Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cleaning ray Skin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Cleaning ray Skin         Reply with quote

I have asked this question before with lukewoarm response, butI'll try again. Anyone have any ideas for cleaning reayskin? My Cashen Anduril has/had white rayskin on the grip. It's now turning to a darker ivory color.The ivory is not a bad color, but the rayskin is different colors on different parts inf the grip so it looks splochy at the moment. Should I try and clean it or wait until the entore handle settles to the same color? Love to hear what experiences you guys have had, especially you baskethilt people :-)

Joel Whitmore
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning ray Skin         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
I have asked this question before with lukewoarm response, butI'll try again. Anyone have any ideas for cleaning reayskin? My Cashen Anduril has/had white rayskin on the grip. It's now turning to a darker ivory color.The ivory is not a bad color, but the rayskin is different colors on different parts inf the grip so it looks splochy at the moment. Should I try and clean it or wait until the entore handle settles to the same color? Love to hear what experiences you guys have had, especially you baskethilt people :-)

Joel Whitmore

Hey Joel,

As funny as this may sound, try toothpaste and a brush. The nodules (denticles) on the rayskin are made of dentin (same stuff as your teeth). I haven't tried this, but in theory it is sound. Be careful not to let it get too wet, as this will affect the rawhide part of the skin and cause it to loosen.

Jason Dingledine
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Minty Fresh feeling         Reply with quote

Believe ti or not Jason, Kevin told me that'swhat he used to clen some dirt spots out befoer he shipped me teh sword. Actually a toothpaste/peroxide mix. I have tried this but I find that it doesn't really change the color of the rayskin. The more I think about it, the more I think that exposure to air is what si causing the change in color and not dirt, grime or skin oils. I cna either put some crest tooth brightener on it at night (LOL) or just let nature take it's course. Am I right in assuming that the color change is a natural occurance?

Joel
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can tell you that on antique nihonto (Japanese swords) I have seen, even the best preserved samé (rayskin) is not a pure white but rather an ivory color. Not even certain if this is due to age or if the samples were always that color, but In fact, I consider it a positive, not a negative, as premium-level rayskin takes on an almost pearlescent effect (coupled with the naturally nodular surface, this makes for a striking handle material).

Not certain what causes it or how to encourage the best possible coloration. It may be a factor of use or the quality of the skin itself, or perhaps trace elements in the air (or air pollutants?). Sorry I can't be much help.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cleaning ray Skin
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic