Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapon test evidence Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Henry Russell

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Weapon test evidence         Reply with quote

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent studies undertaken to examine the forensic results from a weapon wound? I'm intending to do such a test for my dissertation, and am having trouble finding something more original. So any information you guys might have would be great. I thought this would be on e of the best resources to turn to.

Also, any suggestions would be great. Essentially it would be testing the weapons upon a pig carcass, and then examining the bones for distinctive damage, which could then be matched to past and future human remains as evidence of a wound from such a weapon.

'Men should either be treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injures - for heavy ones they cannot.'
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out the last post in this ARMA Forum discussion.

http://www.thearma.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24657

There are links to facebook posts of weapons tested on pig carcasses, they probably have the information you're looking for.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Blood Red Roses" has extensive forensic tables and notes. Essential reading. See also the RA-Leeds involvement in the forensic study of Richard III's remains.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While it's not up to today's standards, the work on the finds from the battle of visby in 1361 ( I think) has some interesting remains. There was a fair bit of detail on various skeletons showing extensive wound damage. I can't think of the actual name of the books..but I'm sure someone will chip in with them. I may be wrong..but I *think* the books are available somewhere on-line.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your proposed work brings to mind this:

Jason E. Lewis, "Identifying sword marks on bone: criteria for distinguishing between cut marks made by different classes of bladed weapons", Journal of Archaeological Science 35(7), 2001-2008 (2008).
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jas.2008.01.016

I don't think that the choice of bladed weapons used here was the best possible; why include fantasy weapons? It would be interesting to have some polearms included.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Henry Russell

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys this is all incredibly helpful information and reading.

Timo, I was considering polearms, since I feel they are a key part of the later medieval battlefield, but relatively ignored by scientific study. Obviously swords, axes and bows have been studied intensively.

'Men should either be treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injures - for heavy ones they cannot.'

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapon test evidence
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic