Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mayhawke Armory/JF Schroeder Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Mayhawke Armory/JF Schroeder         Reply with quote

Currently, I own two Mayhawke pieces. I have both their Katzbalger and a Main Gauche. I know that these were both JF Schroeder pieces before Mayhawke bought them out. I was wondering how current Mayhawke quality compared to the old JF Schroeder stuff. I am very happy with my two Mayhawke pieces aesthetically, but certain issues popped up when i first bought them. These included screw off hilts (not loose, but still removable---cleaning feature?), fouled up leather handle on the katz, creased scabbards, crooked blade alignment (remedied by screw-off hilt), and large amounts of rust prior to purchase. All of these were remedied, and I found their prices to be well within my range. I was also happy with Mayhawke's selection, their line apparantly has many styles of swords/knives that are not produced by other companies/blacksmiths. All of the problems I had were remedied fairly quickly, but it was still a little suspicious.

Thanks!

PS: I noticed that the Mayhawke line swords STILL carried the old JF Schroeder "pound" mark....odd...I would think that they might have been Schroeder originals, but i was told mine were made in India....just curious
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayhawke Armory/JF Schroeder         Reply with quote

I don' t know if anyone else will be able to answer this, but I used to work for Mayhawke so:

Mayhawke is a retailer not a maker. They purchased the remaining stock from JF Schroeder a few years ago. All the stuff was made in India under JF Schroeder's direction, which is why it has a consistent mark. Mr. Schroeder took care to spec out designs and work with the Indian manufacturing companies until they produced a product that met his satisfaction. It often took several tries and many shipments during development to get it to where he liked it, but everything was made in India. In my opinion, they were among the best pieces to come out of there during that time and still compete favorably with the best coming out of there now.

I used to own both pieces you have, by the way. You can see them in My Collection Gallery.

D. Rosen wrote:
Currently, I own two Mayhawke pieces. I have both their Katzbalger and a Main Gauche. I know that these were both JF Schroeder pieces before Mayhawke bought them out. I was wondering how current Mayhawke quality compared to the old JF Schroeder stuff. I am very happy with my two Mayhawke pieces aesthetically, but certain issues popped up when i first bought them. These included screw off hilts (not loose, but still removable---cleaning feature?), fouled up leather handle on the katz, creased scabbards, crooked blade alignment (remedied by screw-off hilt), and large amounts of rust prior to purchase. All of these were remedied, and I found their prices to be well within my range. I was also happy with Mayhawke's selection, their line apparantly has many styles of swords/knives that are not produced by other companies/blacksmiths. All of the problems I had were remedied fairly quickly, but it was still a little suspicious.

PS: I noticed that the Mayhawke line swords STILL carried the old JF Schroeder "pound" mark....odd...I would think that they might have been Schroeder originals, but i was told mine were made in India....just curious

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
D. Rosen

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are they still being produced under Mayhawke's direction now? How do 'their' weapons overall quality compare to other companies?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Rosen wrote:
Are they still being produced under Mayhawke's direction now? How do 'their' weapons overall quality compare to other companies?

To my knowledge, no, they aren't being made any longer. The person who originally owned Mayhawke sold it several years ago, and though I've had conversations with the new owner, I don't know him personally and don't follow what they're doing now days. It would be best to ask them.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
D. Rosen

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have, but some were a little suspicious/contradictory.....it was weird. I don't exactly remember what the questions were about....but even so... How did Schroeder quality compare to some of today's more popular companies/smiths?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Rosen wrote:
I have, but some were a little suspicious/contradictory.....it was weird. I don't exactly remember what the questions were about....but even so... How did Schroeder quality compare to some of today's more popular companies/smiths?

As I already said in my first post, it compares favorably to other Indian-made factory stuff and things within its price range. To elaborate, I was/am much happier with all my Schroeder pieces than any other indian-made pieces I've owned. They were better researched, better proportioned, and better made; though a bit heavy as were many things during that time of reproductions being made.

It doesn't compare favorably to higher-end stuff like ATrim, A&A, Albion, etc. and other things that are in a higher price range, but that is to be expected. You get what you pay for.

James Aldrich

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My current link to Mayhawke hasn't worked for a couple weeks. I was surprised to see them selling at Bristol Renaissance this year. I recall they had a Musketeer sword on display at very close to what I paid Schroeter directly years ago.

I've always considered that sword a bargain for re-enactment and display. I was very happy that it was easily disassembled when it was soaked in a downpour the first time I carried it on the field.

I have the companion dagger as well [via Mayhawke] but I could never warm up to its vestigial pommel. Recently I scavenged its handle to replace a broken grip on a Darkwood "military smallsword." That worked out so well it made the dagger purchase worthwhile in retrospect.

The wheellock kit I purchased from Schroeter is another story altogether . . .

JSA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mayhawke Armory/JF Schroeder
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic