Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Castle Keep-Project VIDEO Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rob Miller
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 18 May, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Castle Keep-Project VIDEO         Reply with quote

One of my customers was good enough to compile my clumsy efforts into a really nice presentation on the making of her sword,it shows my working methods,in this instance a threaded tang rather than peen,welcome to my World Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ZONLnvwbs
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 18 May, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob, I was probably one of the first on myArmoury to view that video,and I cannot express words good enough now. That was spectacular. I learned more from that short film than you will ever believe. I felt every hammer-blow, felt every grinder spark sting, and felt the absolution of the final creation. I guess, in my opinion, that's the closest thing a man can feel to giving birth. Spectacular. The filming was great...and...OHH..What a view from your shop. I can only imagine the pride of the owner of such a fine piece of art. My bonnet's off tae ye, sir. Well done.....Well done. Thank you.--------McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 18 May, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgot to add----Should God grace us both to live so long, one day you'll get a commission for a big Irish twae-hander for Clan O'Mordha (Moore). Bless you, keep you...McM
Rob Miller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 18 May, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well Mark,thank you so much,its funny but i didnt know that the video was out there until today,when someone contacted me about it,originally Debra sent me a little hand held camera so i would try and balance it on various things and tell the story in pictures,i had no idea it would turn out to look so professional Wink its a great place to live and a real bonus to make my living doing something i love too,so do come and visit!
Sean G

PostPosted: Sat 18 May, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great work Rob , really good to see the sword come together from a design all the way through to the finish on video ,reminds one of just what an art form making a fine sword is . I own a couple of your fine swords and hope to own many more in my life time . Keep up the great work .
Larry New

PostPosted: Sat 18 May, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What an amazing video Rob! Truly showcases your attention to detail and hard work on such a fine piece. I am blown away at the skills you possess. Breathtaking........................Larry
Meng Lee Khaw

PostPosted: Sat 18 May, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Castle Keep-Project VIDEO         Reply with quote

Me Likey! Big Grin Fascinating video mate!
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 19 May, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this video Rob, always loved this sort of film, very educational (I'd never seen a fueller being grinded before, something I have yet to try).

The end product speaks for itself too, beautiful work all around (especially like the cross guard)

Oh and splendid scenery indeed, been walking about Scotland many times and recall very well I had to flee Skye despite the splendid surroundings, driven mad by swarms of midges Happy

Cheers,

J
Rob Miller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 19 May, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Midges...hmmm,thats a problem here,but it keeps the place from being too crowded,i am hoping i can train the bees to eat the midges somehow.
grinding a fuller straight by hand is really an acquired skill,it takes a few years until you get the 'feel' for these things. much the same as forging,it is possible to hear if a sword is straight whilst forging,weird but true,it is something in the rebound off the anvil and the note that makes,strange little things that you gradually learn to recognise.
Meng Lee Khaw

PostPosted: Sun 19 May, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob Miller wrote:
Midges...hmmm,thats a problem here,but it keeps the place from being too crowded,i am hoping i can train the bees to eat the midges somehow.

Heh...you'd probably do better with a squadron of damselflies or dragonflies...I'd suggest wasps but they're evil bastards...sorta the Waffen SS of the insect kingdom lol
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 19 May, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob, I very much enjoyed watching that video. Thank you for taking the time and effort documenting your work.
I truly envy the vista from your workshop. I live on the flat mud pancake of Uppland in Sweden. Not quite the same dramatic skyline...
:-)
Keep up the good work.
It is comforting knowing you are out there doing this.
Rob Miller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 19 May, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Peter,
likewise my friend,..you are always more than welcome if you are in the area,i am tempted to visit Sweden one of these days too,the Mrs has fond memories of her trip there,apart from the booze,which is prohibitively expensive i fear Wink
the hard work on the video was all down to Debra,i just tried to provide some raw material and she did the rest, to be fair.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Castle Keep-Project VIDEO
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic