Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion blade damage--fact and fiction Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Joe-

This is totally off-topic, but maybe that's a good thing here:

Judging by your collection over the years and now your recent martial arts interest, I'm guessing that you've had no more than a passing interest in this earlier period stuff like the Celtic weapons. What I'm curious about is this: Having seen some quality reproductions first-hand, and being exposed to many topics on the forums discussing them, have you found that your interest in the earlier stuff has increased?

For me, I know that I only found this stuff to be vaguely interesting. But having read all these posts by Nate Bell, Peter Johnsson, Kirk Spencer, ertc, I'm finding that my interest is definitely being piqued! I've also found this same thing true for other "earlier" period stuff like the Viking swords and whatnot. It's been really fascinating to me and the passion that these guys convey as they discuss has fueled the subject.

I'm wondering if you, or anyone else, have experienced this, too..

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Once again, I've been feeling swamped with work and life in general-- I'm feeling really out of touch with the forum and have been trying to play catch-up (which is oh so hard when there are so many interesting posts).

Like others, the rumours have passed me by, so this is news to me-- nonetheless, I wanted to add my voice to the praise that's been given to Shane's work. Outstanding! I can remember the pics Nathan posted of the sword's progressive creation... seeing it whole is a real treat. Kudos to both of you for making it a reality.

David
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Hey Joe-

Judging by your collection over the years and now your recent martial arts interest, I'm guessing that you've had no more than a passing interest in this earlier period stuff like the Celtic weapons. What I'm curious about is this: Having seen some quality reproductions first-hand, and being exposed to many topics on the forums discussing them, have you found that your interest in the earlier stuff has increased?

For me, I know that I only found this stuff to be vaguely interesting. But having read all these posts by Nate Bell, Peter Johnsson, Kirk Spencer, ertc, I'm finding that my interest is definitely being piqued! I've also found this same thing true for other "earlier" period stuff like the Viking swords and whatnot. It's been really fascinating to me and the passion that these guys convey as they discuss has fueled the subject.

In all honesty not really or perhaps not yet. I really have a fondness for things of the Upper Rhine since most of my ancestors come from the region. Quite a few Scottsmen in the mix too, but I'm just drawn to the German side for some reason. I think its mainly because I know a bit about them. Where they came from, when they left, and such. The end result is it gives me a connection for some reason otherwise lacking.

That and that fact that I try to limit my spending by being a bit specific.

I appreciate the art in the Celtic stuff, but I don't connect to it the same way. Same with Roman, English, Japanese, Chinese, Malay, Arabic, and so on. I appreciate things, but I don't neccessarily connect with them if that makes sense.

Now, if I find out I had a bunch of Celtic ancestors and learned a bit about them, my perspective might quickly change.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Regrinding the blade         Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Many of you offer very good suggestions and helpful hints about "fixing the blade in question, or simply leaving it as-is. With the utmost respect and very great appreciation for your kindnesses, I have to say that it won't work.

At the end of the day, we have a blade with a very hard heat treat all around the edges. I would want the edges to be historically appropriate, so then with a re-grind we are still talking about a blade with a 60 or so Rockwell and very thin edges. And that's what got us the chip in the first place, most likely.

If it were reground or left as-is, I could not really cut any harder targets, even period appropriate harder targets, with confidence. It's just due to the fluky combination of the experimental heat treat and this period design, those don't mix.

Thanks very much for your kind thoughts.

Also, I know Shane is travelling today, but I am sure he will be most pleased to finally see the appreciation of his great work on the sword. And I know the helpful comments are geared toward helping save this nice looking sword, which is yet another compliment. Thanks for that.

N
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Yep, Nathan, count me among that number. I've still got a del tin celtic leaf that needs rehilting, and I'm still trying to decide on what I want to do with my early Albion era bare Al Massey leaf blade. . .

and I've got to say again, that PJ celtic protoype I got to examine was a little demon Cool
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a time when I was very interested in Celtic arms and culture. Talking with Nate B. last month, as well as a few upcoming features we've been working on for myArmoury, has really rekindled my interest in this particular period.

Still waiting to here from Patrick Barta Wink

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Mark Weldon

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate's definitely right about the standard Albion blades. When he hit the pvc with my Migrationd D it was a full power swing--nothing soft about the hit. Not only was there no edge damage, there wasn't even any noticeable scratching.

Unfortunately, I had to miss this last gathering.

Mark
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Thomas Jason wrote:
I'm beginning to think some of Albion's competition is behind these rumors.

The post over on SFI was shut down by a moderator who has a clear conflict of interest.

Nothing at all controversial or political in the thread either.

A statement like this is very ill-advised, and fuel for another destructive, tiresome, and ultimately pointless conflict in the sword communtity. Please, folks, let's back off, at least until you've got more definite information.

FWIW here is a thread on the other forum - http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40890 - where the moderator in question defended Albion from a mistaken accusation of bad craftsmanship. See the post at the end of the thread.

Very true Roger.

I'm not pointing a finger or accusing anyone as this is just a rhetorical statement. However, these issues are an excellent example of why a manufacturer should not be a moderator on a discussion forum where the competitions products are discussed. It raises too many concerns and creates conflicts over conduct and behavior.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I'm not pointing a finger or accusing anyone as this is just a rhetorical statement. However, these issues are an excellent example of why a manufacturer should not be a moderator on a discussion forum where the competitions products are discussed. It raises too many concerns and creates conflicts over conduct and behavior.

I really don't want to open this up for discussion. I'm sure we're all opinionated about it, but this isn't the place to talk about it. Laughing Out Loud

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

I really don't want to open this up for discussion. I'm sure we're all opinionated about it, but this isn't the place to talk about it. Laughing Out Loud

Your absolutely right. However.......................................................... Razz

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate,

Shane really does deserve some praise for his work and I hope he is able to stick with it.

Eventhough it not my collecting niche, I was really impressed with the care and attention to detail that went into it. The hiltwork was like nothing else I've ever handled and inspected up close. While that is not as grand and sweeping a statement as it may sound; this was still a very memorable piece of craftsmanship that I'm glad both of you shared.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Weldon wrote:
Nate's definitely right about the standard Albion blades. When he hit the pvc with my Migrationd D it was a full power swing--nothing soft about the hit. Not only was there no edge damage, there wasn't even any noticeable scratching.

Unfortunately, I had to miss this last gathering.

Mark

Actually a whole bunch of Albion blades have cut up quite a bit of PVC at these affairs without incident.

Normally we only have issues with poor cutting technique that rockets pool noodles in high arcs that ultimately land in the neighbor's yards. I'm always curious what the neighbors actually think about the whole affair.

Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the kind words everyone.

If this blade had been one that I had forged up in a piled construction, then of course I would put more work into saving it. As it is though it is a basic mono steel blade that would require grinding the edges down, normalizing, checking for cracks, regrinding a new profile taper, to get back to square one. It would never be the same sword again though. Then I still don't know how comfortable I would feeling selling it. The blade was sent to Albion, so unless it comes back I don't expect to see it again. Really though if I did get it back the most I would probably do is take it and do a traditional sacrifice of the blade, then go bury it somewhere for a few years. Not to try to create a fake, but more of a study.

I did get word from Mike that they have sent out the replacement blade and it should be waiting for me when I get back in town.

Thanks again everyone.

Shane
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Hey Joe-

Nathan,

I have had the same experience - my interest has always been 14th and 15th century swords, but as I have saw some of the broader bladed cutting swords from earlier periods being reproduced, I became much more interested in them. I had considered them plain and unsubtle, but I now see how wrong I was.

Then I saw the stunning sword by Patrick Barta with the jeweled hilt and became much more interested in weapons from before the 10th century. Unfortunately, my collecting dollars will only stretch so far...

Gordon Clark
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Actually a whole bunch of Albion blades have cut up quite a bit of PVC at these affairs without incident.

Normally we only have issues with poor cutting technique that rockets pool noodles in high arcs that ultimately land in the neighbor's yards. I'm always curious what the neighbors actually think about the whole affair.

All of my swords that I have cut with have smacked the PVC pipe at least once on accident, always with no damage whatsoever. In fact, I was swinging my Baron single-handed a few weeks ago and took a huge chunk out of the PVC pipe I use to hold pool noodles. My ArmArt and Baron have also hit the concrete paver stones on my patio at least once apiece with no damage at all. I have also rocketed pool noodles into my yard. Happy

When I had my party, we sent noodles flying into both of my neighbors yards (and one into the side of one of their houses). Nothing was ever said, though one neighbor put their house up for sale soon after...... Happy Just to keep from freaking out my neighbors, I try to do my cutting when they aren't out in the back yards.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

I have. The combination of knowledge and enthusiasm is infectious, like walking a landscape with a geologist. Just looking at the pictures is interesting, but lookingat the pictures while someone is using them to try to enhance an intelligent discussion is much better. I've particularly enjoyed the celtic swords discussion. Thanks for poviding an environment in which it can take place.
Geoff
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking sword in the pics,
Great looking hilt work,
As to the chip thing, first i heard was elsewhere when the moderator to my reading fairly said this isnt worth discussing,the facts are already elsewhere,

The reading seems to point to the experimental heat treat-high rockwell--But is there a chance of it just being a flaw in the steel? reading here and there a few have mentioned of different Kak added to steels in recycling,
making old iron-steel a real bonus when you can find it, or sourcing a newly made clean steel non recycled at higher expense,
just a thought,

Looks nice work Shane,

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion blade damage--fact and fiction
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: