Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DIY article: making a full tang knife from an old saw blade Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: DIY article: making a full tang knife from an old saw blade         Reply with quote

Have a look here for a simple, to the point description of DIY knife making. In this case from an old saw blade, aka: 'Appalachian recycling'. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/07/18/how-...saw-blade/

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice looking little knife! I've made many like it from old chainsaw bars. Great steel, but very hard to grind. Big Grin .....McM
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Mark, it is a nice trim no nonsense belt knife and you did a good job on it and the sheathe.

I was wondering if you were satisfied with the handsaw blade steel as a knife blade. Handsaw blades and swords are tempered to about the same hardness and I would expect that you'd find the edge somewhat softer than you'd like. The upside, of course, is that the knife is easily sharpened.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a simple application don't need too many tools to make it either. i would think these old saws would make excellent flay knives due to how thin they are and their ability to flex.

other good sources - well everyone knows about your old files just a little bit of grinding and a new knife is in the works.
I've seen chain saw pattern welded blades, sickeningly durable.
the other one i know if, is hack saw blades. good quality hack saw blades can be L6 steel, welded together you can probably come up with a really fine pattern.

a friend of mine made a blade from an old circular saw blade, he wouldn't let me file test it so i can't tell you how good of a choice that was.
the other thing he has been trying to work with for years is an old farriers rasp, but since he doesn't has access to a forge or torch he's been kinda dead in the water with it. i watched him try to drill though it with a press and the rasp just laughed at the bit and broke it. Laughing Out Loud
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read the article more closely and the author says the blades will be slightly on the soft side which is what I expected.

One would have to change one's methods but reciprocating saw blades can be purchased for a few dollars and some are big enough to make a decent sized knife and one can keep the saw teeth on the back if one wishes.

i suppose the old high speed steel circular saw blades might make a good knife blade but I have no idea if the plate on a carbide tipped saw blade is hard enough to make a good knife or not.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DIY article: making a full tang knife from an old saw blade
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic