Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Sabre? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Darren Raleigh

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Which Sabre?         Reply with quote

Which historical sabre handles most closely to a dueling sabre? It is true that there are many fine sabres out there, and quite a few of the not-so-fine. What is on the other end of the spectrum from, say, a dragoon wristbreaker? Which one is best for sheer ease of handling?
Use more honey! Find out what she knows!
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Sabre?         Reply with quote

Darren Raleigh wrote:
Which historical sabre handles most closely to a dueling sabre? It is true that there are many fine sabres out there, and quite a few of the not-so-fine. What is on the other end of the spectrum from, say, a dragoon wristbreaker? Which one is best for sheer ease of handling?

Honestly, the only thing that handles like a dueling sabre, is a dueling sabre. Give it some time, and there will be Radaelli and Pecoraro sabres, blunts and sharps, from Albion. They're going to be based on a blade in my collection from the 1870's. It weighs perhaps 1lb 5 or 6 oz., and is very quick..

Dueling sabres and military sabres really have little in common in respect to handling, though perhaps some of the lightest of karabelas, and also some of the late era officers sabres, such as US M1902 models, handle a bit like dueling sabres. however, the blade length is often less than a duelling sabre by several inches.

On the other end of the spectrum, French M1803 Cheval d' Chasseur sabre, or German Blucher, or Brit P1796 are wholly different beasts.

The French M1822/US M1840/M1860 design, really is a middle ground between the two. good enough for military work, but still light enough that you can 'fence' with it comfortably on foot, but not as light as a dueling sabre.

As far as what is best from the standpoint of ease of handling, it depends on the use intended. If I'm fencing competitive sabre, and sport sabre is best - if I'm fencing classical dueling sabre, then I need a dueling sabre. Hungarian military sabre needs a proper sabre for that, and in its system, is every bit as easy to handle. The form of the blade works with, and provides guidance to, its function. If I try to use an M1803 as a 'fencing' sabre, its going to be very awkward - but if I use it in confines of a hungarian military system, or something similar, it'll be pretty handy.

I have a 'shashqa' that I built from a salvaged M1860 blade, which balances at the same point as a M1860 should, and weighs about 1lb 12oz. its *very* fast and controllable, as well as being a great cutter - but still not a dueling sabre.

hope this helps.

if you have any specific questions, please feel free - these general responses like i've just made spit a lot of info out, but really don't say much substantively.

Chris

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Darren Raleigh

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the time you took to write.

Best Regards,
Darren

Use more honey! Find out what she knows!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Sabre?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic