Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Museum Line Update -- Svante Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ you're going to L-O-V-E this sword.

I had the opportunity to play with Peter's original last year, and spent some time looking at three of the Albion's last month. As I've said before, if I had to choose only one sword to own it would be this one regardless of period or style.

And yes I'm a wee bit envious as well Wink

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joachim Nilsson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Markus Haider wrote:
Beautiful! I envy the future owners. How does it handle? And when will we see test-cutting with it? Wink

Like a dream, actually... amazingly light for such a heavy sword, and it just screams to cut something...

Best,

howy

Mhm... I know...

Whenever Peter brings his "original " with him, I'm on it like a drunken fly on really sticky fly-paper. "Love" isn't an adequate word when it comes to the Svante. And judging from the pictures the Albion Svante looks amazing.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I had the opportunity to play with Peter's original last year, and spent some time looking at three of the Albion's last month. As I've said before, if I had to choose only one sword to own it would be this one regardless of period or style.

Woo woo, when you AND Nathan are saying stuff like that it really gets my hopes up. It was a bit of a leap I'll have to admit when I looked at that price tag. I basically sold every single non Arms and Armor piece I own (with the exception of that Castlekeep type XII and the new Jacob Powning sword) plus a whole lot of scabbards to pay for it. Seeing the pictures it looks like I made the right call. That particular sword is my single favorite out of all historical examples I've seen so I didn't really have any choice in the matter. I'll bring it to Blade next year... (attempt to get Patrick to come...)

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank god that this one is from 30 years after my period!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Woo woo, when you AND Nathan are saying stuff like that it really gets my hopes up. It was a bit of a leap I'll have to admit when I looked at that price tag. I basically sold every single non Arms and Armor piece I own (with the exception of that Castlekeep type XII and the new Jacob Powning sword) plus a whole lot of scabbards to pay for it. Seeing the pictures it looks like I made the right call. That particular sword is my single favorite out of all historical examples I've seen so I didn't really have any choice in the matter. I'll bring it to Blade next year... (attempt to get Patrick to come...)

I'm already planning on coming to Blade next year. With my daughter and her husband now living in Dalton it's a good excuse for a family vacation.

I say again, I *love* this sword. I would order one myself if it weren't for the financial considerations. I'd have to sell off half of my existing collection to do it. I've developed a definite focus for my collection and unfortunately the Svante doesn't really fill a clear nitch in the line-up. Consequently, butchering my collection to get one would really be going in the opposite direction. It does tempt me though.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

I'm already planning on coming to Blade next year. With my daughter and her husband now living in Dalton it's a good excuse for a family vacation.

I say again, I *love* this sword. I would order one myself if it weren't for the financial considerations. I'd have to sell off half of my existing collection to do it. I've developed a definite focus for my collection and unfortunately the Svante doesn't really fill a clear nitch in the line-up. Consequently, butchering my collection to get one would really be going in the opposite direction. It does tempt me though.

That's great news! If we can get Mac to come again it will be very cool indeed! Yeah it was hard to let some of that stuff go, but I've found that it's true, that your collection eventually evolves towards the more expensive end of the spectrum. Happy

Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled Peter's original on many occasions, and I must say that Albion's version is extremely faithful to it.
My sword site
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the niches,
Could they be anything to do with an emergency monetary source,
gold/silver etc,
just a thought,

Also must add it's a fine looking sword,
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
On the niches,
Could they be anything to do with an emergency monetary source,
gold/silver etc,
just a thought,

Also must add it's a fine looking sword,

Peter and I discussed this last year when I saw his original recreation. Given the morals of the age I strongly suspect that there were some kind of religous icons in the reccesses. Can't say for sure of course but that's where I'd lay my money.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds plausible, there's three of them so there are possibly trinity aspects as well...
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
That's great news! If we can get Mac to come again it will be very cool indeed! Yeah it was hard to let some of that stuff go, but I've found that it's true, that your collection eventually evolves towards the more expensive end of the spectrum.

That's the bad thing about quality, it spoils you and you never want to go back. I think this sword will definetly raise your perception of a production sword. If I still had the haphazard "one of everything" collection that I used to I wouldn't hesitate to cull the herd. Alas, that isn't the case any longer. Anything I get rid of now would need to be replaced later.

I could open the gunsafe once again, but if I keep doing that sooner or later it will only be good for storing swords in Eek!

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you guys think the religous icons would be precious/semi precious material,
A sword of this quality would from the look of it have no expense spared in it's day,

Patrick wrote,

If I still had the haphazard "one of everything" collection that I used to I wouldn't hesitate to cull the herd. Alas, that isn't the case any longer.

Could be an interesting off topic thread,
stuff you've had and moved on for one reason or another and had second thoughts/couldnt post it quick enough,
Eek!
I'l be looking forward to your thorough review on the mentioned sword and that fine JP sword you have Russ,
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe that Peter speculated that if there had been figures in the niches, they were probably made in gilt silver or gold.
My sword site
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
I've handled Peter's original on many occasions, and I must say that Albion's version is extremely faithful to it.

It is quite magnificent, isn't it. A single day doesn't pass without me spending a couple of minutes dreaming about that sword.

Last edited by Joachim Nilsson on Fri 12 Nov, 2004 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bjorn,
I wonder if anyone will follow up on having more detailing added,
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, for our Swedish Correspondents: Is this the same Svante Sture who, with his sons Nils and Erik, were murdered by King Erik XVth in Uppsala Castle in 1567? If so, you can see what the sons were wearing in Janet Arnold's book "Patterns of Fashion 1560-1620", since Sture's widow saved the clothing that they were wearing when killed. Mrs. Arnold drafted patterns from the clothing, and shows photographs of them in great detail. Here's the book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...mp;s=books

Anyway, I have long wondered if the "Svante Sture" mentioned in both the Janet Arnold book, and the Sword, are one in the same. Thanks!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Okay, for our Swedish Correspondents: Is this the same Svante Sture who, with his sons Nils and Erik, were murdered by King Erik XVth in Uppsala Castle in 1567? If so, you can see what the sons were wearing in Janet Arnold's book "Patterns of Fashion 1560-1620", since Sture's widow saved the clothing that they were wearing when killed. Mrs. Arnold drafted patterns from the clothing, and shows photographs of them in great detail. Here's the book:

Anyway, I have long wondered if the "Svante Sture" mentioned in both the Janet Arnold book, and the Sword, are one in the same. Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon, my good friend Lynn McMasters created the clothing you mention from the patterns in the Janet Arnold book. Check out the Page on her Web site

Further, check out my own outfit she created; a noble Elizabethan genteman's.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Actually, I already have! I was pretty much assuming that you were the same "Nathan Robinson" for whom she made that GREAT Noble's suit... man, that is HOT! Lynn McMasters seems to have managed to gain the rather unusual distinction of being both an excellent researcher AND an excellent tailor... a very rare combination. Sad to say most "period clothing" is pretty poor stuff, one way or another. It's a joy to see the exceptions to that!

I've seen a couple of excellent renditions of the Nils Sture suit, and in fact used the basic cut of the inner-leather hose for a pair of Landsknect hose I made a LONG time ago (1982, I think, LOL! My sister in law was a member of the Royal Costume Society and gave me a copy of the issue that had Janet Arnold's original research paper on the Nils Sture suit in it, from 1978 or so). What is cool too is that there are also some weapons belonging to Erik XV still extant... a beautiful pair of iron-stocked wheellock pistols for instance. (Not sure if there is a picture of them on the Net, but the book "Guns" by Dudley Pope has a great photograph of the pair).

At any rate, I'm glad to know that you are a gentleman of as fine a taste in clothing as you are in swords: I really couldn't get over that suit when I first found it a week or so ago. VERY, VERY Nice!

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

The murders of the father and sons Sture by the king Eric XIV is truly like a scene from MacBeth, only it did actually happen.
They were imprissoned in the castle of Uppsala and king Eric, in a fit of paranoia/madness (he was that type..) went and knifed one of the sons with his dagger. He could not finish the job but had one of the guards do it with a halberd...Then ordered the other killings to proceed.
King Eric was dethroned shortly afterwards by his brothers and locked away.
The victims were decendants of the Svante Nilsson Sture who was the regent of Sweden between 1504 and 1512. (the names Svante and Nils were used and reused by every generation in this family)
The clothes (with stab marks showing) are on display in the cathedral museum in Uppsala. If you ever happen to visit Uppsala, let me know and I´ll take you there.
There are some swords on display as well...
The swords of Gustav Vasa (the father of Eric XIV) and a rapier of Johan III (brother to Eric) are all in pretty good state of preservation.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Peter,

Could you possibly expand on why you think the niches held religious icons and further why you think they might have been gold/silver gilt?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Museum Line Update -- Svante
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: