Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First Sword and Scabbard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael U.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: First Sword and Scabbard         Reply with quote

I recently had a sword and scabbard set made, both as part of a family history project and because, I mean c'mon- Who doesn't want a beautiful medieval sword and scabbard set?

The sword I chose was an Albion Next Gen Squire, which I had them etch with a personal crest. It came out fairly nice. After that, I sat in the queue for none other than Brian from DBK Custom Swords for close to a year- BOY was it worth the wait. I took several of his designs, and did a little photoshoppery to come up with a basic design. I gave Brian the caveat that he should trust his gut instincts when it comes to embellishing my original idea. I think he took the quick design I had and turned it into a complete work of art. He was also fantastic to work with, a true professional. Anyway, without further ado-

If you are thinking of having a scabbard made for your sword, I'd look no further. Certainly made my week, and I can't wait to finish the project later this year (when I'll be making a custom heater style shield based off of the Livorno Coat of Arms).
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice! Brian does have a way with scabbards...I love the colors of the leather. I didn't realize Albion will etch their swords for you! Congratulations.
Jeremy A. Hart

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Very nice! Brian does have a way with scabbards...I love the colors of the leather. I didn't realize Albion will etch their swords for you! Congratulations.

Nor did I... I would love to hear more about that... I'd not mind a gallowglass from them someday for a similar purpose as the OP but I'd want the family crest/motto on it, and that's always been a hang up- buy it and etch myself and ruin the blade, or send it to be etched then off again for a scabbard.

Very excellently done project! You certainly jumped right in both feet to the deep end.

‎"Eyes that fire and sword have seen / And horror in the walls of stone / Look at last on meadows green / And trees and hills they have long known."
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They've been etching for years. Their makers' marks are etched. The contest prize they donated 9 years ago had custom etching on the blade. Their etching has gotten cleaner and better over the years in my opinion. I suspect they don't advertise it because they don't want to get into a ton of custom work.

This package looks great, even though the etching isn't quite period correct for the era of this sword.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael U.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the etching front- Technically, they sent it out of house to have the etching template made and executed. They thought they could do it themselves, and it would have been 1/3 of the price of sending it out, but they wouldn't guarantee that it would be perfect. I figured if I was going to drop the money to get this thing started, it had better be perfect Happy

As for the period (in)correctness. Yeah, it's not. But that wasn't what I was going after- I wanted something more representational and that spoke of the generations of my family. A little compromise, but overall I could not be happier.

I may be one and done (although the idea of adding a 2-hander and a dagger to the set is rather tempting)... Time will tell. Either way, I know who I'll be contacting for the work!
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like it!

This notion of a sword/scabbard to celebrate the family is a cool idea.

If I could ever bring myself to depart from my slavish emphasis on historical accuracy I may do the same for one sword of my collection.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the waved shield etched on both sides of the blade?
Michael U.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nope. The other side is Albion's mark. They seemed pretty flexible and I wanted both on there. Happy
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael was a pleasure to work with, and I really enjoyed putting this scabbard together for him. I get such enjoyment from being able to come up with creative ideas and implementing them.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First Sword and Scabbard
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic