Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reconquista help and literature Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reconquista help and literature         Reply with quote

Hello! What books would you people recommend for a research about reconquista? I would also like to start a discussion here since there are so many knowledgeable people here. I am interested in all aspects of it, difference in mentality between iberian and outremer crusades, culture and war equipment and tactics of different kingdoms in Iberia during reconquista, change in culture from typical migration era germanic to what we know now as "spanish"... So, everything basically. Wink Graphic material showing arms and armor would also be great. Just don't recommend Osprey publishing, I don't really take them as accurate enough for a true research...
José-Manuel Benito

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

There are many ways to deal with the enormous issue of the Reconquista. There are 800 years, with constant changes. Spain, as idea, did not exist then (there were many kingdoms, Christians and Muslims, and each has its peculiarities).

Also, there are many phenomena to be studied, such the Way of St. James, the Military Orders, the evolution of weaponry, the "Repopulation" of conquered lands, the power of the Church, the power of the nobility, the power of the monarchy, and the civil power of free villes that have "fueros" that granted its freedom against feudalism ..., for instance.

There are some historical characters of vital importance: Tarik, the first invader, Abd al-Rahman I, the founder of the Umayyad Emirate of Córdoba, Al-Mansur, the last invincible general of muslims, El Cid, Eleanor of England, queen of Castile, James I of Aragon, named "the conqueror", The King Wolf of Murcia, and so on…

Islam invaded not once but many times the Iberian peninsula, sometimes to help their brethren, sometimes to conquer and subdue them. In the other side, the Christians fought against other Christians, sometimes in defense of Muslim kingdoms. There are not a sentiment of crusade all the time.

If you notify us that specific aspects, or what stage you may be interested, maybe we can help.

Regards

Ecce, iam meum patrem video
Ecce, iam meam matrem video
Ecce, iam meas sorores ac meos fratres video
Ecce, iam meam gentem totam ab initio video
Ecce illi me iam vocant
Et illi me rogant meum locum inter se accipere
Apud Averni portas sunt
Ubi viri fortes æterne vivant
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I already do know much of this, I was researching reconquista on the internet for some years now, especially El Cid and later battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, so I got basics covered, but internet is limited for a quality research. I guess questions I would like to clear out first are these:
1. When germanic language of gothic immigrants changed and got romanized?
2. Differences in equipment and tactics between Iberian christians and the rest of continental europe, difference in sword hilt types, popular blade types etc...
3. Average type of warfare. Was it a series of attacks and counter attacks, raids and skirmishes with few big battles or was it more like longer periods of piece broken by sudden determined invasions? I thought it is more like constant border warfare, skirmishes and raids with a few bigger planned invasions by both sides leading to great battles like Las Navas de Tolosa...

And the period I'm MOST interested in is 11th to 14th century, the time of christian counter attacks... But period immediately after the Muslim invasion reached its peak and christians got their first victories is also important to me.

Of course for better understanding of politics and chronology between different kingdoms during such a long period of time I should read a good detailed book... I'm open to suggestions which book that should be...
Michael Harley

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Luka,

For getting a feel for the unfolding of the pageant of history, I would have to recommend 'The New Penguin Atlas of Medieval History' by Colin McEvedy, ISBN 0-14-051249-7. Covering from the fourth to the fourteenth century, the book takes a standard map of Europe, the Near East and North Africa, and shows the shifting patterns and ebbs and flows of peoples, kingdoms and empires in chronological increments of roughly thirty to forty years with accompanying commentaries for each map.

Very general, but an invaluable resource none the less, and one of those books you can just open anywhere and start reading whenever you have some time to kill.

Cheers,
Michael.

Attachment: 240.93 KB
Sample-page.gif
Sample page
José-Manuel Benito

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe you can take a look at the Spanish journal, Gladius (doi:10.3989/gladius).

Quote:
Gladius publishes scientific contributions about the following topics: Weaponry from Prehistory to the late eighteenth century, Polemology, History of the war in Europe, the American colonial world, and Islam. It also contains a special section for the scientific discussion and reviews.

POWERS, James F.: A Society Organized for War: The Iberian Municipal Militas in the Central Middle Ages, 1000-1284. Berkeley : University of California Press, ©1987. Is a classic…

In October 1992 took place, at Los Angeles, the Colloquium about Proceedings from "Spain and the western Mediterranean". It was sponsored by The Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, University of California. Related to this we have this book edited by Paul E. CHEVEDDEN, Donald J. KAGAY and P. G. PADILLA.: Iberia and the Mediterranean World of the Middle Ages.

Although, David Nicolle is very known, I cite his work «Arms of the Umayyad Era: Military Technology in a Time of Changes» in War and Society in the Eastern Mediterranean, 7th~15th Centuries, Leiden-New York-Köln, 1997.

Ada Bruhn de Hoffmeyer is, also, well known in this forum: Hoffmeyer Historical Institute. References.

And some slinks:
Out of Many, One?: the voice(s) in the crusade ideology of Las Navas de Tolosa
The Papacy, the Spanish Kingdoms and Las Navas de Tolosa

Regards

Ecce, iam meum patrem video
Ecce, iam meam matrem video
Ecce, iam meas sorores ac meos fratres video
Ecce, iam meam gentem totam ab initio video
Ecce illi me iam vocant
Et illi me rogant meum locum inter se accipere
Apud Averni portas sunt
Ubi viri fortes æterne vivant