Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I received a Christian Fletcher scabbard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Thu 16 May, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: I received a Christian Fletcher scabbard         Reply with quote

And I like it a lot, as soon as I got the belts adjusted for my liking I didn't want to take it off Laughing Out Loud

However, this scabbard is super LIGHT. Much more than I thought it would be, it has almost no weight.

The potential problem is...

I'm afraid I'm going to snap this thing.....
Without the sword in it, I know I could break the wood with little effort and that concerns me, especially since it's hollow. A little bit of pressure and (crack) I know it.

If that happens, does anyone know a do it yourself fix, such as somehow getting wood glue down there without tearing anything apart?

Has anyone accidentally broke one before? What did you do?
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 16 May, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first scabbard by him was much heavier than my most recent. There were a few years between the two and plenty of time to refine skills and designs. I believe the lighter scabbard he's trended towards puts him much closer to the mark in terms of historical accuracy. We tend to overbuild our historical our items these days, scabbards included.
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A late 17th Century sword I purchased recently has a surviving scabbard of leather over wood construction (in a rather delicate and weathered condition due to its age) and it is very light and thin indeed.

A
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the 17th C scabbard I mentioned - as mentioned it's very slim and light.

Attachment: 99.21 KB
[ Download ]
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Scabbards 17th C         Reply with quote

Hi Adam

The scabbards from this period can be exceptionally light and they can be broken easily. A few ways I have seen them die are caught between your legs, sat on by you, sat on by others, used to parry a blow, slid tip of sword through the scabbard and many more. Happy

The construction methods from this period can be quite informative as to why they are such light pieces. We have several in the oakeshott collection that are literally rolled paper cores covered in the thinest hide I have ever seen. Some with super fine stiched seams, some with glued seams. Others will have very very thin wooden slats that are held in place by the covering more than being glued together as a core. We have done replicas of these for folks over the years they can be labor intensive and difficult to find materials for. They are as you perdict susceptible to the ravages of the world and can have short lives Happy

Best
Craig
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, Interesting.

Well, if one were to have a sword on himself all day this feather light scabbard would be just the thing to have.

Just don't fall on it....
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know that a leather-core, leather-wrapped sword is possible. I also know that most of the folks who carry a sword and risk falling on it go for a "floppy" scabbard most times. A few people I know have both a wood-core AND a floppy so, if they are just strutting around they wear the wood-cored and if they are re-enacting, or, acting/performing, they switch to the floppy so they don't break the core or their hip if they have to take a dive.

My $.02

Murphy Cool

aka "Murphy"
See ya at Bristol Renaissance Faire!

The decisions we make, dictate the life we lead.

"I drank what?" -Socrates
www.celticfuryproduction.com
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Fri 17 May, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:
Hmm, Interesting.

Well, if one were to have a sword on himself all day this feather light scabbard would be just the thing to have.

Just don't fall on it....

Agreed, and if I've had to draw my sword, breaking the scabbard is going to be pretty low on my list of worries.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I received a Christian Fletcher scabbard
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic