Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing Evolution Arms Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marc Ridgeway

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Introducing Evolution Arms         Reply with quote

Hey Folks...

Marc Ridgeway here... some of you know me , some may not. I've been into sword for years... these days I'm really just a casual cutter and collector.
A while back , I was approached by Gus Trim , who asked if I would help him retail some higher-end swords... a kind of work-in-progress to bring a better level of finish to the legendary Atrim performance.

Enter Evolution Arms.

I originally introduced Evolution Arms on another site... and all the swords sold out before I got a chance to post here.

Here is that original post

Quote:

Torion Sword and myself are proud to announce the beginning of a new venture in partnership with a guy we consider one of the Godfathers of modern swordmaking, Angus "Gus" Trim.

Now Gus really needs no introduction, and most of you know who I am , but we need to introduce the newbie, Evolution Arms.

What is Evolution Arms?

Evolution Arms is the logical evolution of Atrims. Evolution Arms will be Gus as we've not seen Gus before... This means better polish, milling marks removed from fittings, better wraps , and grip shape, and in general just a better overall aesthetic while keeping that legendary Atrim performance. Evolution Arms is going to eventually mean swords with an upgraded grip , wrapped hopefully by someone you all know, and hot peend. This is coming soon, once models get nailed down.

But what does this mean about Tried & True?

Nothing... they are still there , and still going to be Gus's primary retailer. Their swords are fantastic, and getting better all the time... and in fact I am in their queue myself. I hope that we will be partnering closely with the T&T crew in the development of Evolution Arms.

Where does this stock come from... I'm waiting for an Atrim now?

Me too, friend , me too... and we'll get em. Nothing is taking precedent over anything else. The nature of the process is that when Gus is running the machine on certain patterns, effiency dictates he must run duplicates , or similar patterns he may not have orders for. The process calls for running batches , and heat treat is paid for in batches.
So , often there will be swords made that become available, and the vast majority of these will end up on the shelf at Tried & True. The occasional one will be given the Evolution treatment , and will end up in my hands.

Can I order a sword from Evolution Arms?

Not unless it is on the shelf ... at least not yet, and maybe never. Evolution Arms is a going to be an in-stock only business , especially for quite a while, as the refinements we are making are a work in progress If you want to order a particular sword, do what I did , order it from the great guys at Tried & True.

So to kick off Evolution Arms , Gus sent me three awesome swords. I fell instantly in love with all three. Wish I could keep them.

I can't .

I won't even be selling all three.

All three are awesome swords... all three show marked improvements in overal finish... but only one is going to qualify to be Evolution Arms number 1 . The other two are part of the learning curve... they are terrific, don't get me wrong, but not evolved enough for Evolution Wink

Bastard Falchion

This outstanding sword is one beefy monster . With a thick , 33 in. long blade, it has a 7.5 in red leather grip. The fittings have been heat blued . The grip , both in shaping and wrap is better than previous efforts from Gus, and the fittings flow better with the grip.Fittings have been heat-blued. Permanently assembled with a mechanical peen. This has Gus's new edge geometry, and cuts well , and handles like a dream. Eurotana anyone? But no... not really at all. Thats what is so awesome about this one, it is so unique . Unfortunately, Gus says this may be a one-off... wish I could afford to keep it.

On this one , the polish has a bright foundation , but under the right light, some light suface scratches pop out... this and some still visible milling marks in the pommel are the reason this isn't Evolution material. Still an awesome sword, but not at the standard Gus and myself are setting for the new line.

Weight : 3 lbs 11oz
POB : 5.5 in
COP : 21.5 in.

Falchion

This clip-point falchion is very much like the Thorpe Falcion , but with a 28 inch blade. Another exquisite sword, this one has very complex geometry. Much like the bastard falchion , this one sports several improvements in fittings, and flow and finish, as well as edge geometry. Also the same cosmetic nitpicks from the bastard falchion doom this one as well.

I REALLY like this one. The lines are clean and wicked looking, the blade is stout , and rings like a bell . The handle is wrapped in brown and the fittings heat blued. The whole thing is permanently assembled via mechanical peen.

Handling is smooth and this thing hits... HARD.

Blade Length:
Handle Length:
POB :
COP :
Weight:

Stats to be announced

Evolution Arms #1 Classic XVIII

In Gus's words... "this is the kool one". I have to agree . A solid, ten year old design, this Classic XVIII has also been known as the 1557. In all the years and all the Atrims I've handled and had, this is the first time I've handled one. I have seen Seans old on I think... but paid little attention. This thing is magic.

Light, fast and nimble this little sword is a trick cutter's dream. This is without a shadow of doubt, the best handling single-hand sword I've ever been in the vicinity of.

And this one is special... The polish is likely Gus's best to date. Polished to a high, bright sheen, the smooth mirrorlike blade does show some swirls.. but not from polish, from tempering. That's right, this little baby is differentially tempered.

The point is 54rc , the spine , shoulders and tang are 48rc , and the edge is 60rc. And you can tell it. This is the sharpest Atrim I've ever seen... in fact it is probably the sharpest Euro I've ever seen, or tied for it. This sword easily cuts paper under its own weight, no slicing motion.

The fittings have been worked over so that I can detect no trace of milling , and are heat blued. The handle is wrapped in red leather and over-all fit and finish is awesome. The whole thing is mechanically peened .

After a thorough inspection I am comfortable saying that the new Evolution Arms line begins here and goes from there... and i can't wait to see where it takes us.

This one is for sale (or will be shortly) at torionsword.com
Asking $700

stats TBA

Thanks to Paul for allowing me to promote here, I have always refrained from doing so at SBG , but I feel, and Paul agrees that guys like Gus Trim get an all access pass! Thanks Paul!

Marc Kaden Ridgeway

Last edited by Marc Ridgeway on Sun 01 Jul, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Evolution Arms has three new models in stock , and ready to ship. Two of these are completely new models... and one some of you may recognize.

Introducing "Cutter Grade"

Cutter grade is a way for us to prototype and test new models , without the time consuming Evolution finish. Cutter grade swords will still be as well made, peened and wrapped as Evolution grade swords , but the polish will be... well cutter grade.

Two-handed Saber - Cutter Grade

This is a brand new model.. a prototype as it were. Two-handed saber with little curve, most toward the tip. The intent here was to build a blade that would be a good match for a Swiss saber platform. 37 inch blade with an 8 inch grip wrapped by Tom Kinder. Tom also hot-peened this sword .
Folks this is a wicked sword... fast, responsive, sharp. I made a short cutting video , but my camera crapped out, so I'm going to have to owe you another. Just a very fun, cool sword.

This sword is availiable at Torion Sword $650

Evolution Arms Saber

At first i wasn't sure what to think about this unique sword , but it has won me over. This single hander has a pronounced curve and a prominent yelman. The polish is a bright mirror and boy does it shine. The blade is differentially tempered ... being 60-HRC on the edge , and selectively drawn back to around 48 HRC on the spine. Tom Kinder wrapped the grip , as well as hot peening the sword. Fittings are heat-darkened.
This saber is super-sharp... though no test cutting with this one, the polish is too fine.

This sword is availiable at Torion Sword $850

Evolution Arms Type XVIII Longsword

Finally a XVIII longsword... I leave the sub-type up for debate. Tom called it an XVIIIA, Gus a b , and I think of it as a c ... so what have you . At any rate it is a magnificent longsword , with a 36 inch blade and 7 inch handle . The blade is 52 HRC and has full Evolution polish. The fittings are bright steel , and the grip was made and wrapped by Tom Kinder. The hot-peen was Tom as well.
This revamp of a legendary model is just an absolutely incredible sword.

This sword may become availiable at Torion Sword $900

Thanks everyone for looking... the swords should be up on torionsword.com later this evening .

Questions and comments invited and welcomed.

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love the look of that two handed saber! Definitely looks like an agile cutter.

Do you think you will be offering any pommel styles other than wheel in the future? I am personally a big fan of scent stoppers.

I'm also a bit curious about the "hourglass" upper grip on the longsword. I've seen plenty of waisted grips, and I'm generally a fan, but I don't think I've seen any with an upper section like that. Are there any historic examples you're aware of?

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Tom Kinder has begun forging some scent-stoppers a while back... so yes... I believe they will be an option for the future.

As to the histrocity of the grip shape... I do not know of a specific example shaped exactly like that ... but I can tell you it is comfortable.

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hanson wrote:
Love the look of that two handed saber! Definitely looks like an agile cutter.

Do you think you will be offering any pommel styles other than wheel in the future? I am personally a big fan of scent stoppers.

I'm also a bit curious about the "hourglass" upper grip on the longsword. I've seen plenty of waisted grips, and I'm generally a fan, but I don't think I've seen any with an upper section like that. Are there any historic examples you're aware of?

while the proportions are different, this sword was my inspiration for this grip.

while I have purposely tweaked the proportions to look nice with this sword and to provide better grip area for both hands since that one didn't have a scent stopper pommel. I also flared out the top of the grip so that it would mesh with the guard better. I could make one exactly like the pictured grip and I have made them before and made ones that are more like some of the others shown in this this thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19720

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing Evolution Arms
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic