Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your Sharp longsword for Liechtenauer/Fiore etc. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Your Sharp longsword for Liechtenauer/Fiore etc.         Reply with quote

Those of you out there that practice German or Italian longsword arts, I am asking this, what is your sharp longsword that you use? or if you don't have one what would you consider using?
Thats if you do, or would practice with a live blade..solo practice that is..

I'm asking this as have have been looking into live blades, not so much on the cutting side (ok just a little) but more realistic and representive of what would have been seen during the 15th C. in regards to the above said Arts..

So far I know XVa, XVIIIb, XVII, XVI seem to have been popular, the two former more so during the bulk of the 1400's.

I have really only looked into Albions, A&A's and Tried&True Armory..

cheers.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I mostly have used my Sempach and my Squire Line Bastard Sword (Type XVa). More recently, I picked up a Crecy and a Castellan, but the only sharp that I have with me at the moment is my Castellan, and it still needs a hilt (I picked it up from the Moat Sale). By far, the sword I have used most for practicing longsword is my Liechtenauer.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I use mostly my Liechtenauer also, I'd most likey base a sharp off that, pity Albion don't make a sharp eqivelent (same funiture etc.), although in weight and size the Earl fits..
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I rotate between most of my sharps for solo drills, but if I were to pick one favorite, it'd be my Albion Munich. It's probably my favorite in terms of overall "handiness"... but note that I say it's "probably" my favorite. I tend to be very fickle when it comes to picking my favorite sword, tending to love the one that happens to be in my hand at a particular moment. I'm sure my girlfriend is happy to know that this roaming attitude is only reflected in my weapons and not my women. Happy
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I practice the Italian style, and shockingly use an albion Fiore. I actually chose it for the disk pommel rather than the name. I also have an AT1592 that I really like. It's six inches longer but weighs about a half pound less. The Fiore is still quicker though, because the weight is so well centralized. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. The AT feels like a well tuned instrument. Like a four foot scalpel. But the Fiore is both faster, and hits harder.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the Albion Mercenary, due to how short, stout, and handy it is. I like to get in close, so overall blade length is not an issue for me. The length works more to my advantage that a longer sword would. at least in my case.
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use the sword I made out of Albion moat-sale blade a few years ago, I believe, it has the blade quite similar to the Sempach (Type XVII), I made it with disk pommel and have enjoyed cutting with it quite a lot.
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love my Arms & Armor Durer
Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I'm supprised to say that I over looked the A&A Durer, T.Arndt, how do you find it in terms of general use ie: practice and cutting and is it peened or hexed? compression or wedged to together like Albions?
cheers..
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes I use mostly my Liechtenauer also, I'd most likey base a sharp off that, pity Albion don't make a sharp eqivelent (same funiture etc.),

Well actually, they do make a sharp that is a very near equivalent. What you need Jimi is a Brescia Spadona. The grip is long and similar in length to the Liechtenauer. The guard, while not identical, is similarly broad and straight. The scent stopper pommels, while again being not identical, make these two swords close cousins. More to the point, look at the side-by-side stats for the two swords:

Bresica Spadona
Overall length: 46.5" (118 cm)
Blade length: 35.25" (89.5 cm)
Blade width (at base): 2.25" (5.72 cm)
COG: 3.5" from cross (8.9 cm)
COP: 19.75" from cross (50 cm)
Weight: 3 lbs 4 oz (1.47 kilos)

Liechtenauer
Overall length: 47.5" (120.65 cm)
Blade length: 36.5" (92.7 cm)
Blade width: 1.9375" (4.9 cm)
PoB: 3.875" (9.8 cm)
CoP: 22.75" (57.8 cm)
Weight: 3 lbs 7.5 oz (1.58 kg)

Notice that in all cases, the stats are quite close to one another, particularly in terms of blade length, which relates to overall shape. If I wanted a sharp to match my Liechtenauer, I'd buy a Brescia.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AHah if only I had the money for a sword that extravagant! I'm quite liking the A&A Durer now so that goes in the list, as the Munich is a bit out of reach as well..dam exchange rates!
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jimi Edmonds wrote:
Well I'm supprised to say that I over looked the A&A Durer, T.Arndt, how do you find it in terms of general use ie: practice and cutting and is it peened or hexed? compression or wedged to together like Albions?
cheers..

• I regularly use this sword for solo drilling; I love the way it handles. It is a bit similar to a cross between the Albion Munich and Earl in handling; however, I believe not being hollow ground gives it a different feeling that I personally prefer. (It could be some other factor as well that causes the feel difference, I am guessing).

• My local fencing chapter is going to try to get some more serious cutting, mats, maybe some meat, etc in the fall yet; most of my cutting has been informal; Cardboard tube, bottles, etc. It behaved well. I have heard second hand that the factory edge needs a little work to be on par with Albion's (but that is not really a big deal) and I have a feeling that it will be a better cutter than other similar swords that are hollow ground.

• My understanding is that it is fit together similar to Albion's construction; however, it is not hot peened, it has a nut. I prefer this since it makes it easy to fix when they get loose (they all will at some point with use). However, A&A will hot peen at request.

I was also naughty and got my hilt furniture blackened Big Grin

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use an Albion Earl. I've handled a variety of other swords, but that is my favorite for longsword. Though I suppose a Dane would also qualify, and I am going to be ordering one of those sometime next year.
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would go with the Fiore. Actually I did.
I like those long pointy ones and it is much more nimble than the liechtenauer. The tapered grip is nice to handle,too.
Oh I like those XVa swords. Did I mention that I have one single handed xv too. The A&A Duke of Urbino modified by Tod's stuff. This one does have some really nice handling characteristics too. Those aren't. Awesome cutters. But try as best as you can not to get caught by their vicious points.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well so far on my list is the Fiore, which I do like the look of, and after I saw pictures of it with blackened funiture, that made it look even nicer, but that for now is the extent of the XVa blades I like.
Now the XVIIIb blades I always liked the Earl, and the Munich, and now add the Durer to that list, which in a way being a nut assmebly is a good candidate for conversion, also I like the Sempach with its type XVII blade but feel the XVII may be to early for what I want, as in Liechtenauer, I look at the tradition mainly from the mid 15th C.
Add also the Atrim (tried and true version) XVIa, but still maybe to early and I'd like a longer grip.

Its good to hear what people are using and how they find them as where I am we don't get the chance to check out swords to try before we buy!

Oh yes I look mostly to Blossfechten, so its do I want a good thrusting sword? a good cutting sword? or a good alround I'll hack your arms off and stab you in the throat to stop you from telling me that its just a stratch!....the latter?

cheers.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your Sharp longsword for Liechtenauer/Fiore etc.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic