Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German Longsword fencing.. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: German Longsword fencing..         Reply with quote

If you were to use a sharp longsword from the albion sword range [not that I'd fence against someone with a sharp unless it was an end of the earth, apocolips thing!] using German longsword techniques which would you chose? A straight out truster like the Tal Hoffer or a cut and thruster like Earl etc...?

I'd like one that handles good for the style, as I fence with longsword, I'd like a good sharp that would represent the art..
cheers.
Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Primary concern is if you would intend for the weapon to be used for armored fighting or unarmored fighting. For armored you're going to what a sword that is going to perform superbly at thrusting and be rather rigid, in order to be driven through the protection that covers the gaps in the plates or more heavily protected portions of an opponents armor, Oakeshott Type 15a's, 17's, 18b's and 20a's. For unarmed, your options are going to open up a little when it comes to design focus. I'd suggest a sword that would perform as equally at thrusting as well as striking. Oakeshott Type 12a's, 13a's, 16a's, 18a's and c's, and 20's, would all perform rather well against an unarmored opponent, with the a wide variety techniques available in the Liechtenauer toolbox. But remember, there is no one sword design, from any culture, that can function perfectly in every context, hence why there are many different designs the world over. So, really try to figure-out what role you would want your sword to perform in. [/code]
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey cheers yea I forgot about armoured/unarmoured, would be unarmoured blossfechten, come to think about it lately most of my 'killing' blows have been thrusts, but then you never know when you have hew off a few arms and legs!
If I put it this way as I use an Albion Liechtenauer, I suppoes I am more in clined to have a sharp thats simular..
Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If that's the case, I think Albion has recommendations for which of their sharp swords would be similar to their Liechtenauer, at least on the USA website. If the Albion sharps are out of your price-range, you could at least use it as a guide something else that may interest you.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German Longsword fencing..
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic