Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Please Help ID This Weapon Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Below is an unidentified object from the following thread:
http://history-sites.com/mb/cw/cwaemb/index.cgi?noframes;read=906

They're speculating that it's either an Excelsior grenade or Mcintyre repeating shell (see description in thread responses). I know we have a drawing of an Excelsior in our library here at Samford, so I'll try to firm this up for you.

Attachment: 37.16 KB
[ Download ]

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right, I am aware of the use of mines (with various fuse mechanisms) prior to 1868. However, the "horned" mine, which is what you refer to the object as resembling, did not appear until post-1868.

Brian M
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still don't understand why this would be bronze if it's some sort of munition, and that "stand" or whatever it is looks so irregular that I echo the suggestion that it's casting sprue. That still leaves the problem of why anyone would go to the trouble of casting the object only to abandon it unfinished. The molten look and material of that part of the object resembles the base of a myterious alloy "pig" I found in the rootball of a large downed tree many years ago. My geologist uncle advised me to have somebody run a geiger counter over the thing to make sure it wasn't radioactive (it wasn't), and that's something you might want to consider as well.
Anyway, I've just seen a line drawing of an Excelsior grenade and feel there's no need to scan it because the second image I posted above is almost certainly one of these grenades, minus its outer shell. I also looked at various Civil War era arty rounds, and I think the McIntyre Repeating Shell theory is probably closer to the truth IF this thing is a weapon. I didn't see one of that particular type, but the ball & sabot design seems to have been common. I guess your object could be the interior of such a round, but I know exactly zero about artillery. I don't know why something like that would be in Panama, but stranger things have happened (the Confederado community in South America, for example). Try posting your question over at the Camp Chase Gazette forum. Maybe some Civil War artillery re-enactor can solve this mystery for you. Here's the link:

http://www.campchase.com/

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
K Holsen

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Witt wrote:
The majority of the oxidation has been removed as you can see by the photos. What type of lab would provide the x-ray and/or carbon dating? I live in Southern Connecticut and am very close (about 40 min) from New York City. I'm sure there is such a lab, if not in CT, then near NYC.

You cannot carbon date anything that is not organic, talked to one of the profs today and he said the best thing he could think of is to take a small sample (about the size of your pinky nail) and have it analyzed for impurity content. That still will not give you a date of manufacture but will tell you the exact alloy which of course can then give you an approximate date and even possibly where it was made if the lab has a good database of samples. he even mentioned that he was doing something similar with an artifact he found on a dig in belize but then mentioned that he was getting a grant to pay for the analysis so it probably fairly expensive.
Taylor Witt

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

K, good point about the carbon dating. Pursuing a grant to determine the date does sound a bit excessive.

Sean, I don't know anyone with a Geiger counter. I'll run with your idea of the Excelsior grenade theory and see what I can find online. The material doesn't look the same (the picture you posted seems iron-like). I'll take your advice and post at camp chase.

However, I may have to rule out an Excelsior grenade if I determine the object is solid bronze by means of Brian M's post about weight/volume. It'll take some time to purchase something more accurate than my kitchen measuring cup. Happy But the test sounds easy. My only concern is that if the composition of metals isn't bronze, then I really won’t be able to tell anything at all about whether it is solid or hollow (indicative of gun powder).

Thanks to both of you.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Please Help ID This Weapon
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: