myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Lower class Viking age kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Phil U

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/staff.php?id=neil.price

That guy might have one of the best jobs on earth.

Speaking of kit.....that's quite a picture of the pirate viking![/img]
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are allread (all to) many reenactors that look like pirates... No need for further encouragement.

Personaly I am partial to the western Eurpean inluenced look rather than the eastern style that is in vouge among reenactors these days.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote, "I suppose to a large extent it depends on how you interpretate the word 'viking': as a pirate, or as the levy class of butskarl engaged in the organised expeditions of the later viking age."

That's exactly my point, they changed over time and place, just like the cowboys of North America did. They, both the cowboys and the Vikings, invented and reinvented themselves until they were eventually wiped out.

David thank you for the reference. I'm going to read it more thoroughly and I think I may want to read his book about Viking religion and war.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Viking         Reply with quote

Ken

Neil Price's 2nd edition is as yet to be published but will be available via Oxbow Books when it is.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Phil U

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Personaly I am partial to the western Eurpean inluenced look rather than the eastern style that is in vouge among reenactors these days.

What are the differences?
David Huggins

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Viking         Reply with quote

'Easten style' tends towards a style commonly associated amogst re-enactors with the 'Russ' with an ad-mixture of steppe culture influences, baggy style trousers, kaftan, sabre, lamellar, eastern style helms, riding boots.

'Western' style tends towards a style of shoe, leg-bindings, tight trousers, tunic, mail shirt, nasal helm, etc.

best
Dave

Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lower class Viking age kit         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
and will agree most common men woldnt have a helmet, some reenactment groups may or may not require one to be able to take part in combat. if your intending on fighting that is.

Perhaps those groups could also accept a steel skullcap under a woolen cap... It would offer more or less similar protection while not looking flashy.

And I'm also wondering whether anybody has any idea at all regarding the wooden tipped spears:
Paul Hansen wrote:
Just a question, but is there any indication that the Vikings still used wooden tipped spears? The Germanics did so, according to Tacitus.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wooden tipped spears? Maybe for practice, but I doubt for genuine conflicts.
However that being said, wooden tipped javelins/throwing spears I can definitely accept as plausible.
Here's the scene: You and your Scan/Balt/Germ/Celt buddies are setting up for an ambush on a convoy/train/collum the next morning, but you need more firepower, and you need it cheap and fast (like that lass in that tavern a fortnight ago *wink-wink-nudge-nudge*), so you go about the forest selecting saplings/small trees that are sort of straight. You take them to your firepit, sharpen the points, straighten them some more using the heat, then fire harden the point. Boom, more projectiles than you can...
Shake a stick at. Cool

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, exactly. But even when held in the hand it is a reasonable weapon. Like I said, Indonesian rebels continued using sharpened bamboo sticks until the 1940's - 1950's...

Although I fear that I have remembered the reference in Germania incorrectly... Worried
I just tried to look it up and came back empty-handed.
Phil U

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Makes sense to my uninformed mind. Ingve and his gang are heading over to your fjord to make trouble, and on your side are a few thanes and a selection of hungover, ill-equipped fisherman. May as well rig them as best you can with fire-hardened sharpened poles and hope for the best.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:

Although I fear that I have remembered the reference in Germania incorrectly... Worried
I just tried to look it up and came back empty-handed.

Annals. Book 2, para 14.

Quote:
If their first line is armed with spears, the rest have only weapons hardened by fire or very short.

However (at the risk of banging my head against a brick wall), everybody who was legally allowed to bear arms (ie freemen...hungover or otherwise) had a legal obligation to have a spear, so they didn't need pointed sticks.
Apart form anything else, you'd want at least one for those occasions when you had to go and hunt for your supper...or to keep the wolves (and other snarling beasties) from the door.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
William P

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

in japan, the banmboo spear was, as i understand a quite common impromptu weapon, for peasents and samurai alike,

but really, what matters more with the use of wooden spears is if the people your giving them to are in any way useful.

as for eastern style verses western, that description is exactly the early varangian guardsmans outfit funnily enough
wether your russ, byzantine or steppe your gonna have that combination of clothing,

during the 11th century you get ever increasing numbers of men recruited from western nations like england, nor mandy and scandinavia, but they were initially MOSTLY rus, because the first contingent of guardsmen were from the armies of the russian prince,.
i can imagine quite a few english huskarls migrated to constantinople to join after hastings.

though admittedly this doesnt help the OP's questions though since the varangian guard was such a melting pot during the late 10th early 11th C, it gives people alot of flexibility in terms of cultural portrayal (general byzantine army kit is acceptable from what ive heard)

as for combat gear, an iron scullcap under a simple 6 panel hat is a good way to go and considering the dark ages is mostly devoid of facial protection chances are the group would allow only limited strikes to the head region.
according to hurstwic there are accounts of hats with iron plates sewn into them. read the page on defensive gear to double check.

speaking of which, now obviously the combat rules of my group dont translate around the world, but in mine, the spear is often a weapon used by advanced fighters because thrusts are the most likely to be redirected to a vital area.
so if you intend on fighting, have a hand weapon like an axe just incase combat rules ddont let you fight with the spear immediately

as for period gear, historic enterprises has EXCELLENT clothing, in terms of tunics, trousers, belts, hats and winnagas (legwraps) and its apparently been approved by the regia anglorum for historuical accuraacy, though they dont do period shoes viking era shoes

instead if you wish to make shoes,
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/...ction.html here is a pretty simple design for a possibly 10th century shoe. (it could be later though)
he also has a page on shields though hurstwic definately is good enough on its own http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html

by the way starting as a common man level fighter is a good idea,
it means your kit is simple, it has a lower number of components meaning that you vcan invest more money and effort into each piece, this means that the overall quality of your kit will be superior for a given amount of money and effort.

although may i ask if the OP is intending on making this kit for historical dissplay or if he intends to do combat as well.

if its the latter, depending on your budget, focus.dont bother getting sharp versions of your weapons
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Viking         Reply with quote

I'm not entirely certain that the use of steppe culture cavalry type sabre as appears to be hugely popular with some viking age re-enactors, particularly in Eastern Europe is actually reflected in the reality of finds associated with the the Viking Age in early Russ or in countires like present day Poland etc. I was under the impression that 'Frankish' type blades with the typical pommels associated with viking swords where more the actualit.

The popular style baggy style pants as far as I can recall are mentioned in the appropiate saga because of there rarity and use of voluminous cloth, so these may again be a misunderstanding that has become a popular 'given', sometimes references to carvings on soe runestones are also used as a referance source, but it is very difficult to say with any certainty what these may represent, equally they could be short trousers.

At the end of the day it is all very much about interpretation of what little we do know.

Matt's point about freemen bearing arms is spot on, the 'wapontak' or if you wish 'Thing', regional assemblies, where free-men came to recite the laws, see lawfull justice dispensed and vote on concerns, required free men to bear arms, literally to take weapons as in wapontake, which in the Northern Danelaw of England eventually would lead to land divisions known by this name.

best
Dave

Phil U

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
it means your kit is simple, it has a lower number of components meaning that you vcan invest more money and effort into each piece, this means that the overall quality of your kit will be superior for a given amount of money and effort.

although may i ask if the OP is intending on making this kit for historical dissplay or if he intends to do combat as well.

if its the latter, depending on your budget, focus.dont bother getting sharp versions of your weapons

Good points, and thank you for the references to sources for clothing. I'd like to mix it up a bit if I can so blunt it shall be.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
However (at the risk of banging my head against a brick wall), everybody who was legally allowed to bear arms (ie freemen...hungover or otherwise) had a legal obligation to have a spear, so they didn't need pointed sticks.
Apart form anything else, you'd want at least one for those occasions when you had to go and hunt for your supper...or to keep the wolves (and other snarling beasties) from the door.

Thanks for the reference. Good to know I'm not going mad yet. Big Grin

My point (if you pardon the pun) is that the word "spear" is a bit ambiguous. All dictionaries I checked on-line define it as "a thrusting or throwing weapon with long shaft and sharp head or blade" (Merriam-Webster) or similar.

So a "pointed stick" is by definition a spear and may be counted as such. It seems Tacitus (or rather Germanicus) did count them as spears, although of inferior quality. If such weapons form a significant part of the army, then it would be logical if those weapons would be allowed at the thing as well.

Of course there is a difference between the Germanics in Tacitus' time and the lower-class Vikings we are talking about now. I think that the Vikings had more iron available to them than the Germanics, so perhaps in the Viking age, a spear should be metal tipped to qualify for a free man.
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm thinking about putting a kit together for labor use and winter events, preferably with a selection of household items to go with it. I believe somewhat middle-class free man would be the place to aim: Managing, but not rich enough to afford himself much luxury, Functional and warm woolen clothes without any fancy dyes* or decoration, worn and eventually showing signs of repair. Simple leather shoes, but otherwise barefoot to save them from wear and tear. A knife to wear in a simple, undecorated belt, a spear in the event of conflict, an axe for woodcutting - as well as perhaps a small selection of woodworking tools. A wooden peat spade, bow for hunting, perhaps a net for fishing.

*IMHO clothing is one of the instances where logical fallacies are the most abundant with reenactors. Like when somebody runs into battle with a nice sword and a beautiful helmet, with a tunic fit for a bum. Or when people prowl the markets in madder balloon pants, when the rest of their kits, well...
I'm not necessarily much better though, as my current kit has room for LOTS of improvement in this department.

William P wrote:

i have no idea, either way, im still being aquainted
i just know that my groupstrives to depict someone of huskarl

Not accusing your mates of anything, but but I find there is a tendency towards confusion in terms when it comes to social classes in old norse society. Throughout most of the period, I would suggest the term húskarl to evoke the image of a man wielding a tool or agricultural implement, rather than the helmet-adorned, dane axe wielding aristocrat one sees in google image search. Essentially, a húskarl was a man in the service of somebody likely richer or higher up in the hierarchy than himself, and probably more of a farmhand in most cases than anything else.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Essentially, a húskarl was a man in the service of somebody likely richer or higher up in the hierarchy than himself, and probably more of a farmhand in most cases than anything else.

I would not put a Huscarl in the "farmhand" category. They were the retainers or warband of an Earl or King - the foot equivalent of a european miles at that time.
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
They were the retainers or warband of an Earl or King - the foot equivalent of a european miles at that time.

Sure, the húskarl is also mentioned as part of the king's retinue sometimes, and it is likely that this followed some sort of military duty, but he is usually (as far as I'm concerned) distinguished from the hirðmaðr, which is the typical term for a warrior in the service of an aristocrat. The term húskarl literally means "a man of the house", which stands in contrast to the actual master of the house, the húsbóndi - which is the same word as modern english "husband". And when the word bóndi is used (meaning somewhat literally somebody who lives permanently, a (land owning??) free man), as the superior of the húskarl, I can hardly imagine we are talking king Rædwald-esque glory here, to put it bluntly.

Examples from the literature, and how it often accounts for the position of the húskarl:

"Bóndi spurði húskarl, er hann kom í stofu: „Hverr kom maðr úti?"
Húskarl svarar: „Veit ek at síðr, hverr hann er, at ek ætla^
at hann viti ekki sjálfr''. Jöðurr segir: „Hvárt bauð þú
honum hér gisting?" Hann svarar: „Bauð ek' Jöðurr
mælti: „Hverju svaraði hann?" „Ekki léz bann vilja þiggja
gistingarboð at þrælum; bað hann þik út koma"

-"The farmer asked the húskarl, as he came [back] inside the sitting room: "Who was that man outside?". The Húskarl answers; "I know I saw about as much of him, that i doubt he knows it himself". Jodurr says: "Well, did you offer him in as a guest?" He replies: "I did" Jodurr spoke: "And what did he say in reply?" "-That he wouldn't have himself be invited in by slaves. He asked you to come out".

"kemr einn maðr at Ólafi konungi á fiskibáti. Ólafr spyrr, hverr hann væri; "ek er einn húskarl""

-"A man came to king Olaf on the fishing boat. Olaf asks him who he is; "I am a húskarl""

The idea of a húskarl as a military title first and foremost, is likely based on misconception. A farmhand or worksman at a large estate, and an armed retainer following a king, both fall into the concept "a man in the service of a superior", in other words both húskarls in a sense.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The use of the word Huskarl differs from region to region. In Norway, it denotes a member of the household, while in Denmark it describes a man at arms.
"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
William P

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil U wrote:
William P wrote:

Good points, and thank you for the references to sources for clothing. I'd like to mix it up a bit if I can so blunt it shall be.

particularly check historic enterprises. they offer very good prices for what seem to be very good quality items and they sell a package of either viking or saxon clothing offering a tunic, shirt, legwraps, and pants, plus a 6 panel hat thrown in for free.
http://historicenterprises.com/outfit-viking-...ath=99_190 saving you a bit of money, its been reccomended to me, and i fully intend to take advantage of it,
the price is often cheaper than tunics or pants that are of much inferior quality, the tunic made by windlass ive been told is crap, and is even more expensive than the enterprises one.

so historic enterprises personally i suuggest you get stuff from them

as for the sabres and such, im not sure WHY about half the group have sabres considering, as is mentioned, the rus used straightswords, the head man of the group has in the past portrayed a qipchaq horsemanwhich might explain his gear, i cant explain the rest of them though one expressed he was going to abandon his sabre stating that 'its not very accurate' the older members have alot of byzantine equipment as well.

as for huskarl, i was drawing a link the saxon huskarls like those that fought at hastings, is roughly similarin terms of social status and level and type of equipment to that worn and wielded by the varangians

of course varangians armour being of a more eastern flavour, seeing lamellar as well as maile hauberks, different helmet style like those worn by the rus http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/...elmets.htm , plus the use of almond or teardrop shields in addition to viking round shields these are similar to the norman kite shield but are slightly different,
although some have freely chosen the path of a typical scandinavian. with spectacle and simple norman and viking style spangens

storesmund, my kit it horrendous right now. my helmet shield and sword are the only redeemable pieces.
i have a gambeson that would better suit a 14th century knight or sergent spearman. but comes close to matching a byzantine example aside from it being black, and it having buckles and straps which are a much later method of fastening,

generally i train in my running shoes since i dont yet have period leather shoes. , i also lack a period tunic AND trousers instead using the ones normally used for karate. uniform its really just my fighting gear over the top of essentially everyday clothes my vambrace to help protect my sword arm against accidentel injury is made out of modern galvanised steel sheet strips, with holes drilled in and sewn onto a leather backing. with leather welding gloves keeping my hands safe. which will be reinforced with maile and small plates, for safety sake.
im working to remedy that of course. starting with shoes tunic and trousers.

so trust me, it can get pretty bad. then again my reenacting budget is tiny.and i have close to zero textile or leather skills.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Lower class Viking age kit
Page 3 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: