Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Drunk Knights Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the idea of a weak ale drank consistently....

I for one drink Guinness Foreign Extra - A strong Ale. Consider all of the light beers of today, people drink that at bars and at home for hours and they don't get drunk until they have drank enough of it. If I drank Guinness for two straight hours, lol, I would be wasted beyond my dreams. But, if I drank Light Beers all day long, I would get tipsy at best. And then into the evening I would consume a bit more then normal and get pretty drunk by the end of the night.

so while a tolerance is built up, the inherent over the limit and people could get as drunk as they wanted.

thats my idea any ways,

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: DUI defense?         Reply with quote

Hello Christopher,
Hope you had a great time verifying your alcohol consumption theory over the Holiday period, I did...
But more seriously, your beer of choice is a 7.5%, and most of your american lights ( Coors, miller and whatever else we see on TV at football games) are all about 4%. So if you swill down two lights in the same time that you enjoy a good 7.5% stout, your alcohol intake is roughly the same, so it comes down to personal preferences and rate of consumption.
Personal subjective perceptions ( Believe Me Judge, I know when I'm drunk and I wasn't. You see Judge, I'm big boned and have years of practice...'') don't add up to much when measuring whether a person is under the influence or not.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Personal subjective perceptions ( Believe Me Judge, I know when I'm drunk and I wasn't. You see Judge, I'm big boned and have years of practice...'') don't add up to much when measuring whether a person is under the influence or not.

SIze, or more exaclty weight (I believe muscle mass is the most important factor) WILL have a bearing on how high one's BAC is, it takes less to get a smaller person drunk.

As to "tolerance" - One may be just as "drunk" by legal or BAC standards, however one with more tolerance will function better or more efficiently than one with less tolerance. Of course, it is not a legal defense. Though one with more tolerance would likley be less prone to do things that would attract the attention of the authorities to begin with.
Christopher VaughnStrever

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Then I vote we have small to big guys with varying tolerance and we perform a review of how all the subjects had to perform one test of longsword techniques sober, and then a second test of the same material when they are intoxicated. I will volunteer my time and money for this as long as we can get it on video.
Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary n wrote:
[

As to "tolerance" - One may be just as "drunk" by legal or BAC standards, however one with more tolerance will function better or more efficiently than one with less tolerance. Of course, it is not a legal defence. Though one with more tolerance would likely be less prone to do things that would attract the attention of the authorities to begin with.

Seems to depend on all sorts of variables as I have felt somewhat unsteady after just one beer when tired or on an empty stomach and at another time ( I rarely do this by the way ) having 4 or 5 black Russians over an evening and not feeling particularly impaired. WTF?!

Oh, took a taxi home by the way.

Not sure if my coordination would have been optimum with a longsword bur walking and not falling down didn't seem to be a problem or saying stupid things, or being more garrulous or aggressive i.e. very little influence on my normal behaviour, if anything feeling a bit impaired makes me overcompensate and think twice before I act or say anything " studpid ".

But I also wouldn't operate power tools even if I felt or believed I felt fine. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I vote we have small to big guys with varying tolerance and we perform a review of how all the subjects had to perform one test of longsword techniques sober, and then a second test of the same material when they are intoxicated. I will volunteer my time and money for this as long as we can get it on video.

Other things factor in as well. As Jean points out, fatigue, full or empty stomach also factor in.

The other thing - small or big from what I understand has not as much to do with it as body mass. Take two people who weigh 200 lbs., one is 10% body fat, the other 30% body fat - it should be tougher to for the 10% body fat one to get drunk.

And there is also of course metabolism, that effects not the initial "getting drunk", but effects how fast the body gets rid of the alcohol that has been imbibed. and those with less body fat usually have higher metabolism, as do those who are younger.

So take a 240 pound guy with 30% body fat compared to a 180 pounder with 10% body fat - the 240 pounder might be a hair slower to get drunk, but the 180 pounder probably has a fair amount higher metabolism, and therefore they both might be "equally drunk" after a 5 pack over 2-3 hours.
James Anderson III

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Drunk Knights         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
what if a knight was drunk and all the sudden war was instantly upon him.

I think it would be rather rare that "war would be instantly upon someone". The exception being a "sneak attack", but to not hear the thunder of approaching horses or the screams of people in combat as enemies approach, would seem to be a rare occurrence. In such an unprepared circumstance, a knight would be unarmored and very likely denied the luxury of having his squire prepare him for battle. I think the first concern would be lack of armor and potentially unarmed; this makes for a soft, squishy target for enemies - whether drunk, sober, or anywhere in-between.

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
Knowing that knights caused alot of disruptive violence... it does sound alot like a bunch of drunk guys with swords and pole axes,

Why do you say that knights caused a lot of disruptive violence? To say that knights were "a bunch of drunk guys with swords and pole axes" is painting with a rather broad brush; and rather contrary to the mental acuity and skill we know is needed for skilled combat based on the surviving fechtbuchs we've seen. Knights were also not in a bubble; conflicts were not always started, carried out, and concluded with just knights - there are squires, men at arms, archers, and others in the common retinue of soldiers - and much of the "disruptive violence" would be at the command of a king or other figurehead of authority, and not some "hey let's raid that town" on a whim. To say the knights are the cause is not accurate, IMO.

In regards to knights drinking heavily because they had to kill people, I think that's culturally influenced by what we see (and generally accept) in the US as "normal" soldier behavior. As was said in The Last Samurai:

Katsumoto: You have nightmares?
Nathan Algren: Every soldier has nightmares.
Katsumoto: Only one who is ashamed of what he has done.

In short, to be drunk or at less than optimal fighting condition when facing battle, where it is literally your life at stake should you falter, it would be a foolhardy choice to do anything to cause oneself impairment of any kind -unless one had a desire to be killed - and that would be the likely outcome.

Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Knight, Order of the Marshal
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a topic here on William Marshal. It touches on the night life activities of some of these Knightly Gentlemen. It is well worth watching on its own merit. In light of recent comments here it might be worth watching for that alone.
The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.
Stephen Renico

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From the books I've read on the Crusades and the Siege of Malta, I always had the impression that knights/soldiers didn't drink plain water often (perhaps out of fear of contamination), but drank watered wine, instead. I can only think of fighting all day, losing moisture by sweating in armor in the Levantine desert, and then (ahem) rehydrating with wine.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were proven that most of western civilization was built by men in their cups.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." -Thucydides.
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is now being said that civilization was started to provide a steady supply of grain for making beer. Then soldier types to protect it.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Who is saying that? I'd love some more info on this. Early civilizations were founded upon grain and its uses because it was a dependable (as far as anything was then) food source that enabled a surplus instead of just getting by or starving not to make beer, which comes later on all accounts than its staple uses. That said they seem to figure brewing out early and we see it tie into much of their society but that it was formed for this and soldiers to protect it seems a bit far flung, maybe not as far as aliens building the pyramids but since the dates don't line up highly unlikely. I am interested in if who ever is saying it is reputable as it will only be months before I hear it from one of my students and I like to be prepared.

I personally think civilization was created to provide us with taxes

RPM

Last edited by Randall Moffett on Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I could spell "archaeologist" I could answer the question.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's been around for many years. Solomon Katz was pushing this idea at least a decade ago. Other people who've written on this are Mary Voigt and Patrick McGovern. McGovern's "Uncorking the Past" is a good modern popular book which does mention this, especially in relation to maize domestication. Specifically, maize was domesticated long before it was used for grain - the original use being the sweet juice, for fermentation.

There are variants for the domestication and exploitation of wheat and barley. Some propose that domestication and agriculture was to provide a sufficient supply for brewing (after using wild grains for food and brewing), others that exploitation of wild grains was also for brewing, with significant use as non-beer food coming later.

The earliest stuff on this that I know of is:

Braidwood, R. J., Sauer, J.D., Helbaek, H., Mangelsdorf, P.C., Cutler, H.C., Coon, C.S., Linton, R., Steward J. & Oppenheim, A.L., 1953, Symposium: did man once live by beer alone? American Anthropologist 55: 515-26.

Katz, S. H. & Voigt, M. M., 1986, Bread and beer: the early use of cereals in the human diet, Expedition 28:23-34.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo,

Interesting and odd but funny at the same time. I have to say that I have never heard any one seriously say civilizations were created for stable brewing.... that said I have a hard time thinking it is correct either but should look at their articles first. Though to be fair the last ten years I have largely been studying medieval Europe so things like this are easy to miss under the radar. Far before the first civilizations were formed man was eating wild grains. Once they can raise and harvest their own grains for stable food it allows more or less everything needed for civilization. Seems to suit Occams razor and better we have strong evidence for the status quo on civilization.

And as for needing soldiers..... some of the earliest finds we have of man show violence between man was occurring. Seems they needed soldiers likely to stay alive.

That said people say lots of things. I'll have to hit the articles and take a look what evidence they are using.

Thanks for the article info Timo!

RPM
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing in relation to the use of grains for alcohol that suprised me - based on estimations of how much ale was drunk by the general poplace, ale or other beverages provided around 10-15% of the caloric needs of a family per day.

The only negative here - it seems as though roughly about 40% of the caloric content of barley for instance is extracted and transferred to the ale - in other words it takes about 2.5 bushels of barley to make a "bushels worth" of calories for ale.

Rather inefficient it seems for a not overly efficient agrarian economy to begin with. However, the "spent" grain still had uses, livestock feed was one common use.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a documentary on netflix titled "How Beer Saved the World"

Liner notes:

"Did you know that beer was critical to the birth of civilization? That's right -- beer. Scientists and historians line up to tell the amazing, untold story of how beer helped create maths, poetry, Pyramids, modern medicine, labor laws and America."

I haven't seen it yet, but it might have some information pertinent to the discussion.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Ted Kokx

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

when you think about it beer was the primary drink of earlier cultures and on into the middle ages as alot of the water was not fit to drink, even children drank beer and ale and workers were paid in ale at times in some cultures. beer and ale were also one of the most common ways to get grain into your diet for it was easier to store beer for long periods than it was grain or bread.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
beer and ale were also one of the most common ways to get grain into your diet for it was easier to store beer for long periods than it was grain or bread.

Ale actually had a very short shelf life, beer was better but grain had a better shelf life than either. In europe at least, ale was the most common drink through much of the middle ages, not having the hops that gave beer a longer shelf life.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Drunk Knights
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: