Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Semi custom A&A English Bill.Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:

if the top surface of the bill was sharpened as well, even a thrust with the top spike that misses the neck or arms will still cause a slicing wound as the sharpened surface of the bill contacts the target. and of course being a sickle, you can then orint the sickle to slice when pulling the head back to the ready position.

A valid option but in that case the bevel on the top of the curve of the sickle part should be sharp but more obtuse and robust than the finer edge on the inside of the curved part in my opinion if I was designing it that way.

On the other hand even if this curved surface isn't sharpened the top spike is sharpened over most of it's length on both sides so that once in hard contact with a vulnerable body part, the throat for example, a sideways pull or draw cut would cause major damage.

So even if all surfaces are not sharpened it would be difficult to escape without a cut or a stab from any hard contact: I think that sharpening every possible part of the Bill would have only minimal advantages.

Oh, a strong thrust to an unprotected neck with the unsharpened curved part would likely crush the windpipe ...... dead is dead after all. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
William P

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
William P wrote:

if the top surface of the bill was sharpened as well, even a thrust with the top spike that misses the neck or arms will still cause a slicing wound as the sharpened surface of the bill contacts the target. and of course being a sickle, you can then orint the sickle to slice when pulling the head back to the ready position.

A valid option but in that case the bevel on the top of the curve of the sickle part should be sharp but more obtuse and robust than the finer edge on the inside of the curved part in my opinion if I was designing it that way.

On the other hand even if this curved surface isn't sharpened the top spike is sharpened over most of it's length on both sides so that once in hard contact with a vulnerable body part, the throat for example, a sideways pull or draw cut would cause major damage.

So even if all surfaces are not sharpened it would be difficult to escape without a cut or a stab from any hard contact: I think that sharpening every possible part of the Bill would have only minimal advantages.

Oh, a strong thrust to an unprotected neck with the unsharpened curved part would likely crush the windpipe ...... dead is dead after all. Wink Laughing Out Loud

oh yeah... hadnt thought of that...

by the way, have you had abetter chance to test the sharpness of the edge??
you need to take it to those 'cutting parties'that people have and try it out there, when you get the chance of course.
and i get the feeling a few people might be willing to lend you their backyards. who would say no so a man wholding THAT
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah - a bill! Wonderful, there seldom is a weapon that is so down to earth regarding its intention as the bill.
No frills, no fuzz, no misunderstandings.

I love it!

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:

by the way, have you had abetter chance to test the sharpness of the edge??
you need to take it to those 'cutting parties'that people have and try it out there, when you get the chance of course.
and i get the feeling a few people might be willing to lend you their backyards. who would say no so a man wholding THAT

Not really had a chance to try it outside against something challenging, but if I run my thumb nail along the main curved edge the edge bites into the nail and this means at least paper cutting sharp to almost hair popping sharp.

The only thing that testing would proves is if one has good technique and how robust to damage are the edges if the target is fairly hard.

Ideally one should test for wide angle great whacking strokes and also more subtle stabs and draw cuts done with very tactically sound minimal motion.

Simulating a behind the knee puling cut for example would be educational and probably scary in it's effect. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Semi custom A&A English Bill.Product Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: