Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Type X Hand and a Half Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Lance Carter

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Type X Hand and a Half         Reply with quote

Hi, first time poster.
I have recently commissioned arms and armor to build a hand and a half sword with a type X style blade I have always loved the look of the type X blade and wondered why I have never seen it bigger than single hander, just wondering if anyone knows any reason for this, or has any evidence that they are out there. I spoke with Craig at arms and armor and worked out some of the details but the sword won’t go into production until January or February so I’m still looking for suggestions on the specs and design.
Thanks
Lance Carter
P.S. new to the site but it has already been a huge help, I will donate to the cause as soon as possible.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to myArmoury. Happy

Check out this thread for early great swords. Some of these may be closer to XIIs and XIIIs than Xs you'll see very early examples of hand and a half (or longer) swords.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Thu 29 Nov, 2012 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the sword was larger than a single-hander, it wouldn't fit into the Oakeshott Type X category. Happy

As Chad mentions, there are swords that are early "great swords" that have some characteristics of Type X swords of the same era/region, but they would not fit into the typology then. They would be of an "unclassified" form.

Early Great Sword Topic

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lance Carter

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"If the sword was larger than a single-hander, it wouldn't fit into the Oakeshott Type X category."

I am aware that the excess will negate it being a true type X but you all know what im getting at, that style of blade only larger and on a hand and a half hilt.
Thanks
Lance Carter
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Carter wrote:
"If the sword was larger than a single-hander, it wouldn't fit into the Oakeshott Type X category."

I am aware that the excess will negate it being a true type X but you all know what im getting at, that style of blade only larger and on a hand and a half hilt.
Thanks
Lance Carter

Lance-

Take a look at this article:
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html

It's a great summary of Oakeshott's typology. You might find what type of sword you are looking for there! The XIII, XIIIa, and X types often share many of the same features such as; very little profile taper, wide fullers, and spatulate points. It sounds to me like a long fullered XIII or XIIIa would be what you want. As others have pointed out there are some really good threads on early great swords here if you look for them.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance, you're in good company liking the larger early swords.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool project, Id love to have something like that made someday. What kinds of designs do you currently have in mind? what sort of inspirations do you already have?
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Jack Savante

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds great! No reason why a Type X with a very long handle might have existed somewhere. There is an unfinished Blade in Oakeshott's 'Records of the Medieval Sword" which clearly shows that swords blades were often shipped with VERY long tangs the cut to suit the tastes of the area they were shipped to by the local cutler.
I say yes to experimental history by reconstruction!
Make sure you post pictures!!!
Lance Carter

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Pictures         Reply with quote

Here are a few quick photos of the finished piece that I received last July. Sorry for the late reply, things have been a little hectic here. I will upload more, as well as specs and a quick review in the next few days.

Attachment: 201.25 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 168.22 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 138.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 161.17 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 171.62 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 231.24 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 154.73 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 126.32 KB
[ Download ]
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like that sword very much. Thank you for having it made. Big Grin
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like that. I have always liked the near parallel edges and long fuller of the type X. Looks really cool with the hand and half grip. congrats on your piece.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool sword. I have a couple custom 2-handers with the long fuller, wide blade and spatula tip.
Non Timebo Mala
Max L

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I like the looks of that, too.

Do you have any stats on it? I'd be interested to see how much a long fuller on such a big blade affects the POB for example.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting design, I like it very much. I also want to use this opportunity to praise the guys at A&A. Their standard sword models maybe are limited, some maybe could use some improvement, but their custom work is awesome. Copies of originals, more speculative pieces like this one, all awesome...
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on the new piece lance, very nice.
Éirinn go Brách
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On a purely historical note:

As noted above there are some early long-handled warswords with longer fullers, some quite narrow like an XI sometimes dated to 12th century and some 'in transition between Xa and XIII', in particular those from Central/Eastern Europe with late variant Brazil nut pommels dated to 13th century.

I don't recall seeing an original with a fuller this wide. I imagine its because the wide fuller is designed to lighten the blade for a quick slashing sword against lightly armoured or unarmoured opponents whereas warswords were designed to pack a big punch against somewhat better armoured opponents, so these components would be a bit at odds with each other from a functional standpoint in that historical context.

Of course, we are not in that historical context today so it doesn't matter if it makes you happy.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:

Of course, we are not in that historical context today so it doesn't matter if it makes you happy.

If we want to nitpick, (sorry if this seems inflammatory; I was trying to find another way to put it), the scabbard is strongly 15th century in style, especially with the by-knife.

But, for what it is, I quite like this sword. It's a lot better and more interesting than most "fantasy" swords, and it has an elegance to it.
Lance Carter

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the praise and comments about the sword, I really love it. I must say that I left a lot of the dimensions and fine details up to Craig @ A+A because I trusted his judgment over mine, and am very pleased with the decisions he has made with this piece. I did comment on roughly how long it wanted it, and how far to extend the fuller, also that I wanted a very acute looking tip, but he deserves most of the praise. I will do my best tonight to answer any questions you might have about the Sword as well as stats for it, so if you have any questions about it, anything at all feel free to ask and i will do my best to answer. I am at work right now, and unfortunately have been told I am not allowed to wear it over my government uniform, Sad so I cannot post anything about it at the moment. I will say though if there is one word to describe it, it would have to be FAST, i have not handled that many swords of this size but when you close your eyes and hold it, it feels like a single hander to me.

Although it has some realistic elements I would have to say it’s purely a fantasy sword, ever since I was a little maniac (7) running through the woods with a blunted cutlass my uncle bought me, swinging it at trees and alders, I have had an image in my mind’s eye of what I thought a sword should look like, and I knew the one he had given me may have looked the part but was not the real deal. When I closed my eyes and thought of a knight holding his weapon on the field of war, or in a tournament, this is the blade I saw. I explained that to Craig during the process, and needless to say he has made a dream come true for this now adult tree fighting maniac.

But for now i must get back to work.
Thanks
Lance Carter
Mark Lewis

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
First time poster here myself... Coincidentally, I've just come across a recently published example of a (smallish) hand-and-a-halfer with a broad full length fuller. The sword is in a museum in the Czech Republic but is probably Hungarian in origin. It has been published in "Medieval and early modern weaponry from the collection of the Hunting and Forestry Museum in Úsov in Moravia" by Petr Zakovsky, available on academia.edu.

Attachment: 185.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 72.12 KB
[ Download ]
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Lewis wrote:
Hi everyone,
First time poster here myself... Coincidentally, I've just come across a recently published example of a (smallish) hand-and-a-halfer with a broad full length fuller. The sword is in a museum in the Czech Republic but is probably Hungarian in origin. It has been published in "Medieval and early modern weaponry from the collection of the Hunting and Forestry Museum in Úsov in Moravia" by Petr Zakovsky, available on academia.edu.

Interesting find.

It's cool the way swords of Eastern Europe seem to break all the rules that apply to Western European swords. This one seems to fall within a family of swords popular in 15th century Hungary. Some have wide half-length fullers but I haven't seen one like this with such a wide long fuller like a type X. Nevertheless, the smaller dimensions of this sword and likely its time period put it outside of the standard 'greatsword' or 'warsword' category.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Type X Hand and a Half
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: