myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knights of mayhem- your opinion? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, now I mus brake a lance for my sport! Big Grin

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:

Ah yes, B.O.N., go figure Eastern Europe can get something like that up and running. I would add a nice layer to a full tourny I guess, sort of like hockey. But is B.O.N. a "sport"? I dunno, but if people watch it, pay for it, and it has some form of rule set (even as odd as BON [no thrusting... Really? That eliminates most Martial Art applications right there]). After all, one wouldn't think Chess is a sport, but it can be.

Full contact sword fighting - in the eastern european fashion, as we used to say - is certainly a sport.. Not only because there are probably over 200 tournaments in Russia alone, and as much in Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania and Belarus together.
Also the very fact that you criticized, the regulation of allowed techniques, is a basic concept of sport.

In a match, boxers don't kick you in the nuts, yudokas don't punch you in the face, foilfencers don't thrust to the leg or arm, WMA-Blossfechter don't hit you full force on the head and we full-contact-and-armour-fighters don't thrust at you. Big Grin

nonetheless, it's really exhausting to fight. Two minutes or three times one and a half minute with only minimal pauses, and this only for one opponent.

William P wrote:
when my club heard of the battle of nations, which by the way we had been repeatedly invited to form a team and join, we flat out refused for a couple of reasons
1 those guys fight like madmen and we dont know their fighting style so we cant fight as safely.
2. too far away.

William, don't fear what you don't know. As mentioned above, rules do exist and are enforced. I do like my handsome face and the health I enjoy now as much as you do, yet I practice this sport enthusiastically. The BoN-Tournament is one of the most prestigious and one of the hardest, also one where the best fighters of russia Belarus Ukraine Poland and Lithuania (the lithuanian national teem is btw sponsored by the lithuanian armed forces!) meet each other. It's different with us westerners who are barely starting. We feel like the jamaican bob team at the winter olympics '88 Laughing Out Loud ( here in Germany, we finally had three tournaments with about 20-30 participants each)
But it's good fun and there are no more hurts then in any other sport with bodycontact I know.

To add something to the actual topic of the thread: I think it's prudent to start to bring jousting out of the renfaires.
There are many parallels with our sport, we also like to see it more like a modern "extreme sport" and less like a pure reenactment activity. We are aware of the fact that we are modern people living today in a modern world.
The problem is, it still is some kind of reenactment, we use medieval arms and armour and try to revive a medieval competitive "sport".
How modern can this get until it doesn't work anymore?
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Till J. Lodemann wrote:
The problem is... we use medieval arms and armour and try to revive a medieval competitive "sport".
How modern can this get until it doesn't work anymore?

And this I tink is a interesting key point. Stainless welded armour is about as modern and a "sporty" I think armour could go (a key point in sport being, at least in my mind, the cost ratio).

Also, BoN, I'd like to give it a go some day for certain. Perhaps I'll meet you in the field of battle one day Till! Laughing Out Loud

If you have a rule set that takes into account that insurance doesn't cover "... Mortaly wounded due to a aimed shot at their crest falling short", or "... Severe hyper distention and cartilage damage to the elbow with concussion due to a poor posta di donna", plus you have 'sports gear' spesific kit made from moden martirials (in my view, whilst it disheartens me, methinks is key), and you actualy have sponsors (and this is the big point to make), then it's as close to a genuine sport as one can be. Now all you need is an audience and commentators on a panel.

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Nathan Smith

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
when my club heard of the battle of nations, which by the way we had been repeatedly invited to form a team and join, we flat out refused for a couple of reasons
1 those guys fight like madmen and we dont know their fighting style so we cant fight as safely.
2. too far away.

William, it's happening. both NZ and Australia are sending teams in 2013. We are currently setting up state teams in order to get the best for our team. Drop Justin Webb or Kit Houston a line if any of your guys want to get in on it.
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would be a honur Sam Big Grin

Injury does of course happen in this fighting sport, but it is not vere sincere, mostly some blue fingertips and the one or other bloody nose if your helmet was treated more then it could take. But the rules and good armour will keep you well.
here's a link to the rules of BoN.

Nathan, great that you will make it! Next year will be very international, the austrians will form a team, even Iran!

Lloyd, sorry for capturing the thread, we should better continue in this thread!
Jen Miilu

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: lets hope that the full metal jousting show is better!         Reply with quote

lets hope that the full metal jousting show is a bit better!
There will still be Drama im sure but hpefully they will show the heart and strength of the people rather then the nonsense.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: lets hope that the full metal jousting show is better!         Reply with quote

Jen Miilu wrote:
lets hope that the full metal jousting show is a bit better!
There will still be Drama im sure but hpefully they will show the heart and strength of the people rather then the nonsense.

I agree. I also agree that it will no doubt have 'drama', but one can only hope that it will constructive and genuine rather than ''reality -TV".

That being said, living in Australia there is a good chance I'll never get a chance to watch either (I don't have cable).

It would be funny though to have a "Fashions In The Field" segment Laughing Out Loud
"... And now over to Lloyd Clark for what's hot this season, over to you Lloyd..."

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knights of mayhem- your opinion?
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: