Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Windlass Migration Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil Rakic wrote:
Does anyone have a preference between Windlass or Del Tin swords. I don't know, But I do know that Museum Replicas is using Windlass.

Windlass owns Museum Replicas. I prefer Del Tin swords. They are generally more historical in appearance. Many handle decently. I hear less about Del Tin failures (there are very few) than Windlass failures.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil Rakic wrote:
Does anyone have a preference between Windlass or Del Tin swords. I don't know, But I do know that Museum Replicas is using Windlass.

Generally speaking my preference would be for Del Tin. I have owned 3 models and all 3 were well made and I thought looked very good from a historical aspect. There are some pretty good Windlass swords out there as well, its just tricky to know which ones have gotten decent marks because Windlass has had so many different models over the years and the QC and fit and finish areas seem to be a bit hit or miss sometimes with Windlass. You can check the review page on this site as they have both Del Tins as well as Windlass models reviewed there.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Del Tin would be my first choice. I do have some Windlass swords left in my collection but most are viking inspired swords. Not a whole lot of production viking swords out there and I have a sickness for them. Wink
Non Timebo Mala
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil Rakic wrote:

Hello
Windlass/MRL hasn`t used or sold Del Tin since the 90`s. Del Tin is a much better product ,from Italy not India.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Del Tin cannot sell a sharp blade any longer, if I'm not mistaken. At least everywhere I've looked recently indicates this. Perhaps a relatively recent legal change in Italy. I'm not interested in blunts, and sharpening a blunt sword doesn't turn out the same as a sword made sharp, in my experience. Its unfortunate, some of the Del Tins would interest me a lot otherwise. I'll stay away from Windlass for a couple of reasons. First, if I want to stay in the Windlass price range, I believe there are better products available, with regard to both historical accuracy (how made), consistent dependability (well made). Second, I'm tending toward greater historical accuracy and higher quality as motivators, which moves me away from the Windlass price range in any case.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Del Tin hasn't been able to sharpen his blades for as long i can have been aware of him, so 12-13 years. Due to Italian Law. Any sharps are sharpened (for US sales) state side by the distributor, buyer or someone the buyer has hired. Kult of Athena sells Del Tins and offers a sharpening service that I hear is excellent.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cut with a few Del Tin swords sharpened with a secondary bevel, but well made one, and the cutting was very successful. I don't think any medieval warrior would complain about their performance...
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sharpening by KOA is very good. My Hanwei Claymore is a 4 foot long razor blade. And, to get this topic back on track....Yes, that Windlass Migration sword sucks. It looks like it was designed by a kindergarten class. I did once have the opportunity to handle one, though. The cheesy suede grip is very comfy, and it handles quite nicely......if you close your eyes and don't look at it! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ...........McM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Windlass Migration Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: