Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ArmArt Riccard Viking Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Thanks, Patrick. I was looking over my projects that are pending with ArmArt, and this sword is actually within their price range for full custom jobs with the extra for a scabbard--still much less than just the sword through A&A (though I'd certainly like to have Chris & Craig take a crack at it--maybe after I twist their arms into a hollow-ground Henry V). I have no doubt that Vince's work is at a whole other level and YES I really like the sword that you attached. However, it is near impossible to beat Mac to the punch where VE is concerned. Wink He's still not taking orders, so I remain patient. I also particularly like the look of this one (and I just noticed how rounded the tip is on this one too):

Vince certainly takes wood as well as steel to a whole new level.

Don't worry about Mac, he's stuck in the Highlands Big Grin

The problem in dealing with people like Vince is that while his work is indeed at a step above it spoils you. You never look at production stuff in the same way again. Consequently your pocket book suffers Eek! I love my Evans pieces and wouldn't sell them for anything.

In regards to the point on your new sword, it isn't an issue of historical accuracy for me. I just don't like it, in fact, I don't like the tip on the sword in that photo either ! Your new sword actually looks a lot like Patrick Bartas work. I wonder if he helped ArmArt with it?
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
In regards to the point on your new sword, it isn't an issue of historical accuracy for me. I just don't like it, in fact, I don't like the tip on the sword in that photo either ! Your new sword actually looks a lot like Patrick Bartas work. I wonder if he helped ArmArt with it?

Yeah, I will typically go for the "sharper" point on a sword too. I don't know about Barta. AFAIK, Richard Kazda made it (at least that's what the pics on the website show). Maybe it's a Czech thing...or maybe there are some examples locally that aided in the decision.

Hey Gus,

The original hilt furniture was actually iron with silver plating on it. The pattern was then scratched through the silver to expose the iron. It is too worn in the pics that I have to tell if it was crooked too... *g*
I don't have a scanner or I'd post a pic.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ArmArt Riccard Viking Sword
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: