Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbards and Scabbard Makers... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Scabbards and Scabbard Makers...         Reply with quote

Hello All,
As I mentioned on another thread, I have just placed an order with Albion for a next-gen Gaddhjalt. This is my first sword purchase. Now I am looking for an appropriate scabbard, and I need your advice. I'd like a period integral scabbard such as the one shown with the "Big Johnsson" posted on the "PJ Museum line" thread. What would such a product cost? I can afford about $200-250, so cost is an issue. I may have to go with a simpler type. The most likely candidates seem to be Albion, CF, Triton, and Art Elwell. Does anyone know if they do this kind of work, and if so a ballpark price? Any scabbard advice or discussion is welcome.
BTW, a side issue here: When did it become common for knights to carry a dagger in addition to a sword? When did it become common to have a dagger manufactured "en suite" with the sword?

Regards,
Brian M
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Scabbards and Scabbard Makers...         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Hello All,
As I mentioned on another thread, I have just placed an order with Albion for a next-gen Gaddhjalt. This is my first sword purchase. Now I am looking for an appropriate scabbard, and I need your advice. I'd like a period integral scabbard such as the one shown with the "Big Johnsson" posted on the "PJ Museum line" thread. What would such a product cost? I can afford about $200-250, so cost is an issue. I may have to go with a simpler type. The most likely candidates seem to be Albion, CF, Triton, and Art Elwell. Does anyone know if they do this kind of work, and if so a ballpark price? Any scabbard advice or discussion is welcome.

Hi Brian,

You will NOT get a scabbard like Patrick's in the price range you are looking for. A scabbard like that will easily top the $500 mark. Albion does produce a plainer line they call the Campaign Scabbard that prices out right in the middle of your range. Wood core covered with leather that is stitched up the back, simple metal chape. For the money a top notch piece. Art Elwell could also make a scabbard in your range but your would need to send him the sword.

Harlan
Mike Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Scabbards and Scabbard Makers...         Reply with quote

Harlan Hastings wrote:

Hi Brian,

You will NOT get a scabbard like Patrick's in the price range you are looking for. A scabbard like that will easily top the $500 mark. Albion does produce a plainer line they call the Campaign Scabbard that prices out right in the middle of your range. Wood core covered with leather that is stitched up the back, simple metal chape. For the money a top notch piece. Art Elwell could also make a scabbard in your range but your would need to send him the sword.

Harlan

Hello Brian,

Harlan's suggestions are good, but bear in mind that the scabbards from Albion, Art, or even Christian Fletcher (whose work is reputed to be very nice and falls in your range also) DO NOT include the integral belt/suspension. For an additional cost, you can get this option from Albion, Tritonworks and CF, but Art does not offer it at this time (I asked him when he made my scabbard - see the "Albion Acre & Elwell Scabbard Combo" post for pics and details).

Congratulations on picking a VERY nice sword to start your collection!

Regards,

Mike
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand that the scabbard prices quoted do not include belt/suspension. However, for example, CF has the basic scabbard for $150, and CF's "Belts" page advertises an integral belt/suspension system for $95. Thus the total for such a belt/scabbard set looks to be $245. Unfortunately there is no picture of the interwoven belt, just price and description. That was what made me think a piece similar to (but not as fancy as) the piece by PJ might be within my budget. If I have to go with a basic scabbard, that's OK. But, I would like to research my options fully before deciding. I've sent e-mails to both Mr. Fletcher and Mr. Elwell, so I hope to know more details soon.
Question: On the "basic-level" scabbards (for example Albion and CF) how is the sword suspended from the belt? I don't see any obvious fittings, so I suppose it would have to be by a separate "frog" or loops in the ends of the belt?

BrianM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbards and Scabbard Makers...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic