Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Crecy Grete Swerde Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: The Crecy Grete Swerde         Reply with quote

Fellow Swordsmen,

I've been stationed in Japan for the past two and a half years. During that time, I've had my eye on a few weapons that I've been unable to (legally) have shipped to me here. At the top of that list is Albion's Crecy Grete Swerde, which I'd planned to buy as soon as I returned to the U.S. However, today I saw on their website that they were planning to discontinue it and will probably not have any left by the time I arrive at my next command.

There is a way that I could order one now, but it would be a logistical nightmare given my current geographical circumstances. I know that there is no way to know a sword from it's catalogue description, and so I wish to ask any who have hands-on experience with this blade if it's worth the trouble in terms of handling characteristics like balance, flexibility, cutting capability and thrusting capability. I've heard that it is fairly close to being an ideal hand-and-a-half in that regard, which is exactly what I've wanted for some time. Either the Landgraf or Sempach, also by Albion, would most likely be the second choice to fill that role.

So what do you all think? Is it worth moving heaven and earth from the other end of the planet to get this blade, or should I let this one go and choose another a year or so down the road? I appreciate any insight you might shed on this subject.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned a Crecy, and I currently own the following:

Baron: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_bar.html

Sempach: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_lansem.html (not my review but I agree with the comments)

Regent: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_reg.html

While the Crecy is a good sword, to be frank it's inferior to these other three.

The Baron is the closest one to the Crecy in overall design. However, it's a much more historically accurate design as well as being a far superior cutter.

The Sempach won't keep up with the Baron in the cutting department but it is the superior thruster, in relation to either the Baron or the Crecy.

The Regent has the best all-around combination of cutting and thrusting ability. It's also far cooler looking than the others Wink

I'd exercise a little patience and restraint and wait for one of the Next Gens. You won't regret it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Sam-
The Crecy is a damn fine sword and I was very fond of mine when I owned it. I sold it to raise money for custom purchases and a couple of the NextGens that Albion has since released. For the price, I'd say the Crecy is still a very good buy for a sword that is quite attractive and has the dynamic properties of a real sword. Having said that, however, I'd say that the price difference between the Crecy and the NextGens that Albion offers would make the NextGen swords a better value. I know this may seem like a strange comment, but I'd submit that the NextGens are that much better than the FirstGen swords and are worth more, proportionately, than the difference in price between the two lines.

If the NextGen line is too costly for you and simply out of reach, then there are other options available for you to consider such as the offerings from A&A or ATrim.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out This Topic for some recent thoughts.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

If you followed the link on Nathan's last post, you'll have seen that I recently received a Crecy myself. You'll also have seen that I have almost nothing bad to say about the sword. However, since your post indicates you're looking at the sword primarily for performance, I would have to echo the sentiments of Patrick and Nathan.

I've yet to cut with my Crecy, but I think it's common knowledge that Albion's products have improved a great deal in terms of design and performance since their First Gen line. If you're looking for a hand-and-a-half which combines beauty and superior handling, one of Patrick's suggestions from the Albion Next Gen collection is probably going to be your best bet. These are closely followed in my mind by an upgraded ATrim (see http://allsaintsblades.com for the AT catalogue, and http://christianfletcher.com for upgraded examples more visually comparable to Albion pieces), though many people will advocate ATrim swords over and above Albion's line. I don't believe a clear winner emerges between either the Albion swords or the ATs - which blade is better for you is really a matter of aesthetic opinion and personal handling preference, and you'll get an exceptional sword either way. Putting aesthetics aside however, if cutting performance alone is your criterion, reports on ATs seem to indicate they're the current pack leaders.

That said, I prefer the looks of the Crecy to any of the Next Gen swords Patrick linked; and you can read how I rate it against a comparable AT sword in my 'Crecy thoughts' post (though I stress that the AT 14th Cent. longsword I owned was a very old model). The Mark 1 Crecy can cut, no question (witness: http://www.paullarue.com/html/swords.html - click on the videos); and the sword you'd be ordering from Albion is the Mark 2 which I believe is superior cutter still: though the improvements may only be cosmetic, I've read that the Mark 2 upgrade makes the new Crecy comparable to a Next Gen sword. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm or deny the validity of this impression.

One other thing to keep in mind. A number of people have sold their Crecys through the classifieds in order to upgrade to a Next Gen Albion (...or new AT!), so even if you deliberate too long to catch one of the last Albion models, you may very well find someone willing to pass their sword along to you in response to a 'want' post.

To summarise, I'd say that if you like what you see and accept that it's not the most accomplished cutter on the market; you'll love the Crecy. The sword is everything the pictures promise, and a great deal more. However, there are some beautiful swords out there which perform a deal better; and it won't be impossible to find a Crecy once the last one ships out of Albion.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: You saw it here first...         Reply with quote

here is Peter's concept drawing for the NextGen Crecy, replacing the FirstGen model... (blade length 35.8" or 91 cm, compared to 36" for the FGCrecy)

This one should be available by the Spring of 2005, along with a replacement for the Agincourt...

Best,

Howy

Attachment: 18.99 KB
ngCrecy.jpg

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com

Last edited by Howard Waddell on Fri 05 Nov, 2004 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: You saw it here first...         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
here is Peter's concept drawing for the NextGen Crecy, replacing the FirstGen model...

This one should be available by the Spring of 2005, along with a replacement for the Agincourt...

Best,

Howy

Looks real nice and clean.

I know its not fair to ask yet, but any guess on price?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: You saw it here first...         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
here is Peter's concept drawing for the NextGen Crecy, replacing the FirstGen model...

Best,

Howy

Hey Joe!

Our goal is to keep these one-to-one models at the same price -- so at this point, it will be $575, at the lower end of the NextGen prices.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: You saw it here first...         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

Hey Joe!

Our goal is to keep these one-to-one models at the same price -- so at this point, it will be $575, at the lower end of the NextGen prices.

Best,

Howy

Going to be neat to see it in steel, but from the drawing, looks like it will be quite a value!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Joe. Peter's concept drawing indicates some significant improvements in the Crecy's design. At the listed price it might be quite a deal.
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What would the new Crecy be, a XVIa?
I hope sometime in the future you will consider an XIa as well. That would be a real rarity in the market.

Brian M
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
I hope sometime in the future you will consider an XIa as well. That would be a real rarity in the market.

Brian M

Hi Brian,

Yep, the new NG Crecy was designed to be a true Type XVIa, rather than the "tweener" that the original Crecy was. This sword (and the new Agincourt) were hashed out during Peter's last trip here. Howy, Eric, Peter, and myself all put our heads together and discussed what we liked and disliked about the original design (including the minor mods it has received over its' lifetime), and how we wanted to make it better. This is what we came up with.

Jason Dingledine
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:

Brian M

An XIa is pretty beefy. I wouldn't mind seeing one but the blade presence on it must be enormous.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:

Brian M

Funny, I asked for the same thing!

As it stands, I think Albion's NexGen line spans more non-XVIII Oakeshott types than any other manufacturer in the biz.

X and Xa are most definitely covered.

XI is partially covered, maybe sort of hybridized by three of their swords by the Templar (Xa/XI), Norman(Xa/XI), and Ritter (XI/XIIIb).

XII and XIIa are certainly covered.

XIIIa is covered. XIIIb is partially covered by the Ritter and Hospitaller. And Peter has been hinting that he has a design in mind for a XIII.

XIV is certainly covered.

XV will be covered by the Poitier and Castellan. XVa will be covered by the Agincourt.

XVI is certainly covered. XVIa will be covered by the Crecy.

XVII is covered.

XVIII will be covered by the Kingmaker. XVIIIa is partially covered by the Regent, which could also be considered an XVIIIb...

XIX will certainly be covered.

Though XX is not covered, XXa is, and that's close enough for me Big Grin

All in all, it is an incredibly diverse lineup. And the folks at Albion show no signs of slowing or stopping Cool

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

since my budget only allows a new sword every year that might be a 2005 model.
simply gorgeous
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword! I'm so glad the Crecy isn't retiring from Albion permenantly; particularly with that price tag.
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm. Now, do I keep my Mark II Crecy, or sell and go for the NextGen..........

The Mark II has such character, probably one of my favs... I don't think I can part with it, but! Mmm. NextGen.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James A. Vargscarr wrote:
I don't believe a clear winner emerges between either the Albion swords or the ATs - which blade is better for you is really a matter of aesthetic opinion and personal handling preference, and you'll get an exceptional sword either way. Putting aesthetics aside however, if cutting performance alone is your criterion, reports on ATs seem to indicate they're the current pack leaders.

I agree with your first statement above, but not the last one. Happy It's important to keep in mind that the Next Gen's are designed by Peter Johnsson, who has handled and examined many, many antiques. He is also one of the top custom smiths in the world. His swords (and those designed by him) will perform as well as their historic counterparts. He's not going to design a dud. Cool

AT's may cut soda bottles, etc. more handily in some people's hands. They may be some modern martial artists's choice for these cutting mediums, but that doesn't make them "pack leaders" in terms of cutting. In my opinion, the Next Gen's are not going to lag behind AT's in cutting ability. Neither sword will steer you wrong in terms of performance.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
James A. Vargscarr wrote:
I don't believe a clear winner emerges between either the Albion swords or the ATs - which blade is better for you is really a matter of aesthetic opinion and personal handling preference, and you'll get an exceptional sword either way. Putting aesthetics aside however, if cutting performance alone is your criterion, reports on ATs seem to indicate they're the current pack leaders.

I agree with your first statement above, but not the last one. Happy It's important to keep in mind that the Next Gen's are designed by Peter Johnsson, who has handled and examined many, many antiques. He is also one of the top custom smiths in the world. His swords (and those designed by him) will perform as well as their historic counterparts. He's not going to design a dud. Cool

AT's may cut soda bottles, etc. more handily in some people's hands. They may be some modern martial artists's choice for these cutting mediums, but that doesn't make them "pack leaders" in terms of cutting. In my opinion, the Next Gen's are not going to lag behind AT's in cutting ability. Neither sword will steer you wrong in terms of performance.

Well said Chad, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Hmm. Now, do I keep my Mark II Crecy, or sell and go for the NextGen..........

The Mark II has such character, probably one of my favs... I don't think I can part with it, but! Mmm. NextGen.

The last thing I need right now is another Albion longsword. On the other hand I find this new Crecy design very attractive. It has a "Jack of all trades" look that I find really appealing. I bet it's going to be a very versatile sword.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Crecy Grete Swerde
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: