Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The effect of a cross-section on cutting. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

An ideal super duper sword would have a good deal of mass behind the cutting edge, be stiff as a board, be thin enough to easily pass through the target and have a nice sharp edge.

This sounds like an XVIIIc to me.

Rapid termination of the cutting edge (less than 1mm) would allow for relatively good mass behind the cutting edge.

4-5mm spine at the guard makes it thin.

Diamond cross section and width of 75+ mm at the base should make it stiff.

Nice and wide so the acute angle of main blade bevel should minimise drag.

Bring on the Albion Alexandria I say.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A worthy topic indeed!

In my experience a hollow ground sword is by far the best cutter for soft targets (i.e. tatami) and is also the highest stiffness for weight ratio. I believe it's because for the same cut separation resistance force it reaches deeper into the target than a flat ground blade. Reaching the ridge may also open the cut material for less resistive cutting while there is little or no drag in the hollow. Same as when you cut thick leather or linoleum floor matting. You cut, get stuck in the gap with the blade and bend open the cut to reach the bottom and then you can cut the rest with ease.

For thick meat and bone or better yet armoured surfaces, I'd probably go with the diamond or hexagonal even for a stout blade that won't snap easily and can deliver a very heavy blow.

So both extremes would have their uses, well all this has already been said really. Wink

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
with regards to the disagreement (obviously friendly) between Chad and Michael, I would like to weigh in and say you are both right. As someone with a background in philosphy and hermeneutics (though not spelling...) I would say that it is indeed usually worth the extra words to increase precision, but in this particular case Michael said Type XVa are stiff" not "XVa's are stiff", meaning that his statement should most properly be interpreted as discussing the "type" not "examples of the type. This may seem like a very, very small distinction, but because swords are representitives of a type to the extent they match what is "typical" of that type, such a statement can be considered to include they qualifyer as a given. [/b]

Nat,
Two things:

1) The fact that there have been posts by both you and me debating what Michael meant indicates there is room for debate: i.e. he could have been more clear. Happy

2) Oakeshott's definition for the type is intentionally vague, as it is for most of his types. Recognizing the extreme variety found in medieval swords, he chose to not define Type XV (or even an average example) with the words Michael used. His definitions are typically based on silhouette and the most general comments on cross-section, which applies here. In this case, he simply says XVs have a flattened diamond section. He doesn't say how much flattening of the diamond is typical. Michael's description fits some of the swords of the type, but there is nothing in Oakeshott's definition of the type that indicates that the type of sword Michael is describing is "typical" or not. So we can't easily define the extent to which they match what is "'typical' for that type."

Michael,
You can see the extent to which folks like Nat and me can and will parse words. Happy So why not add a scant few words for clarity so we can stay focused on the real discussion? Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

Another concern along these lines is the divide between how reproduction swords have represented the Oakeshott typology, and the reality of the extant pieces.

For instance, we've 'stereotyped' type XII/XIIIa's as being quite flexible, but they weren't all like that. I've handled ones ones in museums and private collections that were all but inflexible tanks, despite their appearance at a distance. The same can be said of our (modern) ideals regarding balance points - some extant medieval swords defy such sensibilities and are tip weighted in the extreme. Clearly, personal preferences varied wildly.

I've handled several pieces in the last few years that were familiar to me from books for decades. Some of them really surprised me in how they handled.

Generalities are useful, of course, particularly in giving the potential buyer at least a rough idea of what they're in for. But we should be careful in not confusing the modern reproduction (some of which hit the mark, others which do not, despite overall quality) with how a historic sword type necessarily performed.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Another concern along these lines is the divide between how reproduction swords have represented the Oakeshott typology, and the reality of the extant pieces.

Exactly my point, Christian, though you said it better. : ) I know Michael has a lot of experience with Albion's swords, especially XVas, though I know he's worked with the Duke and other heavy cutters, too. But that doesn't mean those examples from Albion are entirely reflective of entire classes of swords and/or their reproductions. So, the use of a few wiggle/qualifying words goes a long way toward avoiding confusion.

Happy

ChadA

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

Yes, and I suspect personal preference, and even body type, were really important concerns.

A big, powerful guy looking for a good battlefield sidearm might, in the 15th c., want a heavier sword for sheer "knock down power", given the huge number of soldiers with substantial body armours on the average battlefield: "I want it to cut some, but I want hardiness and power to take some archer in sallet and breastplate off his feet".

An interesting thing about all this: it's likely impossible to lucratively reproduce some medieval swords simply because they "would be wrong" to today's sword buyer, calibrated on a certain kind of handling. One of the heavier type XI's I've handled would be very hard to sell, if reproduced accurately, in our market - 'experts' would be complaining how "the balance is all wrong..." Wink

Yours,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An interesting thing about all this: it's likely impossible to lucratively reproduce some medieval swords simply because they "would be wrong" to today's sword buyer, calibrated on a certain kind of handling. One of the heavier type XI's I've handled would be very hard to sell, if reproduced accurately, in our market - 'experts' would be complaining how "the balance is all wrong..." Wink

Absolutely. I was examining a period sword alongside a maker and they remarked that they couldn't sell a repro of that sword in today's market. It was a cutting-oriented sword and was extremely thin in the tip. But that's how it was made hundreds of years ago. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Absolutely. I was examining a period sword alongside a maker and they remarked that they couldn't sell a repro of that sword in today's market. It was a cutting-oriented sword and was extremely thin in the tip. But that's how it was made hundreds of years ago. Happy

Different expectations about handling or much stronger wrists of someone trained since childhood wanting a heavy sword capable of not only cutting but bludgeoning a foe into submission or into pulp !

Fighting style and use of shield for most of the defence also influencing choices.

Since my recent purchases of very thin blades Pikula swords I have a new appreciation of that extreme and their very wide and thin blades make them scary cutters but I still like in contrast very much more massive swords like my Albion Tritonia that can not only cut but would really ruin the day of someone solidly hit on maille armour even if no cutting occurred.

I used to perceive the Tritonia as having being very thin sword near the tip but still a very heavy presence sword but compared to the Pikula " Lost Oakeshott XIIIb " it looks very thick in that part of the blade in comparison, and the Pikula sword is a much faster sword and still stiff enough with it's extremely wide edge in the foible to be a scary cutter.

So one could say that Michael made and sold one of those hard to sell to a modern collector extreme sword type

Cutting is very important for a sword but not it's only desirable qualities: Some cutting ability can be sacrificed to usable heavy presence for blunt trauma applications. Weapon design is always a compromise in either making very specialized swords optimized for one purpose and the contrary compromises of making swords that are not the best at anything but jacks of all trades good enough for all the ways a sword can be used.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A big, powerful guy looking for a good battlefield sidearm might, in the 15th c., want a heavier sword for sheer "knock down power", given the huge number of soldiers with substantial body armours on the average battlefield: "I want it to cut some, but I want hardiness and power to take some archer in sallet and breastplate off his feet".

Hello Christian,

I've handled swords like that, both reproductions and originals, so they were certainly around. I think the Svante actually falls into that cattegory. It feels like it would pack a whallop and it's not exactly the best cutter.

However, if you take any good production sword, like an Albion, then I'd bed there were hundreds of swords made either almost like that or exactly like that. Maybe (probably?) there were more made of that type that were not at all like that, but I think you get my point, which is that swords like those certainly existed even if they were not typical representations. I trust Peter Johnsson implicitly in that regard. Now that I have met him and spent some time talking to him, I truly understand (or at least can glimpse) the depth of his knowledge. It's mind blowing. I love that man.

I find it more useful, when discussing cutting ability, to talk about reproduction swords than originals. If you consider the above point, then their performance is certainly relevant even if it is not definitive. More to the point, since we today can really only cut with reproductions, all we can do when it comes to the cutting ability of antiques is speculate. Unless we're crazy enough to buy some and cut with them. So we have to rely on the testable performance of quality reproductions to form any meaningful conclusions.

But the points you raised are all ones I agree with. btw...there is a very blade heavy sword on the market that feels like an absolute brick on a stick...the Albion St. Maurice of Turin sword. I too have handled quite a few antiques that have those qualities (some even more so), so I greatly apprecaite that sword.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some very good points have been made in this thread.

Cutting performance cannot be defined by cross section alone. Any attempt to simplify the situation so that this is the deciding factor will create misunderstandings.
Cutting power alone is not the best way to define the effectiveness of a sword. A better cutter may not be a better sword. Seems like a paradox, but I think it is true all the same.
If we set up strict rules for what is a good sword to moderns standards, we will fail to develop a good understanding of what swords were like and how they were used. We may miss what really comes together in a good sword.

One thing that is often ignored or misunderstood is that the typologies we use to describe swords are developed to define *historical* swords, not modern ones.

Typologies are not design concepts you can base modern designs of swords on. They fail to define many crucial aspects a maker needs to know to be able to make a sword of the type. They cannot really be used to define a modern sword (unless it is carefully made after the example of original swords).

A modern sword may incorporate some characteristics that are listed in the definition of a historical type, but that does not make it a representative of this historical type of swords. Oakeshott was not a designer of swords. He never intended his typology to be a complete description of the swords. It s a guide for us to learn about historical weapons. That is all. A maker of swords need to study the real thing to learn what makes swords into what they are.

For a sword smith, the typology of Oakeshott may serve as an inspiration, but it cannot serve as a blueprint. A contemporary maker has to study historical swords if his work is to express any of the qualities of traditional weapons.

Too often we see the qualities of Strongest, Sharpest or Best Cutter being propagated. "Best Balance" seems to be understood as an absolute thing that can be measured on a scale.
In reality, these things must be seen in a context. To hit your enemy first or hardest is often more important than how deep or clean your cut might be. Sometimes acute sharpness and a very fine edge will give you a fighting chance of survival. This is why there are so many different types of swords. They all work. But differently. By intention, not mistake. There is a variation of quality in historical swords, that is true. But very few of modern made swords can live up to the reality and quality of ancient ones. Those swords were made by people who had an understanding on what matters in a way that is difficult for us today to grasp.

We often get trapped by neat definitions.
We want clean cuts.
I like clean cuts.
But there are other things worth to consider that makes the sword *really* interesting.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, that's not just all true and humbling to us modern day sword enthusiasts but almost poetic the way you phrase it.
"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter!

It's always a pleasure to see a post from you...it seems a million years ago when I met you at WMAW!

In applauding your sentiments, I'll say there's a tendency in our area of interest (or any specialized interest) to 'fetishize' certain aspects, whether that be cutting, stoutness of the blade, or balance.

I've actually seen self-appointed experts, balancing the forte on their finger, declare that a really up-scale reproduction is "poorly balanced...it should balance X inches from the hilt..." But then, these sorts of things become sub-cultural tropes, don't they?

As for typology, I think what happens is that we end up with a high-quality (and accurate) reproduction of a member of a given type, which is then used by the general populace as evidence that they all must've handled that way. It's an understandable, though unfortunate, mistake.

Yours,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As for typology, I think what happens is that we end up with a high-quality (and accurate) reproduction of a member of a given type, which is then used by the general populace as evidence that they all must've handled that way. It's an understandable, though unfortunate, mistake.

There really isn't much of an alternative, though, is there? You can dry handle thousands of antiques but if you want to understand the performance of a sword you really have to use it. That means cut with swords that are designed to cut, thrust with swords that are designed to thrust, knock an armored guy off his feet with a sword designed to knock an armored guy off his feet.

I don't know too many collectors willing to let us do that.

Ok, I don't know any. Happy

Albion's museum line swords are unique opportunity to actually use swords that are like the originals, but even that does not address the above concern, because there are so few of them.

Peter, there's no way around it. You're just going to have to make more. A lot more. And send them all to me for testing. I may even send some of them back. Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

High-end reproduction swords are closer to select historic swords, but often still involve compromises: CNC fabrication vs. forging, for instance. These differences may create little distinction, but in any scientific analysis "things that are not the same are different".

But on the whole, they're what most people can hope to have access to for testing.

There are rare collectors who test or have allowed some of their pieces to be tested: Lee Jones let us test out his spectacular 16th century bill, for instance. But this is the rare exception. And of course, even if this were more generally available, it raises other issues: is the edge original or has it been re-sharpened, perhaps in a way not reflective of its original edge?

Circling back, the take home message is this: don't assume that the Oakeshott typology fully defines the handling/cutting/thrusting dynamics of any of its defined types. That's more than can reasonably be expected of it, and far more than Mr. Oakeshott promised.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The effect of a cross-section on cutting.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: