Help with Sword ID
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me identify a sword that I found on the myArmoury/Albums section. I absolutely fell in love with it, and I was wondering if anyone has any more pics of it, any info on it, or knows where I could find out more about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Attachment: 31.53 KB
Rapier_1590_3.jpg

Rapier, Dresden Collection
HMD: VI/305; Inv. Churkammer 439; Inv. 1836 I/131

The swept, blackened iron hilt is damascened in gold and silver and partly gilt. The decoration consists of rich scrolling foliage inhabited by fish-like monsters, with, set at intervals, delicate gold appliques which are also decorated with scrolling foliage. The grip is bound with partly gilt silver wire. The blade has two shallow grooves and is impressed on both sides with the name of the Solingen bladesmith PETTHER MUNSTEN. The bladesmith's mark appears three times on the ricasso.

Hilt, German (?), Circa 1590
Length: 44.9"; blade 38.3"
Weight: 2 pounds, 8 oz

Published: Treasures in the Dresden Collection, 1975, Johannes Schobel, G.P. Putnam's Sons, New York, SBN: 399-11363-0
That certainly is beautiful. I've come to really love multi-fullered rapiers.
Thank you for the info Nathan. I appreciate it.
James
Nathan,
Thanks again for the reference of this sword. I found a used copy of Treasures in the Dresden Collection on Amazon.com that my wife bought me. I can't wait to get it and look through.
Thanks again,
James
Bill,
I have also come to really love multi-fullered rapiers. It's funny how tastes can really evolve in this hobby. When I first started collecting I really liked the plain and simple type X and type XII swords and now I have really grown to love the more complex hilts of rapiers, baskethilts and schiavonnas.
James

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: