Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identifying Antique Flintlock Maker Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Identifying Antique Flintlock Maker         Reply with quote

Afternoon folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me with identification of an old flintlock I have had in my family since I was a lad.

Unfortunately, I simply CANNOT make out the makers' mark, it appears to read Cobla / Coola / Coblo or replace the 'C' with a 'G'. It is most frustrating!

I have tried 'rubbing' to reveal it, photographing and zooming in, I even looked at it thru night vision infra red and played with the filters-all to no avail!

There are 2 separate marks of crossed spears, with a crown above on the left side of the barrel.

It is clearly not in good condition or valuable, but it would be nice if I can find out a little about it.

Does anyone remotely recognise any of the markings or stylisations which might reveal what it could be?

I have taken the liberty of attaching a couple of photos if any kind souls might be able to help.

Many thanks in advance,
Regards,
Ian
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

scrap that, it doesnt appear that I can upload pics! I dont have software to resize. Shame, thanks anyway
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Grant wrote:
scrap that, it doesnt appear that I can upload pics! I dont have software to resize. Shame, thanks anyway

I sent you a link to our FAQ which includes a link to an online resource to resize your images without need for software.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for that sir, I persevered- I have photoshop which is WAY too complicated, but i cracked it!

This is the photograph of the maker first, i shall resize some more of the rest of the pistol.

Incoming.......

Attachment: 187.49 KB
[ Download ]
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
the mark of a crown over crossed sceptres (not spears) is that of the Board of Ordnance at the Tower of London, or the Proof Mark of the Birmingham Proof House (they are very similar to each other). Without pictures I cannot help any further.

Neil

N Melville
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The crossed sceptres with crown......

Attachment: 173.14 KB
[ Download ]
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some detail at the end of the barrel.....

Attachment: 233.97 KB
[ Download ]
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...and finally the overall pistol.

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply, please let me know if this is enough of it to identify?

While I'm here, is this the place for antique knives as well? I was bequethed some as a lad, and have never known what they are! They appear to be turkish or that neck of the woods.

I'm building some display cases for my grandfathers' WW2 memorabilia, with rememberance day this Sunday coming, and it might be nice to be able to identify them as well, since he picked them up during his service.

Attachment: 203.01 KB
[ Download ]
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK...

It is hard to tell much from your photos but I will take a stab at it. It appears to be English, late 18th to early 19th c. The marks on the barrel are British Board of Ordnance proof marks. These marks were put on private gun makers' pieces which were proved at the official government proof houses at the Tower of London until 1797 when that function was moved to Birmingham. This service was available for any gun maker who paid the fee. The name, whatever it is, does not appear in any of my references but there were many, many makers of pistols in GB at the time and a lot of them made just a few guns before going out of business. The engraving on the barrel and tang indicates it was made for the civilian trade not the military. It is too bad that so much of it is missing although I doubt the missing parts would provide much assistance in identifying the gun.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, now we can see the marks and the whole pistol it is English, late 18th century from its form, proved at the BoA at the Tower of London. Somebody with access to the big dictionary of London gunmakers might be able to find a name to fit yours, but I can't find anyone similar at that time.
Neil

N Melville
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to post that. It is nice to find out some more about it.

I will have to track down this dictionary and see if I can identify the makers' name.

As someone said, however, its a shame its in such bad condition, I guess my cowboys and indians as a lad hastened its demise! Although the fact that I played with it did instill an interest in old flintlocks, and I might well go on to collect some much nicer pieces in the future, in which case it wasn't such a waste!

I've dug out my old knives now, so i'll post them up in a new thread for any kind folks who might help me shed some light on them as well!

Regards
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being still not a great deal further forward with identifying this pistol, I came across an old flyer for Colts firearms, with the writing that is very similar to mine. Does anyone know if they made flintlocks, and if this is likely the makers' mark?
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the Colts label....

Attachment: 23.58 KB
TL36.jpg

Neil Melville

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, Colt did not make flintlocks, and the label that you posted is in a 'copperplate' script which was universal in the 19th century (and later) and so does not help in identifying your maker. Sorry.
Neil

N Melville
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like you have what was a nice quality pistol there..maybe not top of the range..but certainly not munitions grade either. If I recall..that roller on the frizzen spring was only used for quality work. I doubt it could be retored to great condition..but it's not beyond salvation either. I hope you can eventually track down the maker.
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok thanks, Colts off the list!

And when you mention restored to a better condition, what kind of restoration do you mean? I have tracked down a company that do reproduction trigger guards which I have considered, but do you mean restore the actual metal.

On close up photos, it looks really pitted, but it looks acceptable when viewed normally.

Can this metal be restored, and is that what you meant~? The timber stock, too, could do with a little sanding!

If anyone could explain what would be involved or necessary in restoring this gun, I would be most appreciative.
Stephane Rabier

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
I read something like Cook, Cooler... but I don't know the British gunmakers well.
Did you search here : http://books.joesalter.com/PDF/Gun%20Lock%20Makers.pdf ?
Ian Grant

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, thank you, I came across this list only last week!

I also thought the only name that appeared similar was Cook, or Cooke, but as much as I want it to fit, I don't think it is either of those two.

I tried Cooke, but google search doesn't give me any satisfactory results for any of my search terms.

I'm still trying......

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identifying Antique Flintlock Maker
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic