Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Walking stickDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

I get a kick out of the picture of your eagle stick where it's tethered to your door lever; it looks like it wants to get free and hop over and kill something! Comparing your eagle head and mine, somehow yours looks fiercer while mine looks sort of disdainful. LOL!

I think the carved shaft and brightly colored head draw more attention from the public than mine does. One of the reasons for this is the difference in size, when I'm holding mine most of the head is covered up with my hand. Your stick is bigger and draws you to hold the shaft under the head leaving the head visible.

When someone notices my stick I tell them that I have to take it out for occasional walks or it gets cranky.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this is the best one yet in my opinion!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This stick is loosely inspired by North American Amerindian Warclubs, but put together very differently.

For the ball part I glued together 12 layers of 1/4" thick Purpleheart alternating the grain direction by 90° for each layer to form a cube of Purpleheart plywood.

I later used the Proxxon carving tool to turn the cube of Purpleheart into a sphere with a cutout to fit the stick part of the walking stick.

The stick part is a branch I salvaged a year before after a wind storm that brought down many branches from local trees in my neighbourhood.

I let the branch dry in my basement for a year before working on it. I put some vaseline at the cut ends of the branch to minimize any possible cracking of the wood at the ends because the cut ends tend to dry faster than the rest of the stick.

I left the bark on the branch during the time it was drying.

The branch is Hard Maple and actually is very hard wood although Purpleheart is about twice as hard as Hard Maple.

The ball is glued to the branch using Titebond III and there are also two 1/4" steel pins that converge into the Purpleheart sphere from the branch side and go about half way through the sphere.

There is a third pin inserted from the ball side that only goes halfway into the ball and meets the pins from the other side.

I first carved a pattern of low relief decorative cuts into the top part of the branch and then used a woodburning tool to darken the lines.

I also made some finer crosshatched lines to do shading on the stick.

Attachment: 85.65 KB
Stick20 01.JPG

Attachment: 102.58 KB
Stick20 02.JPG

Attachment: 107.94 KB
Stick20 03.JPG

Attachment: 107.34 KB
Stick20 04.JPG

Attachment: 110.86 KB
Stick20 05.JPG

Attachment: 99.83 KB
Stick20 06.JPG

Attachment: 91.72 KB
Stick20 07.JPG

Attachment: 139.06 KB
Stick20 08.JPG

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some more pics of the stick, some of the pics show the two steel pins going in from the branch side and the single pin in the middle of the Purpleheart ball.

Attachment: 137.79 KB
Stick20 09.JPG

Attachment: 118.86 KB
Stick20 10.JPG

Attachment: 131.55 KB
Stick20 11.JPG

Attachment: 120.51 KB
Stick20 12.JPG

Attachment: 130.79 KB
Stick20 13.JPG

Attachment: 125.85 KB
Stick20 15.JPG

Attachment: 135.31 KB
Stick20 14.JPG

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still say this is the most individualistic stick of yours that I've seen. A lot of your other sticks seem to have taken stylistic details from something but this one seems to be right out of your head only! After some study I do think the wood burned details on the maple shaft look a little bit like scrimshaw but even there the patterns are like nothing else! Congratulations Jean! It's really a rarity when someone comes up with something truly unique and individualistic!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
I still say this is the most individualistic stick of yours that I've seen. A lot of your other sticks seem to have taken stylistic details from something but this one seems to be right out of your head only! After some study I do think the wood burned details on the maple shaft look a little bit like scrimshaw but even there the patterns are like nothing else! Congratulations Jean! It's really a rarity when someone comes up with something truly unique and individualistic!

Thanks Ken for the compliments.

I think that it might resemble scrimshaw because the colour of the Maple after polishing is almost bone or ivory like and very very smooth, it also feels almost bone like in the hand.

John Hardy

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks like a beautiful walking stick. How long is it overall?

I was also wondering about that ferrule on the bottom. I am familiar with the steel or brass "bucket ends" you can get various places for tipping walking sticks. Most of them are only a couple inches long. Of course, Lee Valley sells those bigger combination ones for hiking staffs that have interchangeable soft rubber or metal spike ends, but even they are only about 3 inches long.

Your walking stick looks like it has closer to the last 6 inches sheathed in metal with the end thick enough to hold a "crutch tip". Is that ferrule one you machined yourself for this specific stick? If not, where on earth did you find it?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Hardy wrote:
That looks like a beautiful walking stick. How long is it overall?

I was also wondering about that ferrule on the bottom. I am familiar with the steel or brass "bucket ends" you can get various places for tipping walking sticks. Most of them are only a couple inches long. Of course, Lee Valley sells those bigger combination ones for hiking staffs that have interchangeable soft rubber or metal spike ends, but even they are only about 3 inches long.

Your walking stick looks like it has closer to the last 6 inches sheathed in metal with the end thick enough to hold a "crutch tip". Is that ferrule one you machined yourself for this specific stick? If not, where on earth did you find it?

Ah, a question or questions, been waiting for questions ..... Wink Big Grin Cool ( Sort of joking here, like I was a genie in the lamp or long some forgotten Alien A.I. in a science fiction book who has been waiting for eons for someone to finally ask a question .... Laughing Out Loud Yeah, I'm a big Sci-Fi. fantasy NERD Blush Laughing Out Loud )

The stick is 42" inches overall, it is meant to be held around the shaft and not on top or using the ball in the hand.

The ferrule is from a butt end meant for spears...... I use various models made by Windlass and I usually buy them from Kult of Athena.

This specific one has a bulbous end that fits a 1" diameter crutch tip. I often use a different style that can use a rubber 3"4" crutch tip that can be purchases at most pharmacies.

I am adding the links to the Kult of Athena site where you can purchase these spear butts in 3 different styles.

One has a very long and pointy tip that would not be suitable for most sticks but very useful as a secondary point on a pole arm: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ar+Buttcap

The bulbous ended one I used on this stick is this one: Overall length is 4 7/8"

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...r+Butt+Cap

The tip I use the most often is this one:

The bulbous ended one seems to aesthetically work the best with a natural branch as it feels more " organic " to me.

Glad to help, and Kult of Athena is a very reliable vendor I have done business with dozens of times, they are fast and when they say it's in stock it actually is in stock, and they seem to have a good return policy should one not like the product or if it should have a defects. ( Although I personally have never had to return a defective object, Ryan at KoA will also answer questions on e-mail about products honestly if one needs more information before deciding to purchase ).

John Hardy

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Ah, a question or questions, been waiting for questions ..... Wink Big Grin Cool ( Sort of joking here, like I was a genie in the lamp or long some forgotten Alien A.I. in a science fiction book who has been waiting for eons for someone to finally ask a question .... Laughing Out Loud Yeah, I'm a big Sci-Fi. fantasy NERD Blush Laughing Out Loud )

The stick is 42" inches overall, it is meant to be held around the shaft and not on top or using the ball in the hand.

The ferrule is from a butt end meant for spears...... I use various models made by Windlass and I usually buy them from Kult of Athena.

This specific one has a bulbous end that fits a 1" diameter crutch tip. I often use a different style that can use a rubber 3"4" crutch tip that can be purchases at most pharmacies.

I am adding the links to the Kult of Athena site where you can purchase these spear butts in 3 different styles.

One has a very long and pointy tip that would not be suitable for most sticks but very useful as a secondary point on a pole arm: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ar+Buttcap

The bulbous ended one I used on this stick is this one: Overall length is 4 7/8"

The bulbous ended one seems to aesthetically work the best with a natural branch as it feels more " organic " to me.

Glad to help, and Kult of Athena is a very reliable vendor I have done business with dozens of times, they are fast and when they say it's in stock it actually is in stock, and they seem to have a good return policy should one not like the product or if it should have a defects. ( Although I personally have never had to return a defective object, Ryan at KoA will also answer questions on e-mail about products honestly if one needs more information before deciding to purchase ).

That's a nice height for a walking stick like that.

I liked the longer ferrule on your stick because it looks more like the 18th and early 19th century ones intended to protect against staining by the muck of unpaved roads. Those dinky little modern ones only came in with paved roads, and I don't find them all that great for muddy trail hikes -- or in city slush, for that matter. It never occurred to me to use a spear buttcap for a staff ferrule. A case of getting too focussed on the 'name' to look at what the item actually 'is', I suppose. Interesting that the tips will fit standard-sized rubber crutch tips.

I've heard nothing but good comments about KOA, although I have never dealt with them myself. If you are ever looking for a Canadian dealer, two that I've found very good to deal with are Reliks in London ON (reliks.com) or Warriors and Wonders in Vancouver BC (warriorsandwonders.com). Reliks carries Windlass stuff and I noticed it has both those spear butts in stock.
John Hardy

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I just wanted to thank you for the tip about using those Windlass spear butts for cane or staff ferrules. A couple years ago, I made myself a hiking staff from the handle of a long-dead shovel. After I cleaned about 50 years of grime and dirt off the handle, the wood underneath was a beautiful piece of well-seasoned straight-grained hickory (I think - it might be oak or maybe even ash, although I think the grain is wrong for that.) I fitted the top with an aluminum knob shaped like a Scottish thistle and then put one of those Lee Valley hiking staff ferrules on the bottom, ending up with a 52" hiking staff. However, the ferrule always seemed a little undersized for the staff - a bit light for the balance, a bit short for use on muddy trails or woods, and the rubber 'city tip' has a gripping surface less than 1/2" in diameter.

Based on your suggestion, I ordered a couple of those spear butts (from Reliks rather than KOA to avoid cross-border shipping during the Christmas rush). They arrived yesterday and I replaced the 3" Lee Valley ferrule with one of the flat-ended spear butts tonight. It fit beautifully - just a bit of extra shaping with a whittling knife to fit the extra depth of the new ferrule, a bit of Danish oil to give a protective coat to the newly whittled surface, and I was able to pound it permanently into place with a rubber mallet.

The longer ferrule suits the proportions of the staff better (I think anyway), the staff balances in the hand better when I swing it while walking, the end can sink much deeper into snow or muck before the wood starts getting wet and stained, with a rubber crutch tip added it has a much wider and more secure gripping surface on city pavement, and lastly the new ferrule adds a handy couple of extra inches to the staff's height. Overall, a definite improvement. Thank you.

John Hardy wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

That's a nice height for a walking stick like that.

I liked the longer ferrule on your stick because it looks more like the 18th and early 19th century ones intended to protect against staining by the muck of unpaved roads. Those dinky little modern ones only came in with paved roads, and I don't find them all that great for muddy trail hikes -- or in city slush, for that matter. It never occurred to me to use a spear buttcap for a staff ferrule. A case of getting too focussed on the 'name' to look at what the item actually 'is', I suppose. Interesting that the tips will fit standard-sized rubber crutch tips.

I've heard nothing but good comments about KOA, although I have never dealt with them myself. If you are ever looking for a Canadian dealer, two that I've found very good to deal with are Reliks in London ON (reliks.com) or Warriors and Wonders in Vancouver BC (warriorsandwonders.com). Reliks carries Windlass stuff and I noticed it has both those spear butts in stock.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Hardy wrote:
Hi Jean,

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I just wanted to thank you for the tip about using those Windlass spear butts for cane or staff ferrules. A couple years ago, I made myself a hiking staff from the handle of a long-dead shovel. After I cleaned about 50 years of grime and dirt off the handle, the wood underneath was a beautiful piece of well-seasoned straight-grained hickory (I think - it might be oak or maybe even ash, although I think the grain is wrong for that.) I fitted the top with an aluminum knob shaped like a Scottish thistle and then put one of those Lee Valley hiking staff ferrules on the bottom, ending up with a 52" hiking staff. However, the ferrule always seemed a little undersized for the staff - a bit light for the balance, a bit short for use on muddy trails or woods, and the rubber 'city tip' has a gripping surface less than 1/2" in diameter.

Based on your suggestion, I ordered a couple of those spear butts (from Reliks rather than KOA to avoid cross-border shipping during the Christmas rush). They arrived yesterday and I replaced the 3" Lee Valley ferrule with one of the flat-ended spear butts tonight. It fit beautifully - just a bit of extra shaping with a whittling knife to fit the extra depth of the new ferrule, a bit of Danish oil to give a protective coat to the newly whittled surface, and I was able to pound it permanently into place with a rubber mallet.

The longer ferrule suits the proportions of the staff better (I think anyway), the staff balances in the hand better when I swing it while walking, the end can sink much deeper into snow or muck before the wood starts getting wet and stained, with a rubber crutch tip added it has a much wider and more secure gripping surface on city pavement, and lastly the new ferrule adds a handy couple of extra inches to the staff's height. Overall, a definite improvement. Thank you.

Well, I'm very happy that I've been of some help with your walking staff/stick.

Sort of a nice Xmas bonus as I'm actually quite pleased reading all of the above: I might be a little " over-mushy " about it after drinking a late night Black Russian ...... Wink Big Grin Cool

The carbon steel butts do need regular maintenance with at least a quick wipe with gun oil after taking it out in wet weather, Renaissance Wax wiped on the steel just before outdoor use is also helpful, and if rust is sanded off before it causes deep pitting the surface can be kept bright and rust free.

I do add some epoxy before " pounding " the butt onto the end of a stick or staff: One shouldn't overdo the pounding with great force as it's possible for the weld seam to crack open if one pounds the end of the staff very hard on a cement floor: This has never been a problem in use, and if one has also use epoxy the socket body grips the shaft very well after curing and less likely to be wedged open if the socket is pushed deeper. ( If the bottom of the stick is in contact with the bottom of the socket this shouldn't be an issue ).

If one wants to remove the butt using a propane torch it is easy to do as the epoxy lets go before the wood gets burned: Obviously the flame is used only on the metal socket and one avoid burning the wood above the socket.

When I want the butt to be even more secure I drill a hole for a nail into the side of the socket, but this does make removing the butt much more difficult.

Good to know about the Canadian suppliers that are also reliable and that can avoid the delays of customs clearance, or an alternate source should Kult of Athena be temporarily out of stock of spear butts: i might try them out eventually, although I tend to be loyal to vendors who have given me great customer service in the past .... sort of " Medieval " of me Laughing Out Loud

And merry Xmas in return.

Oh, if you have pics of your staff you could post them here because my Topic could easily include the works of other hobby makers of sticks if they don't wish to start their own Topic thread: Seeing other people's work would only add value to this Topic I think, and it doesn't interfere with my adding new postings as I continue making sticks. Big Grin Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I started a Topic a while back about making a wooden model to have cast in bronze and that Topic has a lot of information about the start of this latest stick project, so I'm linking to that Topic to not have to duplicate content and pics too much.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

Some pics I will post here as duplicates of the wooden model but will limit to only giving context to the finished stick.

The stick is longer than cane length so I usually hold it below the head unless walking down a steep incline, but I will also mount some of the heads on shorter hafts for proper cane lengths where holding the head of the cane is more comfortable.

The stick with a bronze head is heavier than most would feel comfortable using, but I'm getting used to it, but it is at the very top end of what I consider usable as a walking stick or a cane.

With experience in evaluating how heavy a wooden model might end up being in bronze I think I can design lighter heads in future projects.

I'm also very pleased with the collaboration having the heads cast in bronze using Tod's Foundry.

http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/todsfoundry/index.htm

Statistics:

Total weight of assembled stick: 4 lb. 5 oz.

Weight of bronze head alone: 2 lb. 4 oz.

Total length of stick: 43 1/4"

Diameter of haft at the head socket 1 1/4"

Diameter of haft at the steel butt socket: 1 1/16"

POB from top of bronze head: 12" ( The heavy steel spear butt end does help balancing out the weight of the bronze head although it does increase the total weight ).

Cross-section of the haft is octagonal and was made for me by my friend Ken Speed a while back when he sent me some stick haft blanks.

The haft is Ash.

Attachment: 118.91 KB
Stick19 10.JPG
Wooden model early stage.

Attachment: 83.07 KB
Stick19 15.JPG
Finished wooden casting model.

Attachment: 93.59 KB
Stick19 25.JPG
Whole stick.

Attachment: 138.16 KB
Stick19 26.JPG
Close up.

Attachment: 91.13 KB
Stick19 27.JPG
Stick in hand.

Attachment: 89.4 KB
Stick19 28.JPG
In hand side view.

Attachment: 97.08 KB
Stick19 29.JPG
Read view of head bronze feathers.

Attachment: 94.2 KB
Stick19 30.JPG
Top angled view in hand.

Attachment: 268.44 KB
Bronze, pic from Tod not colour corrected. [ Download ]

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more pics showing a group shot of the finished stick, the other bronze heads ( One of the six bronze heads sent to Ken Speed so that he can make his own stick ), and the original wooden model.

Attachment: 131.74 KB
Stick19 31.JPG

Attachment: 102.08 KB
Stick19 32.JPG

Attachment: 117.6 KB
Stick19 33.JPG

Attachment: 136.22 KB
Stick19 35.JPG

Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
A few more pics showing a group shot of the finished stick, the other bronze heads ( One of the six bronze heads sent to Ken Speed so that he can make his own stick ), and the original wooden model.

That is a cool flock of birds you have there Jean! I can imagine this project must feel like a little success story. Nice work by you and Tod. Congratulations!

Sir Dreamin'
Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

That is a cool flock of birds you have there Jean! I can imagine this project must feel like a little success story. Nice work by you and Tod. Congratulations!

Sir Dreamin'
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not only are these heads stunning, but they give the walking stick a weapon profile of a short, bec-de-corbin or long war hammer. The textured feathers would grip the target for impact, and the beak,-- well I don't need to point out the damage that could cause. All the while you've got an elegant, and probably comfortable walking stick. I love it! Well done!
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean - fantastic work on that eagle head. And it works very very well on that simple ash stick.

I thought you might like to know that your topic on cutting the eagle head was one of the main influencers leading me to take up woodcutting as a new hobby! Happy

I also wanted to share a picture of my walking stick, made for me by Maarten Kamphuis of M-Blades. It is solid aluminum alloy (the kind that is used in aerospace applications) with a steel head. A little heavy perhaps, but it should be indestructible. Happy

Attachment: 51.25 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 38.31 KB
[ Download ]

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reinier van Noort wrote:
Jean - fantastic work on that eagle head. And it works very very well on that simple ash stick.

I thought you might like to know that your topic on cutting the eagle head was one of the main influencers leading me to take up woodcutting as a new hobby! Happy

I also wanted to share a picture of my walking stick, made for me by Maarten Kamphuis of M-Blades. It is solid aluminum alloy (the kind that is used in aerospace applications) with a steel head. A little heavy perhaps, but it should be indestructible. Happy

Thank you for the nice compliment.

The other bronze heads will end up mounted probably on different exotic woods as inspiration takes me.

Very nice design for your stick, simple but elegant and the choice of materials I agree would make it near indestructible.
I appreciate seeing other peoples' designs and glad if I had any part in inspiring making your own stick or having it made to your specifications.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not too many pics on this one since it uses another one of the bronze castings of the previous stick, so no point in showing too many different pics of the same things.

I took some pics before giving this stick to a friend, it turned out to be 37" inches and I used it a few days before giving it and it feels great in cane length and holding the handle in the reverse cane grip.

Because most of the weight is in the hand it feel lighter and more lively than the longer version walking stick length.

The 37" worked well for me, but I think I want to make myself another cane length one at 38" as I think I want it just a tiny bit longer.

Using the Hanwei spear butt tip also made the whole cane a bit lighter by 1 lb. and the shorter length gives it a faster pendulum cycle making it feel more lively.

The next one I make for myself will be with a rosewood handle probably but use the Windlass Spear Butts.

I used White Oak for the gifted stick but since the person I intended to give it too expressed the desire to have a dark wood shaft I used a propane torch to blacken the wood: This may be a surface change of colour but it does go fairly deep, so the finish is more than a surface one and unless one takes a deep chunk out of the wood the finish should be durable.

I finished the wood using mostly teak & tung oil although it can be and should be maintained by a wipe on wipe off application of Boiled linseed oil once in a while to maintain the finish or restore it should the stick's finish be dulled by rain when using it outdoors.

The patina on my previous stick is darkening naturally reasonably fast and taking on a dark green colour with tinges of almost blue.

Attachment: 100.37 KB
Stick21 01.JPG
Shorter cane length stick next to the previous one.

Attachment: 88.14 KB
Stick21 02.JPG
Different tip on the new stick, unfortunately the Hanwei spear butt is out of production.

Attachment: 125.21 KB
Stick21 04.JPG
Older bronze taking a dark patina just using it outdoors.

Attachment: 128.39 KB
Stick21 05.JPG
Close up of patina and darker colour.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another of the bronze headed sticks, this time mounted on a rosewood shaft of rectangular cross section with rounded corners tapering to round at the spear butt socket.

The finish/patina on the head was done using heat and the " URINE " soak method and it produced a very dark reddish brown patina.

Since this is again using one of the same bronze castings no point in showing too many pics from various angles.

Attachment: 81.19 KB
Stick22 05.JPG
The whole stick with rosewood shaft.

Attachment: 64.89 KB
Stick22 06.JPG
The usual Windlass spear butt.

Attachment: 106.83 KB
Stick22 04.JPG
Close up of head and shaft.

Attachment: 99.59 KB
Stick22 02.JPG
New stick in the middle showing the dark patina next to the original casting colour.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Walking stickDIY Project
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: