Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tales of the Vikings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Tales of the Vikings         Reply with quote

In 1959 there was a 30 minute show on TV called' "Tales of the Vikings". I remember watching it as a child, but it was short lived. It can be googled if anyone cares too.There is a fair amount of detail there about the show. As I recall, this show is where I come to know how a "real viking" looked and acted.
In those days Richard Green was Robin Hood, and Leslie Nelson was Swamp Fox.

The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales of the Vikings         Reply with quote

D. Phillip Caron wrote:
In 1959 there was a 30 minute show on TV called' "Tales of the Vikings". I remember watching it as a child, but it was short lived. It can be googled if anyone cares too.There is a fair amount of detail there about the show. As I recall, this show is where I come to know how a "real viking" looked and acted.
In those days Richard Green was Robin Hood, and Leslie Nelson was Swamp Fox.

I remember this series as a fond childhood memory, saw it in French in Québec and never knew or remembered it's origin or makers: Interesting to learn that it was filmed in Toronto Canada and to save money a lot of stock shots form the Kirk Douglas movie where recycled for the T.V. program.

This was a long long time ago but it seemed to have some good stories and at the time as a little kid I was probably disappointed by the lack of " Horned helmets " not realizing that the program was at least better historically than I knew at the time or remember now !

I only remember small fragments of the stories but each episode seemed focused on some aspect of Viking culture, like the status of slaves in Viking society and that they did have some minimal rights that the owners had to respect. ( Well, it was a long time ago, and I could be remembering one of the plots lines incorrectly. Wink )

I think I also remember one of the cast members being a giant using a very large and heavy wooden club as his weapon of choice and calling it " Matilda ", or another female name ? I'm reaching way down into memories when I was 10 years old in 1960.

I do remember being fascinated by he stories and liking the T.V. series a great deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZhRZxvfl3Q

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am glad that it brought back some good memories. I remember the fellow with the club too. I did get "pinged" for posting it tho. Not being a sword matter it should not have been posted, but it was done in a kindly manner. I shall reframe from such postings in the future.
The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tales of the Vikings
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic