Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on finish Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
Just to be clear, I am not talking about corrosion or patination. I am talking about actual artifacts of the production proccess that would be seen on a sword fresh from the cutler's shop. I would not consider any of the swords shown to be less than decent quality, quite the opposite, they are all high-quality weapons. I tried to find pics of swords with minimal corrosion, patination and dammage from working life or after to give us as good an idea of possible of how they would have appeared when new.

The pieces I have which are not composed of simple modern homogenous steel (like 1075) all have a different finish which seems to come from the material and it's properties.

I have a reproduction sheer steel eating knife with a finish quite similar to some of the above historic pieces. My Barta sword which uses his handmade steel and iron core has a different finish than my Albions. The same is true with two reproduction seaxes- both using an iron body and a laminated steel edge. The seaxes are made by different craftsmen and the iron has been treated differently so at least the wrought portion between them does look different.

All the rest of my weapons- Albion's, A&A's, and Tod's Stuff, which are made of one homogenous steel- have a more "static" surface and sheen. There is a difference in the texture of homogenous modern steel and sheer, laminated, or other handmade blade materials.

I personally love the look of traditionally made steel and iron and would like to collect only pieces utilizing these materials but I still get pulled in and do purchase homogenous steel pieces- which certainly aren't going to cost as much.
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack Savante wrote:
Probably the best example of Royal swords being the swords receiving the most attention is the sword from the cover of Oakeshott's 'Record of the Medieval Sword.'

I'd love to see a medieval sword belonging to the rank and file finished to that level if anyone can show me one...
(Swords that have been refinished in modern times naturally don't count...)

Oakeshott actually describes several swords in Records that display a very high standard of finish and are not of royal attribution or connected to anyone of significant rank. I've also seen examples at the Leeds Royal Armouries that had superb finishes and also had no known royal or noble connections.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good point Jeremy, sometimes it can be difficult to differentiate between the streaky structure of the steel itself and the streaky effect due to surface finishing in a picture. I would love to see any pics of the surface finish of your shear steel knife. George Ezell very kindly sent me a piece of shear steel to work with, and I can't wait to see what that steel looks like when finished. I am pretty sure that in most of the blades pictured above the streaking we are seeing is made up of surface scratches, but at least some of them seem to show a subtle laminated structure in the fabric of the steel itself too.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
Good point Jeremy, sometimes it can be difficult to differentiate between the streaky structure of the steel itself and the streaky effect due to surface finishing in a picture. I would love to see any pics of the surface finish of your shear steel knife. George Ezell very kindly sent me a piece of shear steel to work with, and I can't wait to see what that steel looks like when finished. I am pretty sure that in most of the blades pictured above the streaking we are seeing is made up of surface scratches, but at least some of them seem to show a subtle laminated structure in the fabric of the steel itself too.

Here is a picture of my eating knife which shows a bit of the finish. I can't take a close-up right now to show the sheen but this gives some idea.

Attachment: 175.32 KB
eating knife pic1.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on finish
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: