Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mesh Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew Stepan

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Mesh         Reply with quote

So I am looking to purchase what some people refer to as chainmesh. Its modern welded chainmail that is most often made from stainless steel or more rarely from titanium. They have smaller diameter rings and an overall 'tighter' weave than traditional mail along with a lighter than traditional overall weight. These features lead to them to be referred to as a mesh or jokingly as mithril. I am looking to purchase a mesh shirt over a traditionally made shirt mainly due to weight and maintenance. The shirts are generally between 7-8 pounds and being made from welded stainless steel there is less chance of rusting occurring (though it will with prolonged malcare) or links just popping apart as happens with butted mail. I don't need the maille for SCA/livesteel fighting groups but I want a good product.

I know of three such manufactures but I was wondering if anyone could vouch for them. Or if anyone knows of other manufacturers.

1) Azon aka Ringmesh.com - Machine manufactured welded mail; more of costume quality than anything else, I have been told it doesn't hold up well by some but by others have said the opposite.

2) The Ring Lord - I was told that these shirts are better than Azon shirts as they use slightly higher gauge ring which leads to overall strength but leads to a slight increase in weight.

3) http://www.weldedchainmail.com/ - Not really mesh, but I have heard good things about this maker and about the product. This seems to be the most expensive of the three makers that I know as well as being a heavier shirt. (I have fired off an email to them with some questions)

All constructive thoughts are appreciated but remember that As I have back issues weight is important and I can't afford much more than $500.
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of the 3 you mention I've only had personal experience with Knuut's (weldedchainmail.com).
From looking at the pictures on everyone's sites Knuut's stuff looks the best to me. If you want something that looks at all historic it's really the only choice in my opinion.
I can definitely vouch for his work, I have a bishop's mantle he made for me about 25 years ago. It's saved my butt many times and it's was still in great shape when it was retired.
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be aware that Ringmesh sells two sizes of mail, #150 and #210 which is descriptive of the ring diameter in inches:
#150 has an outer diameter of 0.150" or 3.81mm using 0.53mm wire.
#210 has an outer diameter of 0.210" or 5.33mm using 0.63mm wire.

As for "traditional" mail, Wallace Collection mail shirt A7 has rings with an external diameter of 5.06mm per the Wallace. Erik D. Schmid gives the following data in the Journal of the Mail Research Society, Vol. 1 for A7:
Quote:
The links of the body (Figure 10) are of very
high quality, having a round or slightly oval
cross-section with only a small amount of flattening
occurring at the lapped joint. The creation
of links using wire of this thickness (0.027”,
0.68mm) and diameter (0.187”, 4.74mm OD.)
must have required a great deal of skill.

So the ring size on the #210 is not so fantastic, though it is smaller than average. Oddly Ringmesh's LT210 claims a weight of about 7 pounds on a similarly sized ring with longer hem and less tailored sleeves than Wallace A7. A7 does have heavier rings at collar and armpit, but it's hard to imagine these alone would double the weight.

Atlanta Armory also sells welded stainless mail, but his listed diameter is internal and not external.
http://www.atlantaarmory.com/

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mesh
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic