Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Marketing, Fad-words, and hype...... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Rick Barrett
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan,
You hit it on the nail though and I can be quite standoffish. Also I find at times its hard to know exactly what to post about. Rarely ever start threads and usually just add my two cents worth but I'll see if I can think of anything interesting to share maybe even an article or something. You'll have to let me know next time you're in the midwest, I'd definitely like to visit with you again.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rick Barrett wrote:
Thanks Nathan,
You hit it on the nail though and I can be quite standoffish. Also I find at times its hard to know exactly what to post about. Rarely ever start threads and usually just add my two cents worth but I'll see if I can think of anything interesting to share maybe even an article or something. You'll have to let me know next time you're in the midwest, I'd definitely like to visit with you again.

This is an interesting topic for a few reasons. I've been committed from the start to make this environment healthy for this type of exchange from knowledgeable people. So many places on the 'net aren't healthy and those "in the know" simply tune out. It's too bad. Any ideas from anybody out there on how to keep that from happening here and also to improve the situation here are more than welcome.

I was thinking the same thing, Rick, about the midwest thing. I was bummed when you were unable to make the Atlanta Show and was hoping to see you in Vegas, but I can't imagine why you'd go other than to have fun. (are there other reasons to go?) I'll have to make a trip out there to the mid-west to visit all you good people again when the weather starts to warm up just a bit.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brandon Thell

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Great topic         Reply with quote

Thank you Jason what a great topic to bring up. I know Jason and a few others have said this, but education is the answer. I myself cannot believe what I read out there, it is very scary because sadly this is what's teaching the new and younger people. Some of it actually makes me sick when I see others running with it, holding onto that bit of false information as if it were fact. My area is the Japanese sword and it has taken a long time to gain the knowledge that I have. For those of you who do not know me, I am a Japanese sword polisher. I can say I still learn new things to this day. I think that we all can say we still learn something new all the time, it may not be every day,week or month but we do.

Rick, I could not have worded some of the issues you touched on any better. I think it is safe to say that some of the smiths out there would be more than happy to answer questions you may have. That is if the question is not totally out there and just plain nonsense. That is how we learn; that is how we filter fact from ficton. Nathan, I do aplaud you for the actions you would like to take. Creating a good environment over all is what is needed. I hope more people with the right knowledge speak up more now. I know I will be doing so.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Rick, check your e-mail!
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
People love to make suggestions like this. Usually they're good ones. However, the myArmoury "team" is already pretty busy with things as they now stand. What we really need more than suggestions are new team members to help with some of these worderful ideas.

Any volunteers?

I definitely realize that people tend to glamorize the "planning" phase much more than they do the "work" phase. ;-) At the present, I balance 50-80h work weeks with a 10 credit hour class schedule (along with a multitude of other projects). However, I'm definitely not comfortable with my level of knowledge / exposure / et cetera to submit articles.

Of course, if myArmoury ever has a need for some grunt work (i.e. logging entries into the suggested section, if it ever existed), that I'd be glad to pitch in as time permitted.

Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

* Rick,

Did you get my email from about two weeks ago re: my Chinese jian? I'll try PM-ing you here...

Quote:
Ruel remembers those days as he was a regular poster on the old forums.

Ah, those were the good old days, weren't they, Joel? Back then I had both the money to be buying swords and the time to be talking about them!

* Over time, I find my attitude becoming more like Patrick's -- for better or worse! Wink I enjoy talking to newbies about swords: Not as an "expert" to a "novice," but simply as a matter of sharing mutual interests by pooling ideas. You can learn something from everyone. However, I have increasingly less tolerance for people who are willfully ignorant, ie. those who refuse to apply any critical thinking to what they (think they) know. And increasingly, too, I find it harder not to call such people out on that willful ignorance.

* Nathan, I've sent you a PM also. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Marketing, Fad-words, and hype......
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: