Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New to board Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Frank Perkin

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: New to board         Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. I am new to the hobby. I am a real history buff, and I'm really into the Roman and middle age periods. I'm shopping for my first sword, and am looking for a middle age period bastard sword. I really don't want the ones designed to go after plate armor joints, but one that is a balanced cut and thruster. I will have about $500 to spend. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanx.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to board         Reply with quote

Frank Perkin wrote:
Hi Everyone. I am new to the hobby. I am a real history buff, and I'm really into the Roman and middle age periods. I'm shopping for my first sword, and am looking for a middle age period bastard sword. I really don't want the ones designed to go after plate armor joints, but one that is a balanced cut and thruster. I will have about $500 to spend. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanx.

Frank,
Hello, and welcome to the myArmoury forums! There are a good number of options in your price range, including swords by Del Tin, Angus Trim, Lutel, perhaps Arms and Armor, and many others. There are a bunch of reviews on the reviews page that might be a good starting point. There's also a fairly extensive links page as well.

Good options might be Museum Replicas' Towton sword, Del Tin's 2143 (reviewed on the review page), Angus Trim's 1433 (also reviewed). You can also check the MarketPlace forum for used items for sale by other members.

Hope this helps! Welcome!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In that price range I don't think you can beat the swords found here.

http://www.allsaintsblades.com/standard.htm

They aren't assembled using historical methods like the period recreation blades found here

http://www.albion-swords.com

but they are within you're price range and I hear nothing but good things about them.

-v

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Frank Perkin

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Allsaints blades.         Reply with quote

Hi Vincent. Thanx for pointing me to http://www.allsaintsblades.com/standard.htm. They have some great looking stuff, must of it is in my price range. It's so hard to decide on just one sword!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I basically agree with Vincent. Angus Trim's swords will, by and large, be the best-performing swords in the price bracket. They sacrifice a little, though, in terms of a historically accurate look. In that price range, you tend to get either historical looks or good performance, but seldom both (that's just my opinion).

Patrick's article is a good starting point as well for getting a feel of each price bracket (http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_modreplica.html).

The next bracket up (another $150 to $200), has companies like Albion Armorers or Arms & Armor and has much more accuracy in terms of looks and handling.

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI Frank,

I won't make any recommendations, since they would only echo the information you've already received. I'll simply say welcome to myArmoury!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards Frank,

If I may make a suggestion that I think will be helpful, read everything you can online to educate yourself before making a purchase. There is a tremendous amount of disinformation and myths that novices to this hobby have to deal with. You might even pick up a copy of Ewart Oakeshott's "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" from Amazon. Once you have done some reading you will be able to make a much more informed decision about which company to deal with and which sword to purchase. You will also be much happier about the purchase down the road, knowing you got it right the first time.
I would highly recommend Albion as I am a happy customer.
http://www.albionarmorers.com/
Their "Squire" line swords feature historical construction at a price well within your budget. Several of their premier "Next Generation" line are not much above your budget, and there are some on sale now. They also have a large amount of helpful information on their site.

Regards,
Brian M
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome!
You're starting in a price range that will give you lots of choices, as others have already described (I'm currently lusting for the Windlass/MRL Towton, but then I'm also saving up for an E.B. Erickson piece). I will note that IF you can find two Windlass/MRL weapons that suit you, have good reps and historically plausible design, you could get both for $500 or less (for example, their "German" falchion and a C&T sword such as the Towton or Arbedo). The trick there is to stick to the items recommended in these forums. I find that the Windlass/MRL pieces are great fun to tinker with, upgrade, etc. because your investment is relatively small. Of course, I'd much rather have just about ANYTHING from Albion.

I would also suggest that you search the classified forum at swordforum.com and the Marketplace forum at this site. If you bide your time and have some flexibility in your wants/needs, you can find some fantastic bargains on pre-owned, high-end production arms that would otherwise be out of your price range. The nice thing about incurable arms and armour lust is that it requires folks to sell parts of their collections when they become smitten by a new sparkly! This also means that you probably won't have much trouble selling your first sword if your tastes change. Heck, I'll go ahead and promise to buy your used Towton for $50. Wink

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another place to find some other ATrim models -- www.leesarmoury.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New to board
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic