Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hernán Cortés 1487-1547 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Hernán Cortés 1487-1547         Reply with quote

I was just recently informed that my bloodline is tied directly to Hernán Cortés of Spain, whom conquered mexico for Spain. I learned earlier that there was intermingling of my bloodline (Spaniard) and Aztec...

Doing some looking on wikipedia, I found that Hernan (aka Hernando) had 20 slaves that were given to him from the indenginous people (Aztec), one of them was Doña Marina, whom bore Hernando's son, whom was the first recorded offspring from the intermingling of Spaniards and the Aztecs.

Dona Marina is also known as La Malinche, whom is currently considered in mexico to be the mother of the new mexicans (not new mexico in the US)

Well... I am intrigued in every aspect of learing all there is about Hernan... to say the least. Does anyone know of any sources of more reliable information about Harnan Cortes, other then what I have read on wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hern%C3%A1n_Cort%C3%A9s

Thanks for any help in this direction of research,

-Christopher V.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Len Parker

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend The Conquest of Mexico by William H. Prescott http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/PreConq.html
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try "Arms and Armor of the Conquistadores" for more material/weapon information. Usually a copy available on ebay.
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Jim S.

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can recommend HERNAN CORTEZ- Letters from Mexico, Translated and edited by Anthony Pagden.

Also, The Discovery and Conquest of Mexico by Bernal Díaz del Castillo. Bernal Díaz lived the last 40+ years of his life here in La Antigua Guatemala where he completed his monumental and very important work. Díaz, while unshaking in his admiration of Cortez, tells much of ¨the other side¨of Cortez in his book.

A pretty nice site dealing with Cortez and the other Conquerors ....

http://garyfelix.tripod.com/~GaryFelix/index1A.htm

http://garyfelix.tripod.com/~GaryFelix/index1.htm

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hernán Cortés 1487-1547
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic