Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My refurbished M1903 Springfield (update and new photos) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
That's beautiful! I've often looked at the Atlanta Cutlery Enfield/Martini-Henry/Etc. wrecks and wanted to adopt one as a project since I'm not into modern cartridge arms. My father-in-law was a dealer, though, so his garand, carbine, Mauser, Enfield, etc. will probably end up with me at some point.

That would be quite a project because most of them are in very poor condition due to the way the were put away and stored. That being said, I would like to get one too. There was a dealer in Hickory, NC many years back who had a large selection of all models and they were dirt cheap. At the time I had no interest in them and am still kicking myself for not buying one.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Added a couple of new photos in the original post.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Added a couple of new photos in the original post.

More eye candy. Big Grin Cool

Always liked the distinctive look of the rear handguard " Hump " just in front of the rear sight: Wonder if aesthetics considerations applied when the stock was originally designed or it was just a functional way to better protect the rear sight in bayonet fighting ?

The forward barrel band ( If I'm using the correct terminology ? ) sort of reminds me a bit of the look of the 18th century French Musket front band and bayonet lug ?

I tend to look at these features on a firearm the way one looks at a sculpture in the same way I look at most things like swords and armour and even tank or early 20th century battleship designs ...... even tiny differences make an object unique to me. Big Grin

A bit off Topic maybe but I find running my eyes over an object the way I would tactilely feel it's shape is part of the pleasures of enjoying the material World.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Always liked the distinctive look of the rear handguard " Hump " just in front of the rear sight: Wonder if aesthetics considerations applied when the stock was originally designed or it was just a functional way to better protect the rear sight in bayonet fighting ?

When the rifle was designed mounted cavalry was still a large component of the US Army. The hump was meant to protect the rear sight while being inserted into a troopers saddle scabbard.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My refurbished M1903 Springfield (update and new photos)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: