Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Darksword Armory, Weapon Edge, World-Wide Swords.. et al Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
W. Knight

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eyal Azerad wrote:

Last year, as a matter of fact, I initiated a thread on sword buyers guide, openly inviting forum members to offer constructive criticism so that we may make improvements. That is integrity. I wanted to post the same thread in the manufacturer's section in myArmoury, but the admin has refused to grant us access to that segment of the forum.

Eyal,

I assume this means Eyal Azerad is not allowed to post new topics in the "Makers and Manufacturers Talk" forum. I imagine the reasons for this are not allowed to be disclosed, or something like that, but, on the slight chance that members be allowed to know exactly why this is the case, I would just like to ask -- why is Mr. Azerad not allowed to post in this forum as other manufacturers are?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Knight wrote:
I assume this means Eyal Azerad is not allowed to post new topics in the "Makers and Manufacturers Talk" forum. I imagine the reasons for this are not allowed to be disclosed, or something like that, but, on the slight chance that members be allowed to know exactly why this is the case, I would just like to ask -- why is Mr. Azerad not allowed to post in this forum as other manufacturers are?

Why assume anything? Only people in the Industry Professionals group can post new topics in the Makers forum. Should Eyal want to apply to the group, he certainly is welcome to do so and we'll consider the application as we would from anyone else. When considering entry, the answers to the application questions are considered along with the track record of the applicant.

The group is not open to any and all manufacturers. It's an earned privilege, not a right.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was one that did mention that a few pictures might go a long way to dispell not forging in Canada/in house and a few months later in discussion Eyal mentioned.

Quote:
In regards to requesting pictures of the forge on SBG, it certainly wasn’t an argument. Years ago, we had been “accused” in a “myArmoury” thread of importing our goods from Depeka, India, and Pakistan. This was prior to stamping our blades. Although unfounded, the accusation followed us for years. This point was recently brought up again by a “SBG” forum user. One user suggested that we take a cell phone picture of the forge. We refused. I’ve learned over the years that if you put something online, especially if it's something inferior, it will remain in cyberspace forever. I’ve learned this in a very harsh way with the apprentice made swords we used to sell for 50-75$. I therefore refused to publish a quick snap shot of the forging process. If I was going to do something like that, I would do it right. Our intention was therefore to produce a promotional video, with excerpts of the forging process. For those interested, the link is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK15bEqT5qs
Again, this is a promotional video, and not a “how to” video.

MIne has not been some grand inquisition but rather curiosity and wondering about some inconsistencies even now.

Cheers

GC
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No horse in this race but I will observe that when you acknowledge a question as valid, then commit to posting a response by a specific time, and then fail to do so, you're likely to have people in the peanut gallery fill in the space you leave open. This might be poor sportsmanship but it is the way of things.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 28 Nov, 2011 9:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An Open Letter To Those Involved:

My apologies in opening, but in all good conscience I simply cannot keep quiet about this anymore. I am starting to dislike the attitudes displayed as of late towards Mr. Azerad of Darksword Armory here on these forums. In no way am I staunch supporter of him or any purported practices associated with him, since I don't even qualify as a true sword enthusiast as many of you very capably do. But in Eyal's defence, I am starting to notice a negative shift towards what could be mistaken for condescending commentary or even snide personal attacks, especially when under the guise of reputable, constructive discussion. It seems to be transgressing right past the boundaries of normal civilized behavior, apparently enhanced by a bit of internet bravado.

Now, has anybody given any real thought to the implications of all this negativity? How will it end up reflecting upon the site as a whole? And what of the general membership? Will they start viewing myArmoury.com unfavorably? I am certainly inclined to think that no good will come of this type of behavior. So, if you truely have issues of merit to discuss please do so in a better manner, one more becoming of Gentlemen.

Regards, Torsten

PS: Please don't drag a reputable website down with your pittances...

Paul B.G

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Torsten F.H. Wilke wrote:
An Open Letter To Those Involved:

My apologies in opening, but in all good conscience I simply cannot keep quiet about this anymore. I am starting to dislike the attitudes displayed as of late towards Mr. Azerad of Darksword Armory here on these forums. In no way am I staunch supporter of him or any purported practices associated with him, since I don't even qualify as a true sword enthusiast as many of you very capably do. But in Eyal's defence, I am starting to notice a negative shift towards what could be mistaken for condescending commentary or even snide personal attacks, especially when under the guise of reputable, constructive discussion. It seems to be transgressing right past the boundaries of normal civilized behavior, apparently enhanced by a bit of internet bravado.

Now, has anybody given any real thought to the implications of all this negativity? How will it end up reflecting upon the site as a whole? And what of the general membership? Will they start viewing myArmoury.com unfavorably? I am certainly inclined to think that no good will come of this type of behavior. So, if you truely have issues of merit to discuss please do so in a better manner, one more becoming of Gentlemen.

Regards, Torsten

PS: Please don't drag a reputable website down with your pittances...

I know that I’m still a new member and also pretty new to this field, but aside from my inexperience, I echo Torsten's feelings. As a bystander I have noticed any threads that mention Darksword Amory seem to go the same way in a negative trend towards them. I am unaware of any previous exchanges that may have led to this trend, but none the less there seems to be a bias towards them.

Regards – Paul

I also should add that I have no personal experience with any of Darksword Amory’s products, mine is just a bystanders observation.

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps prior community experience is not completely fair when considering who they are and what they do, especially in the context of this very moment in time. Their track record over the years has seemed uneven to me. Because of this I think that what you perceive as bias might reasonably be seen as prescience from a different frame of reference. Still, perception and perspective is something that all of us should consider, and some posts might have been better constructed, which is what I think you are both suggesting.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's not a stretch to say that discussing Darksword can bring out the worst in this community. They are a polarizing company with ardent supporters and ardent detractors. Their product line seems to be improving by accounts from those who've bought recently.

However, the company's history is hard to ignore and some find it impossible to set it aside. While it may not be entirely fair to criticize today for the actions of previous years, there are still current issues. For me, I feel these need to be addressed before I can begin to come around. Here are some of them:

Clean up the incorrect material on the website. There are a number of things on there that could be construed as misleading. We can debate whether the copy is meant to be misleading or whether it's just sloppy editing or something, but cleaning it up would begin to give more credence to claims of integrity and professionalism. To be taken seriously, I'd urge DSA to be much more serious about the accuracy of info on their website. Citing specific museum examples raises expectations and shouldn't be done haphazardly or sloppily. Here's an incomplete list of issues with the website:

Sword 1368: It's not based on a sword in the Royal Ontario Museum. The original they reference and used to picture is in Paris. The furniture on the Paris sword is gilt iron or steel, not brass.

Sword 1325 (Henry V): The original sword is housed in Westminster, not the Tower Collection.

1302 Dark Age sword: There is no original of this form in the Tower. The closest thing to it seems to be a modern design.

There are a number of items of medieval form that they claim are based on examples in the Tower of London. Much of the Tower collection is now of much later vintage. Much of the earlier stuff is now at Leeds. They should check to see if those items are/were part of HM collection and see whether they are in the tower or at Leeds.

Sword 1350: This is not based on a historical design, but one submitted by a SBG member. It shouldn't be listed as based on something in Zurich.

Regarding historical accuracy, I doubt I'll we'll share the same interpretation of that term and that's fine. There's room for a wide variety of interpretation in the marketplace. I think they could stand to back down from some claims and use terminology that I feel better fits the product line, but that's personal opinion and I don't expect agreement on the issue.

Another step in the right direction would be to have them stop relying so heavily on reviews posted on their vendor's websites. Those reviews, fairly or not, will always be viewed with some skepticism because of the financial involvement the reviewer has.

As members of this community, we have the choice of whether or not to behave like gentlemen; we don't always make the right choice and that does indeed reflect poorly on us. We can also choose as individuals whether to pile on or not in these situations; again, we don't always make the right choice. People tend to feel strongly about things they feel are misleading. But perhaps we can and should find a way to better uphold our community values than what tends to happen in these threads.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Darksword's Norman sword         Reply with quote

I can reply with first hand experience based upon a Darksword Norman that I received just two days ago. I also have a Darksword Parrying Dagger enroute, expected delivery date is tomorrow. So I can only speak on The Norman.

The Norman was scraped and scratched almost from head to toe.

After a lengthy and cautious steel wool & wiping down session using various grades, I did manage to remove much of what I regard as going far beyond the little imperfections that are often found, if not expected in almost any handmade sword. However, there are deeper scratches on the guard and the blade which would simply involve too much metal removal to alleviate. While my efforts resulted in a much better appearance by far, I'm still left with a flawed Darksword Norman sword.

What I also find discomforting is the fact that Darksword, prior to building and preparing my Norman for shipment, had announced a new, revised Norman. How nice I thought, good timing. However, I was sent the older version, and this version even lacked Darksword's maker's mark.

I have sent an email to Darksword about all of this. Cutting to the chase, I asked if I could return The Norman I had received, and asked if they would send me the new version. I also asked for a better examination before shipment. I have not yet received a reply, it is the weekend, but I am hopeful of a favorable response.

I realize that at their prices one cannot not expect Albion-like quality, it just won't happen. But I do expect Darksword, or any maker for that matter, to deliver a product which is inspected for such obvious flaws before they are shipped. The maker should deliver the piece as advertised and as displayed.

In my communications with Eyal, emails, phone calls, he always comes across as a gentleman. In no way do I want to appear mean spirited here. But the facts are the facts.

Thanks, Jon
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Darksword's 1812 Parrying Dagger         Reply with quote

Hello all.
Here is some information, much of which I also posted at the SFI Forum in a thread concerning Darksword Armory's quality. It's obvious that I have now reached a certain level of, well, frustration with Darksword Armory. While not a complete novice or rookie in collecting, I do have some things to learn. My recent interaction with Darksword products has been illuminating. I hope my language is not too strong for the moderators here.

As I stated in my previous post concerning The Norman sword from Darksword, I was expecting delivery of their Parrying Dagger 1812, their version of a main-guache, see: http://www.darksword-armory.com/medieval-daggers/. It has arrived and this is what I can tell you. I'll try to upload some pictures later.

- There are multiple rusted areas; at the end where the wire wrapping meets the guard, on both sides of the upper blade / ricasso, and in multiple areas where major scratches have occurred. One could almost get the impression by the rust contrast that the knife is chrome plated, I'm not claiming it is, but these blemishes do jump out.

- The wood grip underneath the wire wrap is blatantly visible where the wire wrap meets the guard / quillons. The wire wrap appears incomplete, in fact it is incomplete. Perhaps a turkshead or some sort of collar would have been helpful.

- And the worst part. The ring (which is perhaps too thin) is soldered to the guard, well, very poorly. Solder is smeared broadly all over the areas of attachment and there are large lumps of solder on both sides of the attachment points, there was no post soldering clean-up. And again, rust is clearly visible at both of the ring's connecting points

- The included scabbard, while not unattractive, isn't close to fitting the dagger. It's about 1/4 inch too wide, and a good 1 1/2 inch too long. The dagger simply flops around inside the scabbard.

- Most of the blade isn't bad, there are some scratches which I could remove as I did with partial success on their Norman sword. The dagger design is attractive, I generally like the main-guache variety of dagger, especially this dagger as shown in the photo displayed at DSA's website. This dagger does feel sturdy, nothing rattles or wobbles. It's the poor execution of assembly and the general lack of quality control that is obvious.

All in all, to this collector, Darksword Armory has proven to be very disappointing and I cannot recommended them until some very obvious quality control problems are addressed.

There will be additional discussion points in another email to Darksword.

Thanks, Jon
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eyal Azerad wrote:
Well…I logged in to answer Peter’s question only to find an array of sarcastic comments and personal attacks. Given the tone of this thread, it is quite evident that there is no real interest in our response. It doesn’t seem like this thread was create for open discussion, but criticism and speculation – above comments case in point…..sorry for keeping a clean shop…seriously guys?.

Since there is no genuine interest in our response I will not waste your time, nor mine, by writing the lengthy explanation I had intended to write. Suffice it to say that the annealing / normalization process takes about 18 hours. So no, Bruno, we can’t pop them out in 45 minutes like companies making ‘’hand made’’ swords with C&C machines, but that’s another issue altogether. For those of you who are genuinely interested in getting insight into our production, I will write a detailed article about all the process and post it on our blog right after the holiday rush. In the meantime, there is quite a bit of unfair and unfounded opinions about Darksword on this forum, none based on empirical evidence (ie, testing and examination). To read balanced performance reviews, you can look at a multitude of YouTube videos or article reviews from past customers. Here are just some of them:

http://www.swordsofvalor.com/darkswordnormanreview.html
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/DSA-Norman.html
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/knights-templar.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJmyEYCgzNI&am...r_embedded

Maybe I sounded a bit "sarcastic" but either I'm a very bad (hobby) smith or it sounds a bit difficult to me that somebody based in western hemisphere be able to produce swords by smithing them at the final costs of your product.

For the rest I do not discuss the quality of your swords, that I haven't yet seen here in my area.

What really "puzzles" me is that a sword producer based in a country with high labour costs be able to mass produce swords by actually smothing them. In such case you could very well be an happy exception to a sad rule.
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Hargis, I'm curious if a reply or satisfactory conclusion was reached about the Norman sword? Did you buy direct from DSA or through a distributor? (KoA as an example, I know they inspect before shipping.) But what I find curious is the seeming acceptance that inexpensive swords are going to arrive with flaws, blemishes, rust or other unacceptable "dings" that the purchaser is going to fix themselves! Just because a hobbyist is "only" spending $200 dollars (or less than $500) is no excuse for shoddy production. Kris Cutlery is an excellent example of a good quality, inexpensive sword. I've owned (and still own) several of their swords and knives, and none ever arrived with rust or scratches. The only modifications I ever felt the need to do were handle re-wrap and a better quality sheath. Hanwei is another good example of economy and quality. As hobbyists we need to stop accepting poor production, and get our money back... The market will take care of itself at that point.
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, as a potential customer of DSA, I'd have to say I'd have reservations after reading this thread. The observations seem genuine and the makers responses have been almost deflective.
Interesting thread, indeed. Eye-opening.

Murphy Cool

aka "Murphy"
See ya at Bristol Renaissance Faire!

The decisions we make, dictate the life we lead.

"I drank what?" -Socrates
www.celticfuryproduction.com
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eyal Azerad wrote:
Hi Peter,

I just uploaded our new website and am fixing a few glitches and absolutely need to finish a custom piece for tomorrow morning...I'll post a response tomorrow afternoon about that.

Thank you,

Eyal,
DSA inc.

I am blown away by this response. Better to not respond at all. Took you longer to type that then it would have to just say " it takes about 6 hours to forge a basic sword" or whatever.

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond Deancona,

I have yet to hear from Darksword.

In addition to my request to exchange The Norman that I received for the newer edition (with some guarantee of pre-shipping inspection), I sent a request for a full refund on the 1812 Parrying Dagger. Given the situation, I felt this to be more than fair. Though a part of me just wants to chuck it all and get a total refund on both. While I did improve The Norman substantially, the dagger I left alone in disgust. Frankly, I was embarrassed and still am.

I ordered these directly from Darksword via telephone with Eyal.

As I said, I realized that DSA was not Albion or Arms & Armor, and I do have some fine, higher end items in my collection and want to built upon it with a nice variety of swords, daggers, & knives. I had read some favorable reviews of DSA and some much older, negative reviews which were addressed by Eyal in an interview. The photos and descriptions on their website looked relatively impressive. And given the price points, about $310.00 for The Norman, $160.00 for the parrying dagger (+ the usual shipping charges), & scabbards, being made in Canada, and I did realize they produce larger quantities, I thought I'd give them a shot.

It's the assembly and whatever happens after the assembly (in the case of The Norman, though the parts could have been beat up prior to assembly) that is the problem. Their seems to be little to no quality control in place. It's probably just luck that someone gets one as shown & described. As you said, there are other high volume companies which deliver well assembled and blemish free products. I have held new Hanweis and Albions, and of course there is a difference, but both were well built, blemish free and obviously inspected before going out of their respective shops.

I'm not sure how this will be resolved, but it has been educational.

T.F. McCraken,

Yes, they look good on their website, prices are low, the descriptions are alluring, but until there is a better quality control system in place I would go elsewhere. Or you might just get lucky. The Norman is a bit 'whippy', and not refined, but for the bucks and if it was delivered in good order, you would have relatively decent sword to fool around with. That's a big IF. Not once, but twice I got nailed.

Regards, Jon
F. Portman

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been following the recent addition to this thread and I'm very interested to learn how it turns out. It's true that this board has tended to be a bit snarky when it comes to DSA and it appears that the DSA people decided to check out of the discussions here some time ago, figuring they can't win. That's understandable, perhaps, on a personal level, though possibly not smart as a business/PR strategy. This kind of silence (if I'm reading it right) to an actual dissatisfied customer is startling, though, especially given that the flaws were so great. And I'm with Raymond Deancona: if I'd spent $400 on an item that required major repairs right out of the box, I'd be irate. If that's really what happened, it's appalling.
Thou needest not to look at it. 'Tis even as thou seest, the leg is off.
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

F. Portman:

Thanks for your interest in this amazing purchase.
Quote:
And I'm with Raymond Deancona: if I'd spent $400 on an item that required major repairs right out of the box, I'd be irate. If that's really what happened, it's appalling.

That's what really happened and I was certainly irate. It was difficult to comprehend that these would be shipped to a paying customer. I've at last started to laugh about it. The dagger is especially hilarious. I am a collector of various types with some high quality pieces, not as large and grand as some of those shown at this site, but nonetheless, I like to think I know what I'm talking about when I talk while always wanting to learn more. And I do know what my eyes see.

I have now offered Darksword a revised solution that is probably too soft on my part, here is the email I just sent to Eyal:
Quote:
Eyal:

I have a solution that I'm sure is better for both of us.

- I will keep The Norman that you sent.

- Another collector in my general area, and a smith in his own right, has looked over The Norman sword and says he can remove or greatly diminish the scratches that I left alone. He is quite good and will do this as a favor to me. That, combined with the fact that the new Norman is simply a guard change, means I will not be sending The Norman sword I have back to you for an exchange. Ultimately, I feel I will end up with a better sword this way vs. any replacement you would send.

- I will however be sending the 1812 Parrying Dagger for a full refund.

Jon

In an act of therapy, just minutes ago I ordered an Armour Class Highland Hand & a Half Sword from Kult of Athena. I also have two outstanding custom orders with Arms & Armor to look forward to, as well as an outstanding custom order with a smith who is new to me , Ben Rial of Forged In time. I feel better already.

Cheers, Jon
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Hargis wrote:

I also have two outstanding custom orders with Arms & Armor to look forward to

Jon, could you tell us a little more about those custom orders with A&A?
F. Portman

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're bouncing back, J. And I'm also interested in the details of your commissions if you'd care to share them.

As to the DSA order, though, it isn't clear to me from your posts exactly what, if any, response you've gotten from them. Did they respond, and if so, what did they say? Or has it all come from your end so far?

Thou needest not to look at it. 'Tis even as thou seest, the leg is off.
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper and F. Portman:

I would be going off the topic of this thread to describe my outstanding orders, I will PM both of you later with that information. Thanks for your interest. I mentioned them here to bring up something positive.

As for DSA, I did receive a phone call from Eyal.

I called him prior to sending him the email which I quoted in my last post and left a message with essentially the same information. In his return call, which he left to my voicemail, he agreed to my arrangement and very politely apologized. He also made it clear that the responsible employee would "get an earful". Good to know. And I do enjoy his Canadian accent.

So it. appears that the issue is resolved, even though I must go through the hassle of re-packing and mailing the dagger per his specific instructions. And that does bring up another point which I feel is crucial to good service and the protection of swords and cutlery in general while they are in transit. No doubt there is a thread here somewhere which discusses the critical point of postal shipment packaging.

I brought up the issue of Darksword's packaging methods with Eyal in an email exchange last night. Let it be said that I consider their packaging methods to be sub-standard. I will quote what I said about both the Norman sword and the parrying dagger packaging:

Quote:
Also, the soft box packaging that the sword was sent in left a lot to be desired, not to mention the gobs of sticky tape all over the place in an uncontrolled manner.

and:
Quote:
The dagger was not even in a box, just bubble-wrap, gobs of unruly tape within a brown paper wrap-around mass.

I told him I would return the dagger in the same material in which it was received.

If there is a thread somewhere at myArmoury on this very important point please point me to it. Clearly, solid protective packaging is a must. Another problem that Darksword has to clean up. In all of my many previous experiences this one takes the cake.

Perhaps there are employees who are asleep at the wheel and slacking off. I hope for his own sake Eyal ferrets out the very obvious shortcomings at Darksword Armoury.

Also, I will try to squeeze in the time to at least post pictures of the dagger.

Best, Jon

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Darksword Armory, Weapon Edge, World-Wide Swords.. et al
Page 2 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: