like this as well. you don't see too many two handed swords with parring lugs - other than Lutel. trouble is, as far as my research has gone, cross sections on current production swords of this type are a little thin. most measurements I've been finding start out with a cross section of 9mm at the ricasso. but a two hander of this type falls into more of a custom work just like the migration sword idea. if you want to get specific you might as well just get a custom.

on the other hand, i would like to see production companies show off more hexagonal and lenticular blade designs. actually more lenticular than anything else, you see so little of it.

I would be pretty happy to see any accurate two hander longer than 67" or so. Bidenhander, spadone, montante, heck even a nice version of the CAS Lowlander would be great, I'm not married to the idea of parry hooks. But no one is making a nice two hander of that length in the proper dimensions.

The lutel versions also seem a pound or two heavy, and shipping nearly doubles the cost of getting one in the states.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The 'Official' I want a maker to make such and such thread,
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: