Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite non-sword weapon? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:

You can certainly defend with a mace. One of the best bits of live (simulated) combat I ever saw was two-handed mace against various weapons. Superb defence by the mace-wielder, easily making up for the lack of reach, letting him get in close and defeat his opponents. Don't need a crossbar/guard for defensive use of a weapon.

Yup that was my point: If you don't have a shield you can use both hands and quickly shift grip from close together and offence to widely spaced and using the middle part for defence. One can do these transitions quickly and fluidly.

Reach can be an issue but once inside the range of a longer weapon " watch out " ! the opponent with the longer weapon is in grave danger.

One could use the same techniques with the much longer Danish Axe or a Bardiche which is basically an evolved Danish Axe with a very long cutting edge and a top horn that can thrust ....... just saying that if one is competent with polearms most techniques can be adapted to the specific weapon and weapon lengths. One disadvantage of the shorter polearms in my opinion is that defensively a weapon shorter than 5' long has too short a handle to use the queue techniques defensively and must use the center of the handle to bloc or deflect.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dave Stephan

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
One can do these transitions quickly and fluidly.

If only I were that one. Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
Reach can be an issue but once inside the range of a longer weapon " watch out " ! the opponent with the longer weapon is in grave danger.

I suppose that's the point of a long weapon, especially a two handed one. Aside from sheer power you can keep your enemies at a distance. But without a shield or some line of defense other than your weapon if they get past you you're pretty much gone.

Unless you pull a dagger from your sock.

I have no quarrel with you, good Sir Knight.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At equal skill levels the one with the longer reach has the advantage at least initially and it won't be that easy to close the distance for the one with the shorter weapon.

Pulling the dagger out of one's sock might not work as the guy with the mace will get to you first because of reaction time delay, but dropping the now useless spear ( Or long weapon ) and going into wrestling mode could work .... but outcomes would vary according to skill levels, strength, endurance + luck that is always a factor. Wink Big Grin Cool

Oh, we may be getting too far away from the original Topic subject matter and I encourage others to get back to their favourite weapon of choice other than the sword. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After single edged swords, I'd have to say the axe is my favourite weapon. My ideal weapon combo would be long knife and tomahawk. Too many times watching Last of the Mohicans!
“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion
William P

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

gonna go with jean, polearms are the best

particularly the famous swiss/ german halberd

or the bec de corbain poleaxe. i.e the hammer and spike combo.

for close in work a warhammer, topspike, hammer and backspike.. theres no opponent you cant potentially take down.

to quote the old knife infomercial "it slices, it dices!" they do everything

i love weapons that can allow you to do a very large number of things i.e the swiss army knife mentality, i like to keep my options as open as possible as to who or what i can take down.

i like to know i have reduced the number of situations my gear will put me at a disadvantage in, as being as little as possible.

i.e poleaxe, does he have plate? i can dent the plates, or puncture the maile.
does he have just maile and gambeson, ill just run him through with the top spike. or just use the hammer to crush him under the maile
can i outrange swords and shields, yes,

otherwise, a weapon i have used but not properly learned to use, is the danish axe. particularly the ones with the nice up-swept horn.

you can use it in 2 hands, you can hook shields aside, thrust with the horn, etc, its very versatile, except you cant use it with a shield.
but you can quickly reduce the length and strike someone no matter what distance they are.
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always been partial to the battle mace. My favorite style has always been the wood-shafted small-headed maces both knobbed or flanged. If I were to use it in battle, it would probably be during the Norman era, because I feel that maille isn't very well suited to defend against the impact of a well-placed mace blow. I remember seeing scenes from the Bayeux Tapestry that depict a mace being thrown at the enemy. I'm not sure how that would be done...or even why it would be done, it seems like a mace wouldn't make as good of projectile as say a small axe or a javelin. I've never thrown my mace, and I'm not sure I want to.
The mace pictured below is one I bought from KultofAthena.com. I'm not sure who the maker is. I love it, because it gives me the option to customize the shaft which I stained and wrapped in rawhide.

Attachment: 183.93 KB
mace head smaller.png
My battle mace with rawhide-wrapped shaft.
William P

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey Skriletz wrote:
I've always been partial to the battle mace. My favorite style has always been the wood-shafted small-headed maces both knobbed or flanged. If I were to use it in battle, it would probably be during the Norman era, because I feel that maille isn't very well suited to defend against the impact of a well-placed mace blow. I remember seeing scenes from the Bayeux Tapestry that depict a mace being thrown at the enemy. I'm not sure how that would be done...or even why it would be done, it seems like a mace wouldn't make as good of projectile as say a small axe or a javelin. I've never thrown my mace, and I'm not sure I want to.
The mace pictured below is one I bought from KultofAthena.com. I'm not sure who the maker is. I love it, because it gives me the option to customize the shaft which I stained and wrapped in rawhide.

OH so THATS where my book got that idea into its head..

one of my book showed the idea of throwing a mace.. it didnt make too much sense to ME unless you had no lance and wanted to help break a formation before impact.

now i know where they got the idea, though they drew a later period knight doing the same thing.
Jan J. Gahy

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My top list of non-sword weapons:

1. Lucerne hammer: You can thrust, you can smash and the best thing - you can do staff fighting with many interesting techniques. And it looks cool Happy

2. Ranseur - great design, staff fighting and keeping distance

3. One handed broad axe - speed, impact, and axe is multipurpose for living and working in middle ages

From these three i have only axe :/
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Favourite non-sword weapon?         Reply with quote

Besides from swords, I also like several weapons including the trident.
Tridents have been used over the years as both a weapon (by gladiators) and an implement to catch fish (by fishermen).
In Roman mythology Neptune, the god of the sea, wields a trident to symbolize his power over his realm.
During the Joseon Dynasty in Korea palace guards armed themselves with a trident called dangpa (당파), whose point is tied with a scarlet tassel.
The one pictured below is a modern reproduction of a trident used by gladiators.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Charles Richmond

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I rather enjoy my Hewing Spear as a break from the sword. Of course one observing me attempting to execute drills with it might very well get the impression that It's the last weapon I should be equipped with............................

A flanged mace also serves well as a stress reliever. Cutting with a sword, while gratifying, is not a substitute for the satisfying feel of smashing something into its component bits. I always walk away feeling quite satisfied.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My non-sword item would be the poll-axe, the all around Medieval weapon. It can be a spear, an axe, a hammer and a quarter staff.

Attachment: 56.07 KB
POLL AXE2A.jpg
Arms and Armor Poll-axe
Joel N

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very partial to the messer. Does that count as a non-sword? If it doesn't, I'll go with one of my bowie knives. If that still doesn't count because a bowie is arguably a short messer, (in which case I'll skip saying I like daggers, too, since they are also arguably shorter versions of swords,) I'll branch out and say I'd like to have a halberd and/or some other kind of axe-like weapon.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bow. Especially Mongol bow.

My bow is a modern recreation for the simple fact that I would not have the time and skills to take care of the real thing (let alone pay for one).

http://youtu.be/kVsQaXLHK68?hd=1

Bought it at a medieval fair. Same bows are sold in theUS by Seven Meadows Archery.

I'm planning to get a proper thumb ring to shoot it more authentically and perhaps even try it from horseback one of these days (my sister owns some horses).
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When it comes to a pure weapon, my first choice would be the spear, my second would be any sort of polearm. I really like the idea of a tool/weapon, in which case I really like axes, messers, seax and such. My ideal swordless panoply would be: round shield, winged spear, handaxe and seax for a 10th-12th century portrayal and a bill, messer and wurfhaken for a 15th century portrayal.
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two years ago, I would have said polaxe-warhammer for their multi-pronged versatility {http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_higgins_pole.html}, but after seeing Jean T's winged partisan spear, I find myself in the spear camp.
[url]http://www.michaelssmithy.com/Michaels_Smithy/Spears_and_Other_Weapons/Spears_and_Other_Weapons.html

Rationale: No weapon has been more successful before guns finally became reliable-enough in the 19th century. You won't often see spears or warhammers used properly in films because they're just too dangerous, and not easy to make 'flashy' on screen. Successful warfare strategy has depended on spears and their derivatives for success for millennia.

1) I like the complex spears, with hooks and spikes to supplement their use. I'd love to personally compare a simple winged spear, a winged partisan spear, and a well-made runka/ranseur before choosing a specific style. The use of spikes for hooking, blocking, and tripping appeal to me academically, while a moderate cut and thrust spear point strikes me as elegant and efficient.

2) Always choose the best weapon against your opponent of the moment. Spears were adapted successfully in all eras, with the runka/ranseur designed against plate armor. I'd bring friends who trained in formation fighting. Personally, the thought of fighting well armored opponents is pretty intimidating, so I'd choose an earlier period. (12-13th c?).

3) Any pole weapon manual would apply to spear use. It has been observed on this forum that training with the sword also carries-over to skill with pole weapons. I'd probably start with quarterstaff training. I could pick any culture to get ideas.

4) I don't own any historical weapons. If/when I decide to start collecting them, I'll beg Michael Pikula to make some styles of spear, and approach Arms & Armor for others. I've seen each of them make beautiful pole weapons for people on this forum.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Favourite non-sword weapon ? I've got to vote for boar/winged spear. Relatively cheap, but damned deadly. Also multi-purpose. Good offensive/defensive weapon..can be used as quarter-staff if necessary for non-lethal work. Also good for keeping you fed via hunting.
Sjors B

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my favourite non-sword weapon is without doubt the langes/grosses messer
designed as the combat variant of a kitchen knife grosses messer is known to be used by non-nobility for self defence in the late 14th to 16th century. since the 15th century techniques are being described in various german fechtbucher
as for manuscript, they are depicted in talhoffer, Kall, Mair bur foremost in the manuscript of johannes leckuchner.

why it is my favourite weapon? the techniques are very fast, sofisticated and good for putting up a bit of a show in combat.
a nice youtube movie showing some messer techniques:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=de&v=38sVdx7nzhQ

member of the langenort school for European martial arts in Nijmegen (NL)
http://www.historicalshows.com/
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to have to go with the crossbow. Think about it. Anyone can learn to shoot this weapon in an hour, it has long range, is easy to load, can be hard hitting enough to penetrate certain armors, and can be swung like an impact weapon in a pinch. And besides, one could wear a sword as a close-in backup weapon. It's also the only medieval weapon I can think of that is still used to this day (albeit in a hunting capacity), and is just as simple and effective now as it was then.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel N wrote:
I'm very partial to the messer. Does that count as a non-sword?

I'm not the authority or anything, but since I started the thread I'll go ahead and say that the messer counts as a sword. Big Grin I am really interested in owning a pata someday, but that's even still to sword-ish for me to use as an answer here, IMHO.

Myself, I'm very partial to the blunt trauma weapons. I really like war hammers and maces of all kinds. I own three maces and a war hammer, and lust over them all the time on museum websites. I feel like the mace would provide excellent offense in just about any age against any armor. I WISH I could find someone that sells one of Oakeshott's type M4 maces. I drool over this one often:
http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-t...s/40000577
Someday I'll get someone to custom make me one.

I'm also super interested in polearms. Spears have been a popular choice on this thread (I'm surprised at how many people have said spear, actually) but those don't really attract my attention. The partizan is actually one of my favorite polearms (which is funny, since it's so much like the spears that I just stated that I don't care for) but I'm also really in like with the duality that some of the pole axes offer: smash, stab, and slice all in one.

I love this partizan from the Wallace Collection. Another one on my "someday" list.
http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMus...detailView

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Museum Replicas used to make a similar mace quite a few years ago.I have not seen another replica since...

http://www.hankreinhardt.com/Sale/Axes/Maces%20330.htm

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite non-sword weapon?
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: