Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Chapes! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Chapes!         Reply with quote

Many folks here will be pleased to see that Arma Bohemia is now offering a simple chape in several sizes.

http://www.armabohemia.cz/Novestr/scabbardsA.htm

Shipping shouldn't be terrible, even to the US.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am positive that these are the same offered by the two j's here:

http://www.twojs.me.uk/Images/chapes.jpg

They are very short in length and while they would suit a dagger scabbard they won't be a great fit for a sword (I have the mid and large one).
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would contact Tod ( Leo ) of Tod's Stuff and he would certainly be able to make a custom chape and it would only be a question of the price being affordable to the person making the commission.

No idea at what price point Tod could make even a simple one but it might be a good option for a special project.

If there was enough demand for a line of standardized chapes of various designs making them as small production runs could bring the price down ?

No harm in asking Leo. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
No harm in asking Leo. Wink

I've done that already Happy
He said he might offer some through his foundry at some point, cast shapes. It was a while ago so it might happen soon hopefully. IMO that's quiet obvious that there is a solid demand for that these days.
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Julien,
once again I recommend Holger Ratsdorf. He makes extraordinary stuff - like chapes and buckles. I bought several times from him and he never let me down.

http://www.hr-replikate.de

Best regards,
Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some strange reason I can't log on the Arma Bohemia website to see their chapes. I was looking for one until a day or two ago. I"d looked at the horseshoe chape that Viking Shield sells but the picture quality was so iffy that I had idea if the chape was plated or not. This didn't give me a lot of confidence in the quality of that particular product so I continued looking.

I ordered a chape from Tod's Stuff just this morning. While I have complete confidence that I'll be entirely satisfied with Tod's product I have yet to see it. I'll be sure to post a little review here when I do. Tod and I communicated via e-mail since we're on opposite sides of the Atlantic and I am very impressed with Todd's patience, cooperative attitude and professionalism.

I've admired his products for years and now I'm going to get a chance to see not only one of his chapes but I've also placed an order for one of his bushcraft knives which he's allowing me to buy in kit form so I can assemble the handle and sheathe myself.

I'm hard pressed to decide if I'm more excited to finally be able to make a scabbard for my Knud or the knife!
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote
Quote:
If there was enough demand for a line of standardized chapes of various designs making them as small production runs could bring the price down ?

No harm in asking Leo.

No harm in asking at all. I will be offering a range of 4 dagger chapes and 3 sword chapes in the next few weeks on the foundry site and more will be coming.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The basic bronze chape is caste from bronze, no plating.

Ken Speed wrote:
For some strange reason I can't log on the Arma Bohemia website to see their chapes. I was looking for one until a day or two ago. I"d looked at the horseshoe chape that Viking Shield sells but the picture quality was so iffy that I had idea if the chape was plated or not. This didn't give me a lot of confidence in the quality of that particular product so I continued looking.

I ordered a chape from Tod's Stuff just this morning. While I have complete confidence that I'll be entirely satisfied with Tod's product I have yet to see it. I'll be sure to post a little review here when I do. Tod and I communicated via e-mail since we're on opposite sides of the Atlantic and I am very impressed with Todd's patience, cooperative attitude and professionalism.

I've admired his products for years and now I'm going to get a chance to see not only one of his chapes but I've also placed an order for one of his bushcraft knives which he's allowing me to buy in kit form so I can assemble the handle and sheathe myself.

I'm hard pressed to decide if I'm more excited to finally be able to make a scabbard for my Knud or the knife!

www.viking-shield.com
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
I will be offering a range of 4 dagger chapes and 3 sword chapes in the next few weeks on the foundry site and more will be coming.

Amen to that!

Don't want to harrass you Leo, but a shape and locket scabbard kit would be a fine next step Happy
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's exciting news, Tod! I'll need a fancy one for my Hauswehr, and you just might have it.
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can second the recommendation of Holger Ratsdorf. He made a large bronze fibula for me many years ago and it's beautiful. He also went out of his way to get it to me in time for a Christmas present. Suggested ways to save time and money without compromising the quality.
-Sean

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Chapes!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic