Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New to swords, New to everything. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Pete R.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: New to swords, New to everything.         Reply with quote

Hello! I am an 18 year old student who recently took my interest in swords and medieval history to a new level and want to buy a sword finally. Ive saved up a good amount of money, and im looking for places to buy a unique and well crafted sword that would used. (I think i heard the word "beater"?) Anyways, Ive done a lot of research, but im still highly confused on what to buy based on how overwhelming all the mixed signals on the internet give me. I was at Cold steel at first, then i read an article on angelsword, which seemed magnificent to me since i am really into the whole "Spirit of the forge" and how someones hard work and heart can pour into the blade. I have received mixed signals from reviews on those swords as well. So i would really appreciate some assistance here. Im not necessarily looking for a historically accurate sword, but more a unique sword with a personal touch perhaps? I continue to hear "Hit or miss" comments and to be honest, i cannot really afford a miss at the moment being a college student.

Edit: I also prefer European style of swords.

Thanks!

-Peter
Josh Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is your budget?
Pete R.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Around the 2,500-4000 USD range. I might be able to swing 5,000 but it would require more work and more time of course.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of the sword, Pete! I think the first thing for anyone to know, in order to help you, would be: What are you interested in? What's floatin' your boat? Medieval swords? Viking age? You came to the right place! There are folks here that can steer you in the right direction, but the ultimate decision is yours alone. You seem to share a desire to have something unique...all your own. Yes? Ask, and ye shall recieve......at least to the best of our collective knowledge! Laughing Out Loud ....McM
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tell us how much money you're willing to spend, and we can better advise you.

I don't recommend the two makers that you mentioned. Cold Steel does not make quality swords. Angel swords are overpriced.

Most people here are focused on historically accurate European swords. For those, if you have enough money -

Albion Swords
Arms and Armor

For good swords around $500.00 or a little less try Valiant Armoury - They don't have anything in stock right now, but will have some things pretty soon.

For something more fantasy oriented, but still very well made, look at John Lundemo

Edited to add - I wrote this before I saw how much money you can spend. You can buy a lot of sword for that much. Look at the Albion Museum Line.

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete R.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses!

@Mark Moore

I'm primarily interested in Medieval Age European Swords. However, I am not really interested in a replica, as one of my favorite things about a sword, was how personal you could make them to yourself, almost like a bond with your favorite sword, I mean, c'mon its an extension of your arm right? haha. And yes, i would love to have a unique style, which is why angelsword appealed to me at the time, for it seemed they don't make more than 1 sword of the same look which was huge. But my analytic side, told me to step back and look at all the options. Which is the most popular and most reliable for a good quality sword to be used/practiced with? Again. Much appreciated!
Pete R.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Tell us how much money you're willing to spend, and we can better advise you.

I don't recommend the two makers that you mentioned. Cold Steel does not make quality swords. Angel swords are overpriced..

The main reason that Angel Sword really sparked my interest, was the fact of the Wootz Damascus forging. I dont see that much elsewhere and it seems almost unreal, but something i would love (obviously i do not have enough money) for a durable yet sharp metal. But again, I looked and saw some people posting how it wasn't exactly 100% true.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a few fine blades from both Albion and Arms & Armor and I would swear by either of those makers. Angus Trim is also very well thought of. Angel Sword is, as others have pointed out, extremely expensive. I would add that their blades are extremely ahistorical, which is fine if that's your thing. Someone already mentioned John Lundemo. Michael Pikula is another custom maker who does excellent work if you decide to go that route. There are others you can find with a bit of research. Christian Fletcher can make custom fittings and scabbards for Albion made blades, which is another great way to get a weapon you can trust with an individual flair.

Good luck and have fun. I'm sure most of us remember the thrill of our first sword. Savor it! Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been collecting swords for a long time, 35 years or so. I have owned many kinds of swords and handled many more. First, I would never buy an Angel Sword product. They make swords in only the very broadest terms, what they really make are art-deco wall hangers that sort of look like swords. I have handled their swords at renfaires and most of them have two long and two skinny a blade. The blades themselves are stiff and I do not think hand made. They will not increase in value as they claim.

I own swords from all of the makers recommended by others to you and with the exception of Angus Trim I would recommend all of the makers mentioned. Nothing wrong with an Angus Trim sword, they are well made but of the three I own I only really like 1 of them.

you can poke around here
http://abnsmith.deviantart.com/
and see about half of what I own. feel free to ask any questions you might have

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion Svante. A luxury sword that has a fantasy look to it but which is 100 percent historical. if your tastes change, you'll still have something fantastic to enjoy.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/johnsson/...svante.htm

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pete,

Is there any time period you prefer in the Middle Ages? Do you want a single handed sword? A long sword or a great sword for use with two hands? Do you want a sword well suited to cutting? Do you want a sword with a more acute thrusting point? Answering some or all of these questions will help you to narrow down your search.

The only medieval swords I currently own right now are all by Albion. I love them. Their handling is superb, their appearance is beautiful in an understated way, as real medieval swords are, and they are extremely high quality pieces. If I were in your position, I would definitely go with an Albion. As others have said, avoid Angelswords: a bunch of slick marketing for a grossly overpriced, non-historical, subpar functioning product.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you like historically inspired fantasy swords, Odin Blades or Fable Blades would be interesting to you.
http://odinblades.com/
http://fableblades.com/
Pete R.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really appreciate all the assistance! It seems you guys have already saved me alot of money from staying away from certain companies. I took a look at Albion single hand swords as that seemed to have fit my look and I really enjoyed the look of Sovereign and Laird. Great looking swords but my question is where can I add the personal touches? Or make it more individual and one of a kind? I'm curious how to go about that process, I'm really big on the uniqueness on swords. Again thanks for all the help!
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pete R. wrote:
I really appreciate all the assistance! It seems you guys have already saved me alot of money from staying away from certain companies. I took a look at Albion single hand swords as that seemed to have fit my look and I really enjoyed the look of Sovereign and Laird. Great looking swords but my question is where can I add the personal touches? Or make it more individual and one of a kind? I'm curious how to go about that process, I'm really big on the uniqueness on swords. Again thanks for all the help!

If you like the Sovereign & Laird, I would suggest buying from Christian Fletcher http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Welcome.html

You can buy the sword directly from him and he can modify it for you and provide a scabbard.
Pete R.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Pete R. wrote:

If you like the Sovereign & Laird, I would suggest buying from Christian Fletcher http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Welcome.html

You can buy the sword directly from him and he can modify it for you and provide a scabbard.

That's who's site I found the sword at. And I do agree some of his works look amazing! It seems to be where I'm leaning towards for my sword. He doesent specify the metal he uses. Since I'm new to most of this what should I be looking for a good durable and decently sharp sword for use/practicing?
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pete, what do you expect to be getting out of this sword that you are trying to purchase?

Are you going to be using the sword daily? Are you going to be cutting with it? Will you be looking to study Historical fencing techniques? Is it going to sit on your wall and just look good? How do you think the sword should handle? What type of durability?

The worse thing that you could do is to spend all of your money on a sword that might look fantastic but not meet your handling or performance expectations.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I'm going to suggest that you buy a "production" sword or two first to help find out what you like.
John Malick

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Sovereign by Albion is a wonderful sword I had mine made with a steel pommel by them instead of the brass. I have had the sword for about 6 years and it still cuts beautifully and looks amazing. I just ordered a Thegn from them which should show up in late July. I strongly recommend their products.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Pete, what do you expect to be getting out of this sword that you are trying to purchase?

Are you going to be using the sword daily? Are you going to be cutting with it? Will you be looking to study Historical fencing techniques? Is it going to sit on your wall and just look good? How do you think the sword should handle? What type of durability?

The worse thing that you could do is to spend all of your money on a sword that might look fantastic but not meet your handling or performance expectations.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I'm going to suggest that you buy a "production" sword or two first to help find out what you like.

This is excellent advice. I'd also like to add that perhaps no one sword will meet Pete's needs all on its own. He has defined a very, very large budget that would allow him to purchase several choices that each meet a different aspect of his needs.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also would agree with Jason's advice. Imagine blowing several thousand dollars on a sword, only to discover you don't really like it's handling, or to find other swords that you like much better. It might be an idea to buy a few single handed Albions to figure out what you like best.

It sounds like you want a sword that is fairly agile in hand, and one that you can use for practice. Assuming your practice consists of cutting against targets and (careful) solo cutting routines, a sword like the Laird is a pretty good choice. I have heard its handling is pleasantly similar to the Knight, which is an excellent single handed sword in my view. You might also want to consider something like Albion's Squire or Prince. It might even be an idea to try out something like the Poitiers, since Type XV blades are among the most agile types I know of, without a hollow ground blade. The Sovereign also could be a good choice, if you want to experiment with a blade that has a bit more presence and authority.

If you are looking for a sword that you can safely spar with, it's best to go with something like Albion's Maestro Line MS I.33 sword. You will kill or maim someone if you try to use any of the Next Gen swords when sparring. Even if you go really slowly, all it takes is one slip up, and game over.

By the way, the idea of individuation or making a sword one-of-a-kind is, by and large, a modern preoccupation. So too, for that matter, is trying to create an individual, unique scabbard for a sword, at least prior to the 14th century. We try to create and construct unique identities through material objects that communicate something individual about ourselves and our tastes. While this certainly may have happened in some cases with medieval swords, in the vast majority of cases, this almost certainly was not so. It's true that medieval swords from the High Middle Ages very often had inlay of some sort in the blade, and if you want something that is comparatively unique on a modern recreation, get a custom one done with inlay, but only once you have a better feel for what you want in a sword (i.e. bought some production swords). I would really stay away from trying to "individuate" or "customize" my sword too much. You'll end up with something that looks non-historical and garishly modern, in my view.
Pete R.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm. Thinking about that works as well, but mainly it's a sword that I'd like to be able to use and practice with. But I understand the point of getting a practice sword as well. Any recommendations of which to start with? Also I'm not familiar with practicing certain styles and what I particularly want other than a reliable good looking sword. And I understand the look of how uniqueness can make it look modern, but I mainly only wanted my family crest in the pommel and an inscription in the blade. But yes, any practicing sites you could refer me too and seords that are good for a starter to practice then to learn my style?

Edit: Also, should the practice sword not even be that much quality? As I am only testing my styles until I find what I want for my first 'true' sword?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New to swords, New to everything.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: