Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Old Firearms Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Thanks for those pics Michael. Some of the less well known pistols are really fascinating in their design elements. Thank goodness Hollywood has gotten away from arming everyone with a Colt SAA and a '73 Winchester!

I have to agree with Gordon on the BP cartridge issue. A lot of fun but a real hassle to clean. I still remember the first time I fired a .45 Colt round loaded with 35-40 grains of black powder. Man, that was a show! I've owned a couple of conversions that were really neat. Those kinds of firearms were widely used on the frontier for a long time, it's a shame they've usually been under represented in film and books.

Now that it's the holiday, and I have time to comment, I have to say I have been loving this thread.

This is one of those areas where I like the weapons, but my knowledge is sadly lacking. It's great to "listen" to those more knowledgable and get some info on these babies.

With response to Patrick's comment above, I have always been hooked on those films where Hollywood got away from the arming everybody with the Colt SAA.

For me, I was always loving the various cartridge conversions in "The Oulaw Josey Wales" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". Some thing very fine about the austere looks of jhose early models, unfluted cylinders, plain grips, etc. makes me think of them more as the "real deal".

A question I have is, In "Good, Bad and the Ugly", when Tuco goes into the store at the edge of the desert...

The shopkeeper pulls out a big variety of different maker cartridge/cartridge conversion revolvers, and names them off. How accurate is this scene with respect to the weapons?Are they getting it right, by type, and by time frame?
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:

A question I have is, In "Good, Bad and the Ugly", when Tuco goes into the store at the edge of the desert...

The shopkeeper pulls out a big variety of different maker cartridge/cartridge conversion revolvers, and names them off. How accurate is this scene with respect to the weapons?Are they getting it right, by type, and by time frame?

It's not real accurate. First, metallic-cartridge conversions for Remington and Colt revolvers weren't available until after the Civil War. S&W did make metallic-cartridge revolvers at the time, but they were .22 and .32 caliber rimfires on small frames (S&W's large caliber revolvers were also not available until after the ACW). The Root is mentioned, it's an interesting revolver with an exposed hammer (like on a musket). But all the revolvers in that scene looked either like Remingtons or Colt Navys, IIRC.
And those oddball revolvers which Eli Wallach dismissed summarily ("Ehhh! Revolvers!") before casting them to the shop floor all looked to be various European makes, mostly later than the ACW.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:

...For me, I was always loving the various cartridge conversions in "The Oulaw Josey Wales"...

Oh Yeah.... After watching "The Outlaw Josey Wales" I went out and bought me a replica of one those Colt Walker horse pistols... It weighed nine pounds! And each cylinder held about 60 grains of black powder... Now that was a flame thrower! Eek! Eek! Eek! Couldn't hit the side of a barn (at close range) but it was fun to shoot. Just make sure there was no dry brush around. And be sure and use bear grease over the end of the cylinder to keep away from flash fires... you don't want more than one cylinder igniting at a time.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now we're getting into it! Dissin' my favorite Colt, the Walker! I have (well, until the other day, I had) a pair of them, the Colt reissues from the 1980's, and they really do pack a punch. And come on, they're ONLY 4 pounds 9 ounces! Not nearly 9 pounds... though that's sufficient to give your wrist a serious workout just holding it at arms length! ;o) But oddly enough for it's weight, it (to me at least) handles quite well. A tad muzzle heavy, but still it comes up nicely and points naturally, and they are VERY accurate. Old Sam (both Colt and Walker) had a good idea of what was needed, and although they kind of over shot the mark a bit with this one, still, it's a very serviceable piece and well worth the weight on your belt (better yet on the horse...) But you can really see why Colt dropped down to the Dragoons pretty quickly... the Walker is a real handful! But Lord does it pack a punch!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Gordon...

Thanks for the correction... now that you mention it 9lbs is a little heavy... Thats the weight of my Kentucky. And the "side of the barn" comment was definitely and exaggeration. But I was never a good shot with a handgun (or a rifle either for that matter). I don't remember the recoil being that bad, just the fire and smoke.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
But oddly enough for it's weight, it (to me at least) handles quite well. A tad muzzle heavy, but still it comes up nicely and points naturally, and they are VERY accurate. Old Sam (both Colt and Walker) had a good idea of what was needed, and although they kind of over shot the mark a bit with this one, still, it's a very serviceable piece and well worth the weight on your belt (better yet on the horse...) But you can really see why Colt dropped down to the Dragoons pretty quickly... the Walker is a real handful! But Lord does it pack a punch!

Gordon

Hi Gordon and Kirk,

The Walker is one of my favorites, too, though I never owned one, just handled them. I had a neat article about 7-8 years back in "Guns" magazine that did a sort of side by side comparison of the Walker with historical level loads and compared the ballistics with modern handguns. Also they did some testing with ballistic gelatin.

AS I recall, the Walker came out pretty impressive, not looking too shabby at all.

I don't suppose Kirk, who is so handy with the scanner Razz would know the article or one similar?

At any rate, the Walker is one helluva gun, even if it takes a little more "iron" in the arm to "haul iron" with it.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

I actually have that article around somewhere, it's from Guns and Ammo, and old Phil Spangenberger did a head-to-head test of the Walker against a .44 Mag. While the Magnum did a lot better on expansion and all that (as would be expected with hollow points!) the Walker REALLY blew the Magnum out of the water on Penetration. I mean SERIOUSLY out did it. But when you consider that the Walker was designed to punch through a Comanche War Shield made of extremely thick bull buffalo hide, it only stands to reason. And for a weapon designed for Mounted Combat there are other factors to consider as well. The Walker wasn't just a Man Killer, it was also a big-time Horse Killer too! "Muerte el Caballo, Perdido el Hombre".

Per accuracy, when Walker received his personal pair from Sam Colt, he immediately tested them and reported that they would "outshoot a rifle at 200 yards" (if I recall that quote correctly). Not bad shooting for a pistol!

And as far as the weight goes, again, a weapon for a mounted warrior. I packed a pair of them for a couple of months straight, six days a week, with no problems or discomfort. But then, I also was riding a horse 90% of the time, so HE had to pack the weight, not me! On foot, give me a pair of Navy's, PLEASE! Wink

I think this is why I really love this forum... great discussions on Armour, Swords AND guns!

Gordon

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I prefer the Dragoon I've always had a love for the big Walker. I think I've worn out a couple of them over the years, as well as '60 Army's, '51 Navy's, and etc. Big Grin

Phil was right on the money in that article. The Walker compares quite favorably with the .44 mag in the power department. Of course Model 29's don't chain fire or blow up as often but hey, that's part of the fun!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nate...

Sounds like a good article, but my Colt Walker days were about 20 years ago. I traded it for a Colt Single Action Army in 45 long colt, which I traded for a Sharpes Buffalo Rifle, which I traded for a PreRevolutionary Kentucky Rifle which I still have over my fireplace.

Here is a picture and little info on the Walker if anyone is interested:

http://www.hackman-adams.com/guns/44walker.htm

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
...Wonderful old guns, and a real challenge to feed (at least they sure were 25 years ago when I was really into that stuff... amazing what you can convert .44 Special into! And yes, bring a hammer, LOL!) Of course I love the cap-and-ball stuff too, though cartridges are soooo much easier on the range. But later on, all you have to do is clean the gun, no nasty brass to clean up! I have to admit I've gotten tired of cleaning blackpowder-scooged brass... I finally have sold off most of my big single-shot rifles for that reason and gone back to my paper-cartridge Sharps. Same amount of work getting to the range, but a LOT less afterwards!

'Spoken like a cat who's been there! Yeah, I still use a method I first read in Stephen Frye's book to load an unconverted 1873 French Ordnance Revolver using fire-formed, rim-trimmed .44 Special cases (though the dies, heeled moulds, and even actual 11 mm. cases are available these days) and breech seating of a simple .451 round ball, for just one example. The Chamelot-Delvigne design (1873 French, 1874 Italian, etc) is, to my mind, the best design of this era. The only drawback--if a somewhat obvious one--being the relatively anemic rounds that were originally chambered . Wink

When it comes to loading some of these archaic rounds, things have improved by leaps and bounds in just the last ten years or so. It's incredible.

Fantastic pic, Gordon. I Absolutely love it! It also explains your penchant for the Walker...horse pistol, indeed!

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
It's not real accurate. First, metallic-cartridge conversions for Remington and Colt revolvers weren't available until after the Civil War. S&W did make metallic-cartridge revolvers at the time, but they were .22 and .32 caliber rimfires on small frames (S&W's large caliber revolvers were also not available until after the ACW). The Root is mentioned, it's an interesting revolver with an exposed hammer (like on a musket). But all the revolvers in that scene looked either like Remingtons or Colt Navys, IIRC.
And those oddball revolvers which Eli Wallach dismissed summarily ("Ehhh! Revolvers!") before casting them to the shop floor all looked to be various European makes, mostly later than the ACW.

David Wilson,

I'm sure glad you stepped up to the plate on this one. I'm almost ashamed to say I don't recall what the Tuco character picked up! I seem to recall "Tuco" manipulating a Galand or something, but that may be a scene from something else (?). One thing that always made me chuckle was this scene's over-emphasis on Colt parts "interchangeability".

Now, of course, if John Wayne tells me that he and Stuart Whitman were regularly using Colt SAA's to fight Comancheros while Texas was still a republic...then Colt SAA's WERE available, en masse, pre 1850. Wink

Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, put me in the club who recalls the Phil S. article. There have been a few others in this vain, and also a few by Gary James. Well, I seem to be recalling the article a little differently. I'm willing to be set straight on this, though, since it's more than likely that I'm letting a veritable ton of other factors cloud my memory.

In a discussion of the Walker Colt (Whitneyville, etc) and modern loads, the .357 with plain old factory loads seems a more likely comparison. In fact, the middle step along the road to .357 Mag development--the smokeless .38/44--is even closer, ballistically, to the blackpowder 141-148gr Walker round ball loads at 1050-1150ps or so. Modern FFFg would put you around 1300 fps and land more solidly in .357 territory, battered wedges and all. Modern, heavier conicals (200gr-250gr?) out of the Walker would boost the foot-lbs factor, I guess, and that might be what you guys are refering to here. One of the problems here, I suppose, is that the question of FFg or FFFg--and even which powder you're using--offer variables. Still, comparing even a 250 gr modern conical out of the stuffed Walker at 900-1000 fps (the 140-141 gr bullet with 55-60 gr of blackpowder in the original Walker loading is a non-starter, even at 1200 fps, in every respect compared to the .44 Magnum, though WILDLY SUCCESSFUL and groundbreaking in context) to even a moderatly stout .44 Magnum with a 240 gr bullet exceeding 1400 fps pretty much says it all.

My Uberti replica rarely saw more than 44 gr of FFg with a lubed wad or cream of wheat filler. Granted, I've never been overly fond of the Walker beyond its historical importance, so that might be coloring my overall comments. I think the very most I ever went before trading the Walker was 55 grains of FFg and a really stout load of 30 gr or so FFFg with filler (just once). But then, I've even been guilty of using Cleanshot, now and again. And, yes, I like the ruffles on my underwear just fine! Wink

I've never been the biggest fan of the .44 Mag either (don't shoot silhouette, etc), but I do reload for one and, again, in even factory loadings it would seem to outright defy comparison. With the .357 comparison, well, you get a little closer. Still, the Walker Colt offered a helluva stout, powerful load for the times and was definitely the king of the hill until the advent of the .357 Magnum. If I recall, and either Gordon or Patrick Kelly or Kirk Spencer or someone will correct me, the original 55-60gr charge of the Walker was akin to .58 caliber musket loads? That's mucho impressive, taken alone, from where I'm sitting.

FWIW, one of the reasons I may be nit-picking this is due to an episode of Modern Marvels ("the Magnum") I saw a few months back on the History Channel. There were all sorts of misleading bits offered on this program...guys flatly stating that Walker's fired a .44 caliber ball, the old bit about the .38 Special and Moros, etc.

BTW, Mike Venturino has an article coming out in next month's American Handgunner entitled "Old West Pistol Power". 'Should be worth a look.

Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great post Michael...

Thanks for the info Happy

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhhh! Cap and Ball revolvers! I used to have a sweet little Lyman made 36 cal. 1851 Colt Navy model with the square back trigger guard. Lovely little shooter. Always threw a ball 3 inchs high and 2 inchs to the left. I got pretty good with it after a while. Nicely balanced as well, but 36 cal is a bit puny so I traded for a Remington cap and ball, 44 cal and a whole lot more accurate. This is making me want another smoke thrower Dang it! Big Grin

Attachment: 3.2 KB
1851navy.jpg

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This has turned into a very enlightening thread ..... thank you all, gentlemen !

Some more fun reading, about the guns Clint Eastwood used in his films, at these links:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php...readid=864

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?action=search2

Josey Wales: "Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

Attachment: 28.67 KB
Josey Wales.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt 1860 Army

*www.coltparts.com

Attachment: 49.65 KB
colt 1860.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of guns .....

The McDonald boys annual Thanksgiving Day morning hunt -- Wilkins Field,Groton, Massachusetts, 2004 .
Only Bobby (the redhead) managed to bag himself a pheasant (the rest of us ate crow ;-)

* L to R: brothers Bobby, James, Dad (Walter), and yours truely ! ( brothers Butch & Keith chose to sleep in :-)

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sun 28 Nov, 2004 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Great post Michael...

Thanks for the info Happy

My genuine thanks, Kirk. As is usual with me--on topics which touch my own personal hobbies and interests--that post wanders dangerously close to long-winded and redundant. There is nothing in it that someone like Gordon Frye isn't completely aware of, for instance. I should have edited the post to a simple, "I think the comparison is more apt with regard to the .357" or some such. The problem is that we so often encounter instances like Kim Darby's scene in "True Grit" (she touches of the Walker) which are misinterpreted and work their way into the public consciousness, that I seem to have developed a deep-seated need to state the obvious or belabour a certain point. Anyway, if you got anything useful out of the further--albeit sketchy--comparison, it might go aways towards repaying the information and pics (particularly the River Scheldt, interested to see the horn redo on the replica!) I've cribbed from your own posts on viking swords.

Like you, I seem to be slowly working my way back in firearms history (though I've stalled at the edge of the fur trade, and can't seem to shake an interest in British campaigns in places like the Sudan and Northwest Frontier). After reading some of Gordon Frye's posts at MilitaryHorse.org, I'm contemplating plans to cunningly trick him into a dissertation length piece on the mysteries of the wheellock, doglock, etc here in a thread on Nathan's myArmoury. Any aid towards this devious goal would be much appreciated. Wink

Here's a link to a particularly informative thread regarding Renaissance cavalry over at MilitaryHorse.org:

http://militaryhorse.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3287

Mike

Last edited by Michael G. Myers on Sun 28 Nov, 2004 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Carr wrote:
Ahhhh! Cap and Ball revolvers! I used to have a sweet little Lyman made 36 cal. 1851 Colt Navy model with the square back trigger guard. Lovely little shooter...

When I was fourteen--with my grandmother by my side and with my second, part-time paycheck from Dairy Queen freshly cashed--I became the proud owner of a used, steel-frame Pietta '51! I know, I got far more from having the gun store owner take me under his wing and out to the range than I ever did that rattling '51, but I loved shooting it something fierce.

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Speaking of guns .....

The McDonald boys annual Thanksgiving Day morning hunt -- Wilkins Field, Groton, Massachusetts, 2004 .
Only Bobby (the redhead) managed to bag himself a pheasant (the rest of us ate crow ;-)

Speaking of guns...and quite the formidable starting, defensive line! This is what it's all about.

Mike

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike, your letting out all of my secrets! Ack! Hunted down like a dog, I am... ;o) Thank you for your generous comments on my pontifications, btw. I do appreciate it, but you'll make my hats all too small. (I'm already accused of being all hat and no cattle, what shall I ever do without a decent fitting hat now?)

I was off today shooting Matchlocks and Wheellocks with my Daughter, her Fiance' and some friends (she has her own matchlock that I had made for her, and one for her sister one Christmas: she can buy her own wheellock. Fiance came complete with his own matchlock, how cool is that?). I am always impressed with how efficient both systems are when you finally figure them out. Hot burning match is the key to matchlock reliability, and having sawn crystalized pyrites is one of the keys for a reliable wheellock. Good dry powder helps too! At any rate it's always fun to show off to the guys with flintlocks that they aren't the most antique or arcane folks at the range! Wearing a sword keeps the heckling down, too. ;o)

Oh, Lord, I remember loading for the French 1873 Ordnance Revolver! Yup, .44 Special was the key. Strange that I never did OWN a .44 Special, too pedestrian for me, I guess. I don't think I've ever owned a .357 either, for that matter, LOL! But hordes of weird "load your own" stuff, in fact my compadres and I even evented a few rounds, one being the ".50" Blanchard/Worthington Weird, Long". Don't ask, it was for a couple of Spencers that had needed work.

I do have to say though that one of the best loads I ever came up with was the 20 grain FFFG charge in a .45ACP case with a round ball on it. That one shot quite well under water (I was young and pretty dumb) out of one of those bizarre .455 Spanish S&W copies sold to Britain in WWI, and cut down to .45ACP and sold here in the 1950's. Better yet was the packed load of 25 grains of FFFG with a 230 grain bullet in the .45ACP case, that works just fine out of an M1911, and even better out of a Thompson SMG! Of course after a 20-round stick of that you can't see a DAMN thing around you...

Ah, those were the days. And I actually lived through them. Somehow. Maybe that's why I stick with muzzle loaders and stuff that shoots store-bought ammo these days.

Cheers!

Gordon

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Old Firearms
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: