Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Knight photo request Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not arguing,to each his own.We all have a different tolerance but to me it's not about length or POB...this is just an example, but if I purchased and XIV and it had a spatulated X tip ,I would not be happy.I wouldn't care that it may fall under historical variances if it wasn't what I paid for.And here there is no "custom,hand forged" justification.After all it is still a "production" sword.
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Josh S

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Phil. I personally would not have found the "variance" shown in Paul B.G's original post acceptable. It changes the sword's overall appearance in a fairly major way. Additionally, a full centimeter seems a little much to chalk up to chance - that's no small amount of blade to grind away. One of the reasons Albions are so prized is because of their subtleties, and their attention to detail. The downside to this is that when those details and subtleties change, even if minutely, it has a larger effect on the overall piece relative to the same minute changes on a piece that does not focus so heavily on bringing subtleties into a higher degree of appreciation.

Considering Albion's response to be "disappointing" may be jumping the gun a bit, though. One should keep the context in mind; Paul B.G has already stated that he is satisfied with the sword as-is. Whereas I personally wouldn't be, that doesn't have any bearing on the nature of their response. In the context of being a satisfied customer, hearing that the variation was within specifications would be more reassuring than disappointing for me Happy
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D. wrote:
I am not arguing,to each his own.We all have a different tolerance but to me it's not about length or POB...this is just an example, but if I purchased and XIV and it had a spatulated X tip ,I would not be happy.I wouldn't care that it may fall under historical variances if it wasn't what I paid for.And here there is no "custom,hand forged" justification.After all it is still a "production" sword.

Thanks Phil,

Honestly, I’m not “100%” satisfied either and I think everyone would much prefer to receive a knight as pictured and specified on Albion’s site. I certainly wasn’t expecting a 1cm length variance and a less pointed tip. However others on this site and on SBG where I also posed the same question have stated that they have seen similar variations & Albion themselves have stated that this is normal, so if it’s normal, who am I to complain.

If I lived in the US with return postage being only $30 I would have most likely already returned it to KoA, but given that from here in Australia it costs about $100 to return you have to factor that in. And not relevant to this issue, this was the 3rd sword received from KoA trying to get what I wanted.

- 1st Hanwei Bushido, returned with bowed blade $88 return postage,
- 2nd Received with free postage another Hanwei bushido, returned with split joined handle $98 return postage
- 3rd $80 Postage Paid for Albion Knight, 1cm short blade and less pointed tip, lol I’m laughing as I type this, what a run. (KoA wouldn’t cover the postage on this one)
- Ive spent $266 more on postage than I should have, 3 tries to get 1 sword.

Given the problems I had, I really have to settle with what I’ve got, postage is a killer. Are Hanwei’s perfect no, are Albion’s perfect no, am I experienced with swords no, am I getting what I paid for, I really don’t know.

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this. But even with these variations from Albion's specs, you still have a great, high quality historical sword.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be totally fine with it, especially in a NG sword- as exact replication of one sword is not the selling point- per se. I would even say that exact duplication between individual NG swords is not a selling point. It isn't especially important to me whether my NG's show SLIGHT variance from model to model.

I must admit if this were a ML sword in question I would likely look at the issue differently.

I would certainly hope and expect that a much tighter spec. variance is acceptable regarding ML swords as I expect my Solingen, as an example, to be fairly precise in comparision, first to other Solingens, and then of course to the original.

I wonder how other's ML swords specs. compare to those shown on Albion's website. Perhaps this is a worthy question.

On the other hand, I never measure or weigh my swords so I would be oblivious anyway to any slight variance. Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul B.G wrote:

Given the problems I had, I really have to settle with what I’ve got, postage is a killer. Are Hanwei’s perfect no, are Albion’s perfect no, am I experienced with swords no, am I getting what I paid for, I really don’t know.

In principle if I wanted the exact same sword in the Albion site pics because it was specifically the type of sword point I wanted or liked I might feel disappointed.

But if I really liked the general look of the sword and not really having chosen to buy that specific sword specifically because of the point shape then I would probably be happy with a point shape that I find more robust. ( Might actually prefer the difference. Wink )

Certainly advertising pics should be as close as possible to to what is shipped within reasonable tolerances since any differences can be perceived by some as O.K. and others might be disappointed.

So unless you really hate the point, considering the high costs of shipping, it would be best to forget about it and enjoy the sword as is.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the time you've wasted creating and participating in this thread you could have boxed the sword up and had it back in route to Albion to be replaced. I don't mean that statement to be inflammatory or insulting so please don't take it that way. However, you do realize these are objects made with a good degree of handwork involved? These are not objects spit out by a machine as most other things in our society are. I've been dealing with swords and sword makers longer than most here and that variance falls within my personal realm of acceptability. The profile of the tip does change the look of the blade in a small way but it doesn't compromise the function or overall aesthetic of the piece. 1cm? Come on guys. If your expectations are that rigid you really need to find a new hobby that totally eliminates the human factor in the manufacturing process. IMHO your dissatisfaction and expectations are unreasonable.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
In the time you've wasted creating and participating in this thread you could have boxed the sword up and had it back in route to Albion to be replaced. I don't mean that statement to be inflammatory or insulting so please don't take it that way. However, you do realize these are objects made with a good degree of handwork involved? These are not objects spit out by a machine as most other things in our society are. I've been dealing with swords and sword makers longer than most here and that variance falls within my personal realm of acceptability. The profile of the tip does change the look of the blade in a small way but it doesn't compromise the function or overall aesthetic of the piece. 1cm? Come on guys. If your expectations are that rigid you really need to find a new hobby that totally eliminates the human factor in the manufacturing process. IMHO your dissatisfaction and expectations are unreasonable.

Thanks for your input,

Edit: I didn't feel I was being unreasonable is my questioning to find what it and what isn’t acceptable, if i don’t ask the question how am I to gain this experience.
(So I’m unreasonable to ask the question, I feel perhaps you have only skimmed this thread and have posted your reply in reaction to a handful of comments.)

“In the time you've wasted creating and participating in this thread you could have boxed the sword up and had it back in route to Albion to be replaced”
Edit: With postage costs being what they are from Australia, I thought it best to get some advice before sending it back.
(Did you see my comments regarding postage costs?)

“I don't mean that statement to be inflammatory or insulting so please don't take it that way”
edit: I found your reply to be insulting.
(Yes you do, that’s how you have phrased your reply.)

“However, you do realize these are objects made with a good degree of handwork involved?”
Edit: Yes Im aware they are handmade.
(Yes, as I have stated.
I wrote “Whilst mine doesn’t quite have as defined a point, I feel its more of a hand forged varance factor. I think im ok with it now”)

“These are not objects spit out by a machine as most other things in our society are”
Edit: I understand this.
(As I understand it, the main sword blank is “spit out by a machine” then it is hand ground and mounted and finished.)

“variance falls within my personal realm of acceptability”
Edit: Thankyou this is an answer to the question i was trying to ask.
(This was the point of this thread, as I have little experience, I was hoping to draw on the experience of others to get just that answer, thankyou.)

“If your expectations are that rigid you really need to find a new hobby”
Edit: Part of this hobby is to expand my knowledge base and all this information helps me to do so. My expectations are part of this knowledge base. But still high expectations are not a bad thing, if we lower our expectations just imagine the sorts of swords that would enter the market.
(Thanks that’s really helpful advice, the highlight of your post. Perhaps cast your mind back to when you 1st started collecting, no don’t, you probably started collecting as an expert.)

I have edited this post to tone down my reaction to Patricks comments, I apologise if I have offended.
Regards

Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

Last edited by Paul B.G on Wed 14 Mar, 2012 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul, your snide and sarcastic response is unwelcome. Further, it's not up to you to tell others what their intentions are. You'll refrain from doing this again. You're welcome to, and in fact, encouraged to respond to such posts and to even express your frustration or annoyance with them, but do so professionally and without the sarcasm in the future. Further comments or questions regarding this can be directed to me in private.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Phil D.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I for one sympathize with Paul's frustration.Albion does great work.And I would hope that they stand by it.Here is a quote from Albion's main page:

these limited edition collectable swords are all painstakingly handmade to "exacting design specifications", based on countless hours spent in the detailed study and documentation of original swords.

Translate it as you will.

I am an artist by trade.I work with my hands all day.I've had bad days and not produced the standards to which I am capable.When I do,I do not hold my client responsible for my work.I fix it or redo it and give him/her what they expected at no extra expense to them.I am sorry if someone had a bad day at the grinder but the customer shouldn't have to suffer for that if they are displeased with the outcome..Just because an item falls within historical variance means nothing ,it is still different than the expectations that were purchased based on the pictures and info shown.If it is going to be touted as a near custom or "recreation of an actual piece" then it should be treated as such.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."

Last edited by Phil D. on Wed 14 Mar, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Phil I am pretty sure their website makes reference to variances. You just need to look at their pommels, grips etc to see many examles of this. All my Albions have had variances, but no flaws that I considered unnaceptable. For example my Knecht has a POB about 2cm further out than syayed but I have it on good authority that this is not detrimental to the swords handling and certainly well within historical examples.

This is my biggest source of frustration on this issue. I have looked on their site and could not find a clearly posted disclaimer stating what is reasonable to expect with their products. There should be a page that discusses this and a link from every single area that lists specifications. Heck, even saying "Approximate specifications" or something similar instead of just "Specifications" would be a move in the right direction.

I've written about this before on the forums, but I'll say here again that it is within all product manufacturers' control to set expectations with potential clients regarding their products. Not doing so opens everything up to interpretation, confusion, disappointment, and many other things.

I ask that all makers carefully consider this point and start to proactively set expectations with their customer base, carefully describing their products and noting any limitations, differences from items shown or described, etc. etc. This will help their business greatly and improve the customer experience for us all.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have edited my prior post, I apologise if I have offended.

Paul B.G

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Paul Watson wrote:
Phil I am pretty sure their website makes reference to variances. You just need to look at their pommels, grips etc to see many examles of this. All my Albions have had variances, but no flaws that I considered unnaceptable. For example my Knecht has a POB about 2cm further out than syayed but I have it on good authority that this is not detrimental to the swords handling and certainly well within historical examples.

This is my biggest source of frustration on this issue. I have looked on their site and could not find a clearly posted disclaimer stating what is reasonable to expect with their products. There should be a page that discusses this and a link from every single area that lists specifications. Heck, even saying "Approximate specifications" or something similar instead of just "Specifications" would be a move in the right direction.

I've written about this before on the forums, but I'll say here again that it is within all product manufacturers' control to set expectations with potential clients regarding their products. Not doing so opens everything up to interpretation, confusion, disappointment, and many other things.

I ask that all makers carefully consider this point and start to proactively set expectations with their customer base, carefully describing their products and noting any limitations, differences from items shown or described, etc. etc. This will help their business greatly and improve the customer experience for us all.

I completely agree with this, they simply don’t give a clear guide as to the finished expectation, and the quote from Phil’s post indicates that the finished product will have "exacting design specifications", one could easily extend this to be mm / gram perfect. But regardless of this expectation the guide line is not set, and moreover a better / more detailed reply from Albion would not have gone astray either, rather than “Its within our specs bud. There are definitely some variations, depending on which person is grinding, etc. Best Wishes”

Paul

Last edited by Paul B.G on Wed 14 Mar, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After my post I could not find anything on the site as has been stated by others. I now think the memory of such statements was taken from collector feedback which is an entirely different source than the manufacturer so apologies for that. I thibk regardless of all other factors the fact that Paul BG did not receive the sword he was expecting based on avaulable manufacturers information is the main relevant point. Many here accept these variances but each to their own and I queried my first sword that I had concerns about which was the Regent. I did not think the blade was sharp, I could comfortably run my finger down the blade whereas in my reading some had said such a sword would be razor sharp or at leasr very sharp. After enquiring with people here I found out that the sword was blunter than what some had received and the same as what others had received. I was dissapointed at first but came to realise this may well be within historical paramwters. The sword was also 4oz lighter than published. I think if it had been 4oz heavier I would have been very concerned. Similar to having a 80 cm blade thst is only 79cm. I also sympathise with the shipping costs issue, being from approximately the same area of the world. I have come across an Aussie based company selling Albion online, I will try to yrack them down for you. maybe a better option than buying from overseas.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
I have come across an Aussie based company selling Albion online, I will try to yrack them down for you. maybe a better option than buying from overseas.

Thanks Paul, if its the seller im thinking of, who I got my Crecy through, they currently have the knight listed for AUD$1,232 + shipping. They did offer good service with my Crecy purchase, but there prices are a bit on the high side.

Cheers

Paul

Phil D.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a reputable seller I would hope that Albion and Paul are able to address and resolve this issue.It would alleviate any future buyer concerns.

Last edited by Phil D. on Thu 15 Mar, 2012 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,

In the future please show me the courtesy of taking my comments at face value and please do not dictate my intentions, I believe I know them better than you. This medium provides very limited communication and if one reads too much between the lines things can quickly go astray. Your response to my initial post serves as an excellent example of that.

To be frank, not snide but simply frank and blunt as is my preference, the reply you received from Albion is the same reply you'd get from any other maker in this industry. Having dealt with both custom and production sword makers for over three decades I can tell you there is a natural variance in the process. To expect an exact adherence to specifications right down to the micrometer is simply not the reality in this field. I've seen variances far greater than that which you've experienced and that in work by highly regarded custom makers, not just production houses. That variance is simply part of the natural process by which these items are manufactured, that's the reality. These are swords which adhere to the ancient handworking processes to one degree or another, these aren't I-Phones or Crocks. Wink

Your confusion is far from unique. As with many new people in the hobby you come from a very precise and mass produced world in which one item is identical to another of the same type. In our world where fewer and fewer things are made by hand this is expected. I'm not trying to make an excuse for shoddy work, but I don't consider the variance in your sword to be an example of such. Originals of your swords type will show far greater variances, fullers will waver all over the place, guards will be noticeably offset, hammer marks will be evident, etc., etc. Yet these swords were considered perfectly acceptable and even fine examples of their type in that far more naturalistic world.

I don't recall seeing any kind of guarantee of exact adherence to specifications on Albions site, or even a statement of proportional acceptance. Then again, I don't recall seeing it on any other companies website either. In my opinion, and it's only my opinion, such a demand is just a bit excessive.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

Whilst it may not have been your intention, your blunt, as you put it, condescending as I read it, original reply to this thread was just that, condescending. If you don’t want the intention of your comments taken other than intended, I would suggest that in future that you reply in others threads with the same respect and courtesy as they do so to you. And to be frank, the intention of your original reply did not come across to me as you offering advice but you mocking me for even daring to question the finish of the Albion Knight. And as limited as this medium is for communication, other seem to be able to offer advice and comments without the condescending manner, my reply was in response to this tone.

The reply from Albion to my question is another issue all together, aside from the finish variation. This is to do with customer relations and seemingly my expectations are higher than others. Whether the finish of the Knight was spot on or a bit off or another industry all together, I still expect a high level of customer service. Aside from the finish of any sword, we should all hold a high expectation of customer service.

Clearly your original reply to this thread has put me offside, and my reply in turn has put you offside, but again my intention in starting this thread was to gain a better understanding and in the end you have offered your experience which I am grateful for.

Regards

Paul

Josh S

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Your confusion is far from unique. As with many new people in the hobby you come from a very precise and mass produced world in which one item is identical to another of the same type... Originals of your swords type will show far greater variances, fullers will waver all over the place, guards will be noticeably offset, hammer marks will be evident, etc., etc. Yet these swords were considered perfectly acceptable and even fine examples of their type in that far more naturalistic world.

I can't speak for Paul, but I myself wouldn't care as much about a (slightly) offset guard as I would about a blade that had been obviously ground down into a new shape. Hammer marks and wavering fullers wouldn't bother me at all, unless they were truly ridiculous or I had clearly requested them to be more or less perfect. As an example, the twin fullers on the type XIIIa I purchased from Michael Pikula differ in length from each other, but I don't find this to detract from the blade in any way; in fact, I've learned a way to make us of it in practice cutting, as I can thus orient the blade the same way every time, and only have to worry about sharpening and filing nicks out of one edge instead of two.

However, that is all preference, and by its very nature, preference is personal. As such, our preferences have no bearing on Paul B.G's; the question is not so much whether we share his preferences, but whether or not his preferences are within reason. I think they are. He developed an expectation for the point on his blade; this was part of why he chose that particular blade. He looked at what information was available, and used it in making his decision. For him to receive something noticeably different than what that information showed, and only then be told he should have expected what he ended up receiving, just isn't good business practice. For any company. And that has nothing to do with coming from a culture of mass-produced kitsch.

Again, I cannot speak for him, but I myself trust my instincts. My instincts would tell me that, if I can easily tell this sword differs from the way it's "supposed" to be, based on the manufacturer's own advertisements, then something is off. We're hardly discussing "specifications right down to the micrometer." I suppose we differ in opinion here, but I would say a centimeter is quite a bit of a difference; it's easily visible, even from a short distance. Would it be unreasonable to be disappointed by a crossguard with one of its arms a centimeter shorter than the other? And because we're talking about the tip of a blade, that small difference counts even more. It is not so much the loss of length that would bother me as it is the change to the blade's shape at the tip. Actually, if the blade maintained a similar profile but lost some mass(whether length, width, or thickness), I would find that perfectly acceptable. But now I'm diving into preference again...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It almost looks like there's a couple people here looking to lose their posting privileges. My comment, "Further comments or questions regarding this can be directed to me in private" said above is clear. Any further attempts to guide the behaviors and methods of communication of others will result in loss of privileges. This is not the job of the members of this site to do. This is very clear in our rules of conduct:

Quote:
Do not take it upon yourself to moderate our forum
Allow our moderators to do all the moderating of the forum. It is not your job to outline the rules to other members, admonish them, or discuss their behavior even when they are acting inappropriately. If you have an issue, please send a private message to one of our moderators or to the administrator of the site.

This is the final word I'll say on this issue. My next action will simply to be to remove the person's posting ability.

I trust that I'm crystal clear at this point.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Knight photo request
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: