Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 17th century cut and thrust swords typology? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lewis Ballard

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: 17th century cut and thrust swords typology?         Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

While I have an interest in most things sharp and pointy, I have, I believe, finally narrowed down my main areas of interest when it comes to swords. One of my great interests, which is NOT the subject of this post, is the saber and its evolution, development and geographic dispersal, and the other is 17th century cut and thrust swords.

There is simply too much history, and too much literature, wrapped up in the 17th century military sword, for me to remain indifferent to it. The Three Musketeers, Henryk Sienkowicz' trilogy, the Thirty Years War, the English Civil War(s), Jamestown---in sum, it's what fascinates me.

I was wondering if anyone could spare a few words here to describe a typical military cut and thrust sword blade from the 17th century, or advise me as to a resource. (Glenn C's comments about the benefits of a well stocked library have been taken to heart.)

My initial impressions are that there were backswords and broadswords in both foot and horse versions, with infantry swords being approximately 30" and cavalry swords 34-36" in length, frequently albeit not always with a fairly short (1/3 of blade length) fuller, but I am woefully uninformed as to the blade geometry. Was it hexagonal, as in the Type XIX?

Nathan Robinson's article on the Schiavona and its influences is fascinating, but limits itself to a discussion of hilt styles, and I have drooled mightily over Roger Hooper's custom 17th century military sword and Walloon swords.

I thank you in advance for any information you may be able to contribute.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 17th century cut and thrust swords typology?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic