Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maille coif arrives from Historic Enterprises. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Maille coif arrives from Historic Enterprises.         Reply with quote

This evening my latest maille purchase arrived from Historic Enterprises.

As is well known I recently purchased a riveted maille hauberk from Wholesalearmor.com. I wanted a coif to go with it, however, those being offered by Wholsale armor offer no fitting whatsovever and hang like bags upon the wearers head. I decided to purchase one from Historic Enterprises even though it was nearly as expensive as the hauberk itself.

The coif arrived safely today around 5:00pm. A cursory examination found no loose or missing rings, nor were there any missing rivets. All rivets were cleanly and evenly set. The coif features a very attractive dark oil finish that unfortunately has to go, since it doesn't match the hauberk. In fact, it's already soaking in vinegar. No hazardous chemicals this time fortunately. The rings of both garments appear to be of the same diameter and shape although the rivets in the coif are more cleanly set on the average.

I still consider the hauberk a good buy, and am very happy with it. However, I do feel that the maille being offered by Historic Enterprises is a superior product and well worth the extra cost.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Patrick,
I've got a maille fauld from HE, and I'm very happy with the quality. Apparently it's from the same people who make the Forth Armory maille, as there was a discussion about it on the Armour Archives a while back. (not a fun thread... lots of discussions and craziness about business practices of many Indian importers and such). I have a Forth Armory coif as well, and they look identicle in construction.

The fauld, though, came covered in some really disgusting junk all over it. I used the sand in a bucket technique, and it's still gross. I didn't think of vinegar, I may have to try that... though I need to find a place to do it. I live in a studio apartment with no balcony, it'll stink if I do it in here!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

I remember that thread. A lot of accusations were thrown around. That's the kind of thing that gives the internet a bad name. Other than the finish it does appear to be the same as the Forth Armoury version.

My coif was quite "nasty" as well. It's got some kind of oil on it. I don't know if it's a residual effect of the hot oil finish or if it's an additive put on for shipping purposes. I put the coif on and my face was black in short order. Big Grin

The vinegar seems to be working well in removing it. I'll leave it in over night and a quick rinse and oil should do it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jonathan Fletcher

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill

I spoke to Stephen at GDFB here in the UK and ordered some garments (I also just received a very fine aventail made from the same maille courtesy of Historic Enterprises). Stephen was very helpful and accommodating with my special requirements. To remove the grease/oil he advised a soak in 'JIZER' degreasant or something similar, followed by a wash in water (yes, water!) followed VERY swiftly by a roll around in an old duvet cover (I think you guys call them comforters: the things that keep you warm at night!) and finally if required a blow dry with a hairdryer. Quite a polava but apparently well worth the finished result. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jonathan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maille coif arrives from Historic Enterprises.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic