Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new sword project, looking for some spesifics Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard B. Price

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: new sword project, looking for some spesifics         Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm working on an Albion type XVI bare blade, I recently purchased. This is my second medieval blade project (I've mostly done Japanese style swords up until now.) I don't have so much experience with this variety of sword, so I need some help when it comes to making my own furniture. I'm going to be using the lost wax process to have these pieces cast in either brass or bronze, from a local caster. Let me also say I'm not looking to do anything completely historically accurate, but I do want a proper balance and that lively feel.

So here's what I'm looking for.

Appropriate cross guard length and width (thickness)
Appropriate pommel dimension and weights
Also, what kinds of fitting were common on this particular kind of blade historically?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Photos to come eventually.

"We shall never know lasting peace until the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard,

I cannot answer, exactly, what approximate guard length and width, nor the approximate pommel dimensions and weights. Rather that trying to guess, why not take a look at many of the photos of Albion's weapons, and use your own judgment based upon them? The thing is, while medieval swordmakers undoubtedly understood balance and proportions, I do not think they were anywhere as obsessed with precise ruler measurements and weights the way we are, so there's no need to try to get everything precisely right. Looking at Albion's Prince and Albion's Squire, the center of gravity is 12 cm on both of them. All you need are hilt components that can ensure your sword has a similar CoG.

As for originals, see this topic here: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spotxvi.html

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new sword project, looking for some spesifics
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic