Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather gauntlets on Normans Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:

Why don't you just tailor your maille sleeves then? It's not hard to do, even on riveted maille. Getting rid of wizard sleeves a.k.a. batwings makes a hauberk look ten times as good IMHO.

I'd second that. Almost all off-the-peg mail looks bad and needs some tailoring - usually the sleeves and coif need the most work.
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Sun 19 May, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So I got a new hauberk a while back, and it is riveted, and there is no problem of bunched-up sleeves. I have been going bare-handed on this kit, and I think it's actually looking pretty good. In the end, however, I think I really want to have the fingered maille gloves. I am particularly torn over this matter, because I want to retain the look of a knight fighting under Richard the Lionheart. On the other hand, I really like the look of the maille gauntlet with fingers, which I fear didn't come around until the 13th century.

This appears to be the earliest reference to fingered maille gauntlets I could find, and to be honest I'm not 100% sure when it dates from.

I've heard many say it's from the early 13th century, but I've heard others say it's from the late 12th century. If the latter is true, then I'm golden, seeing as how Richard died in 1199. If it is indeed from the 13th century, but still early in the century I might be able to get away with wearing them.

Onto the next problem. I can't, for the life of me, find a place that sells riveted fingered gauntlets. Does anybody know any places that sell them?
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sun 19 May, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanusc...Start=5102

British Library lists the manuscript as being from 1201-1225. however, there are five inserted miniatures including folio 32r which they date to the last quarter of the 12th century, 1176-1200. Circa 1200 is a moderating call on the dating +/- 25 years, with Becket being martyred in 1170.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
James Barker

PostPosted: Wed 22 May, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
These in I33 look a lot like the civli & Indian war american cavalry gloves. Maybe civil war re-enactors use something similar that's being sold somewhere on the web?

Better than most things called medieval gloves but as of right now no one really sells a correct medieval pattern. I have made one for myself and its crazy time consuming to do right

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Wed 22 May, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The problem regarding the original query remains. We have pictures of 13th century gloves, but not of 12th century ones. It is certain that mail mittens and fingered gauntlets appear on the end of the hauberk sleeves during the last 3rd of the 12th century, but we have zero evidence for leather gloves. I'm sure someone will step up here to argue that something must have been worn between the mail and the hand, but can they provide any evidence for how that something was constructed or shaped in the 12th century?
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
James Barker

PostPosted: Sun 26 May, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
The problem regarding the original query remains. We have pictures of 13th century gloves, but not of 12th century ones. It is certain that mail mittens and fingered gauntlets appear on the end of the hauberk sleeves during the last 3rd of the 12th century, but we have zero evidence for leather gloves. I'm sure someone will step up here to argue that something must have been worn between the mail and the hand, but can they provide any evidence for how that something was constructed or shaped in the 12th century?

Leather mitten gloves go back into the 8th or 9th century and would make far more sense under a maille mitten tough I would suspect if you have a muffler in that era you would have integrated padding on the aketon like we see in the 13th century art.

5 finger gloves date back as far as the 11th century (Gloves of St. Hadelin) and you have cloth gloves solidly dated 12th. Also check out May, The Fécamp Psalter in the hawking section.

http://www.larsdatter.com/gloves.htm

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather gauntlets on Normans
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: