Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Free-play videos highlighting techniques from the manuals Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Free-play videos highlighting techniques from the manuals         Reply with quote

Here are some recent videos of my student Chad & myself fencing. I'm not unhappy with how they turned out.

Some edited footage from a couple different freeplay sessions; Includes some ringen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_BYK-vVoQk

Using Albion Meyer vs an Ensifer Heavy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QbP8a7ComE

The first time we fought with the heavier/longer Pavel Moc Feder & Ensifer Long Feder. Chad got the best of me here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWhH-Y2sY0
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impressive technique as we don't often see good play at the sword in free bouting, maybe with paired drills, but in bouting people tend to revert to survival mode intuitive parrying and leave the bind when staying in the bind would be safer and a more direct way to attack.

Due to speed leaving the bind can work better for people not having good fûhlen skills and against people without good fûhlen skill in the bind.

The usual lament is why we don't see many mastercuts used in bouting or good doubling or as much efficient winding as one would like to see ?

Anyway, these clips show a lot of subtle and skilled play, and good idea to show part in slow motion with comments: Often it is very difficult to understand what just happened due to speed and things can look very different depending on the angle of view: Two viewers looking at the same action from different angle might judge the winner of a bout very differently.

Oh, and it's very aesthetically pleasing to see such a good display of skills. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this. Any other videos I have found have been choreographed demonstrations of techniques, so it's great to see them applied when the other person is actually trying to defend themselves.
Additionally, most freestyle videos are either too quick to keep track of or else are more like what Jean mentioned, where the fighters go into survival or adrenaline mode and the techniques aren't so crisp.
The slow motion was very helpful, but even in the full speed ones show a higher degree of control than usual, which is really helpful to study from.
Please continue to share these if you ever come up with any more!

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Steve Shimmer

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love the slow-mo with explanation of the moves, well done.
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! I hope to add videos to my youtube channel periodically.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Free-play videos highlighting techniques from the manuals
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic