Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Freelance Academy Press, new book Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Freelance Academy Press, new book         Reply with quote

Just received a news letter e-mail from Freelance Academy Press and just ordered the book: I wonder if I'm the first to buy the book after receiving the news letter. Big Grin Laughing Out Loud

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/MAA1_MedievalDagger.aspx

Quote:
In Mastering the Art of Arms, Volume One: The Medieval Dagger, Guy Windsor presents a complete guide to the principles and practice of Italian dagger combat, as set down in Il Fior di Battaglia a manuscript written in 1410. Readers are guided step-by-step through the process of mastering this six hundred year old art, from choosing a dagger to striking with it; from guard positions to steps and turns; from disarms to locks and takedowns; from safe falling practice to formal drills, and finally pressure testing their skills with sparring.

Anyway, I'm sure they will be posting more details about this new book themselves in the " Makers and Manufacturers " Forum soon, but I sort of beat them to it. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Always a pleasure dealing with them with fast turn around times from order to receiving the package at my front door and always glad to support a publisher of these very specialized books since they are such a valuable resource, that are also friends and scholars in our little community.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Note that I put in my order yesterday late in the evening and I received today an e-mail at 10:06 a.m. confirming that it has already been shipped. Big Grin Cool

Looking forward to reading this book and it should be very helpful refreshing my memory of the techniques I learned during a 3 month one on one period of private classes on dagger and wrestling a couple of years back..

A lot of these techniques have to be practiced in slow motion and the action stopped short of the final application of many techniques that if done completely would include serious dislocation of joints or broken bones.

One can spar but it's very important to be very controlled to be able to stop any action when one's training partner " Tap out " before being injured.

Also a lot of the techniques can have modern self-defense applications against knives or even in unarmed hand to hand fighting: One can usually stop short of doing injury with some techniques and stop at control or submission holds.

A lot of the dagger against dagger work can be very subtle and works best with long daggers on the rondel type with no sharp edges or only moderately sharp edges. Still possible to do with very sharp edges but one must then be very careful to not let a sharp edge make a draw cut and this from either the opponent's blade of even one's own blade when using one hand on the handle and one hand on the blade.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Freelance Academy Press, new book
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic