Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Japanese style sword by Howard Clark Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Japanese style sword by Howard Clark         Reply with quote

FWIW, Nathan has commented a few times that he'd like to see more posts on Japanese style swords. So here's something I just finished for a customer of mine (i.e., it ain't for sale).

Folded 1086/Electrolytic Iron daito by Howard Clark. Fittings by Patrick Hastings and Shuji Yamamoto

This is a rather unique sword by Howard Clark. The blade was made from 1086 steel folded with electrolytic iron. It was to some extent an experiment in steels by Howard. The blade is shobu zukuri and is very graceful and elegant in the hands. Shobu zukuri refers to an "iris leaf" shape. It is *not* just a shinogi zukuri without a defined kissaki. That is sort of a "general" definition that helps one understand, but it is not completely accurate either. Anyway, shobu zukuri means iris leaf and should generally taper gently towards the very tip.

As you can see from the photo above the hada (folding pattern) is in places very subtle but in others rather visible. Burnishing was carefully done to retain the hada in the shinogi ji (back ridge). According to Howard the blade is composed of over 12,000 layers of steel, hence the "tightness" of the hada pattern. It was a challenge to polish to say the least. The 1086 steel is amazingly abrasion resistant and getting the hada to "stand up" was an exercise in creativity. Especially considering the tightness of the majority of the hada. Most steels are like butter in comparison to this stuff. Which makes it even more difficult to polish. The end result was the majority of the hada has a vastly more traditional look.

The tsuba is from Japan by Shuji Yamamoto (signs "tomoji"). The fuchi kashira and matching kojiri are made by Patrick Hastings.

That's all folks.

Keith Larman
http://www.summerchild.com
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As much as I am into Western stuff, that is a real thing of beauty.
Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You said it, Geoff!

Keith, could you explain a bit more about the electrolytic iron? What exactly is it, and why was it choosen?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
You said it, Geoff!

Keith, could you explain a bit more about the electrolytic iron? What exactly is it, and why was it choosen?

I'm eager to know this, too.

By the way, I love that tsuba.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a very handsome sword.
I would like to comment more but I know next to nothing about Japanese swords hence if I attempted to I would just come across as an idiot. I think it would be cool for myArmoury to have a feature article regarding the components of the Japanese sword with maybe some general information on the subject. [/i]
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
This is a very handsome sword.
I would like to comment more but I know next to nothing about Japanese swords hence if I attempted to I would just come across as an idiot. I think it would be cool for myArmoury to have a feature article regarding the components of the Japanese sword with maybe some general information on the subject.

I'd like that, too. Find me an author, and I'll put it together. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Electrolytic iron is basically as close to pure iron as you're going to find. Basically it is created with an electrochemical process where the iron is deposited on an anode. I think they use different ferrous solutions, but the idea is to deposit the pure iron from the solution.

Howard used it to to see what would happen with the activity in the blade. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get photos of the more subtle stuff, but it is loaded up with small little odd little things in the hamon. Howard has been experimenting with a variety of things and when a good customer of both of us wanted a new sword we discussed the possibility of pushing the limits a bit.

The hope we both had was that the addition of the electrolytic iron would create a more visible grain all while going for more layers. We also hoped the addition of the pure iron would make the steel somewhat easier to shape, polish and finish. The bottom line was that it was even more difficult to polish than his homogeneous 1086 blades. Just as tough, just as hard, just as abrasion resistant, but now with a grain pattern I wanted to bring up. But the exact properties of Howard's 1086 formulation that make it so tough also made it very difficult to get the pattern to show up. So not only was it as hard as ever to shape and polish but getting the grain to show up that Howard worked so hard on was *really* a pain. Traditional polishing relies on welds becoming more visible due to the differences in the way the steel reacts to the abrasives (the stones, iron oxide abrasives, etc.). But this one just laughed at the stones.

I spent a *long* time on the finish on this one. Gorgeous steel, but the work to get there was enormous. Conventional steels (both modern and old tamahagane) is an order of magnitude easier to polish than this stuff. But you can't argue with the performance...

And on terms and definitions. Dr. Rich Stein has a long standing and excellent Japanese sword resource on-line. It is at http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl . If you look around you'll find a visual glossary which also links to a few other pages with more things shown. Lots of very good info on that site.

Maybe some time after I get caught up with long overdue projects I'll sit down and put something together. I've been thinking of doing it for my own site one of these days anyway.

Keith Larman
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oops, I left a thought out...

On the electrolytic iron... Basically at welding temps the carbon goes into solution so the electrolytic iron would "pick up" carbon from the 1086. So it slightly lowered the overall carbon level (although you wouldn't know it from polishing it). Carbon goes into solution very easily so part of the hope was the other differences in trace alloys that may not completely migrate would create a more vivid grain. The problem is that the steel is so bloody tough that even if that happened, the overall "matrix" of the sword surface was so bloody tough and also finely folded (12K layers) that even if it did happen, it just wasn't visible through polishing. The surface just wants to "skate" on the stones. So it was a huge amount of work to polish.

Looking in the right light at the right angle the steel gets an almost textured look. Which is interetsting because that's very much like what the blades of the so-called Hizen School traditionally had. The finer folded skin steel of certain traditional styles was often compared to things like pear skin or rice bran. So the grain pattern was discussed more as a texture (pear skin) than as a texture of more conventional pieces (itame or "wood grain" as an example). But this one also had some interesting welds running that were more visible than others. But Howard thought those welds were more related to being the last in the series of welds rather than related to the electrolytic iron.

Interesting project. It has been a lot of fun working with Howard in pushing the limits of all of this stuff. Him in his forging and steels and then to me to try to figure out how on earth to polish the stuff so it looks sort of traditional. It pushes my abilities too. And in the process I get to learn more about the metallurgy, heat treatment, etc. As we try to figure out how to get both a faithful traditional looking blade while pushing the limits of modern metallurgy and performance at the same time. There is no reason you can't have both.

Keith Larman
Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Question for you, Keith.

In the third photo, it looks like almost a lot of the Chikei / Inazuma comes back up into the Ji to form a closed shape. That's kind of interesting, don't know if I've ever seen that before (you'll see some that seem to form a bit of a shape, but not so obviously or frequent). Is that possibly related to the use of the electrolytic iron?

Either way, that's a really, really beautiful piece. I love the look of suguha hamon on a Shobu; there's just something so graceful about it. Thanks for sharing!

Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not Keith and I haven't seen the sword in person, but for what it's worth I think those are some of the more prominent weld lines that Mr. Larman was referring to.
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
I'm not Keith and I haven't seen the sword in person, but for what it's worth I think those are some of the more prominent weld lines that Mr. Larman was referring to.

Yah, but what exactly are things like chikei? Wink Weird to see activity that is kinda like traditional but also very different at the same time. Vocabulary starts to become a problem...

Keith Larman
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah but I want to know who built the saya. Happy It looks rather nicely done. I've got to get better at lacquering...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keith-
Were I to be in the financial situation I was years ago, this would be similar to the sword I'd want in my collection. I absolutely love the flow of lines and austere beauty of this piece.

Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Yeah, yeah but I want to know who built the saya. Happy It looks rather nicely done. I've got to get better at lacquering...

I've had a few people ask about who does my mounting. Out of necessity I do a lot of the mounting, fabrication, etc. myself. I job a few things out but the rest I handle myself. I spent a freaking day shaping that bloody tsuka and applying same' to it not to mention measuring it out, buttressing it up for tsukamaki, etc. But the final wrapping (tsukamaki) was done through Ted Tenold's Legacy Arts shop by Robin Ramirez. He's an up and comer. I shy away from wrapping as much as possible after I had a bizarre allergic reaction to the same' abrading my hands. Which is unavoidable doing good tsukamaki.

The finish on the saya is actually black gloss Mercedes paint I sent out to a friend who really nice work on things like Harley's and the like (who has nothing to do with the sword world otherwise). The finish is tough as hell, durable, easy to touch up. And a lot less costly than other options. Much of what makes the final finish look good is dependant on the quality of the shaping of the woodworking underneath. And learning how much "ramp" to leave between the wood and the "horn" fittings, inletting parts, etc. I will also do kashew lacquer when a customer requests it. I don't do urushi as I have enough allergies as it is and I'd rather not find out how allergic I could be to that stuff... But I'm talking with people who do custon high end stuff in Japan. But the dollars are pretty daunting. And installing the kojiri (endcap) turned out to be a lot more difficult than others I had done but that was due to problems I had being overenthusiastic originally then deciding to fix it, then redoing it, then trying something different to get a sronger fit, then... ahh, the joys of of custom work...

Keith Larman
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Keith-
Were I to be in the financial situation I was years ago, this would be similar to the sword I'd want in my collection. I absolutely love the flow of lines and austere beauty of this piece.

Thanks for the compliment. This was done for a customer of mine who basically lets me "do my own thing". I had send Howard a scan of a blade shaping I wanted and he just flat out nailed it. Then the customer gave me relative carte blanche to do my own thing. Given your post on the "ornamentation" of historic swords, this was a great example for me of the Japanese concept of shibui or shibumi -- understated elegance. All about the flow and subtle details. Nothing needed to be austentatious or "in your face". That's what I like... But that doesn't mean there aren't lots of details. They're just not obvious to the inexperienced eye. And they're not gaudy. They shouldn't be.

Some don't want to talk about the artsy stuff. But for me, the height of the craft is trying to reconcile artistic and performance. Often the artistic aspects in really fine examples (something I'd like to attain some day) are really the signs of the pinnacle of the craft being realized. Not because the artsy stuff makes it good, but because the ability to pull it off means that you had to be good to make it happen. And you had the ability, control, etc. to realize it. Steel is pretty amazing stuff. Modern heat treats can give you amazingly durable blades. But doing it realizing both performance *and* giving a strong, respectful nod to the traditional craft/art at the same time... that's a lot tougher to pull off. Everyone has their own take and desires. But this is the direction I like to travel...

Keith Larman
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keith Larman wrote:
Gabriel Lebec wrote:

Yah, but what exactly are things like chikei? Wink Weird to see activity that is kinda like traditional but also very different at the same time. Vocabulary starts to become a problem...

Heh... well, sure, if you want to be technical about it! Wink Big Grin

Actually, this begs the question (at least it does for me), how is it possible to get chikei independent of hada? The way I understand it, chikei is actually some form or amount of martensite in the ji (like ji-nie) - is this correct? If so, in order for a localized area to have the proper carbon levels for that to happen, wouldn't it have to follow the hada? I don't know metallurgy as well as some, but I know of a way of adjusting carbon content for a small specific area post-folding and welding such as would result in an effect like chikei... Unless... perhaps it's a function not of the carbon levels, but of the way the heat treatment works... hmmm...
Thom O'Leary

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Shibumi         Reply with quote

Keith Larman wrote:
this was a great example for me of the Japanese concept of shibui or shibumi -- understated elegance. All about the flow and subtle details.

"Understated elegance" is a great phrase for describing this sword. There isn't one feature that stands out in particular, but instead the various elements all move towards a singular feeling, like there is an invisible thread weaving it all together. This may or may not make sense, but there is a lot of jazz (as in the music) in this piece - lots of subtle things going on that work together, and no one playing too loud.

I know you put a lot of creative energy into choosing menuki - what design are they on this sword?
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shibumi         Reply with quote

Thom O'Leary wrote:
Keith Larman wrote:
this was a great example for me of the Japanese concept of shibui or shibumi -- understated elegance. All about the flow and subtle details.

"Understated elegance" is a great phrase for describing this sword. There isn't one feature that stands out in particular, but instead the various elements all move towards a singular feeling, like there is an invisible thread weaving it all together. This may or may not make sense, but there is a lot of jazz (as in the music) in this piece - lots of subtle things going on that work together, and no one playing too loud.

I know you put a lot of creative energy into choosing menuki - what design are they on this sword?

Thom:

The menuki were very simple shakudo bulls with gold highlights. They symbolize raw power. Sort of following the simple fittings and the notion of a folded high performance steel. Power. Not much beyond that...

Keith Larman

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Japanese style sword by Howard Clark
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic